SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Used vehicle cost of ownership theory.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used vehicle cost of ownership theory. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
My brother in law who is in the car business insists that Suburu, Honda, or Toyota is the best selection for a used vehicle. But, something is seriously out of wack when I can get a used Mercedes sedan for about the price of a used RAV 4. So, is Volvo, Mercedes, BMW, Audi really cost that much more to service run and own? A truck is what I have been driving and I would under normal circumstances get another one, but truck prices are outrageous in this this part of the country.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Yes, service cost will eat you up on the brands you named and they have lots of gadgets to break.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. 100%.

Nothing it out of whack. The market is correct. The added costs of maintenance and general unreliability of German luxury sedans will ad up quickly.

If you get a $1500 service bill on a Rav 4, something went seriously seriously awry. If you get a $1500 service bill on a German luxury sedan, people will tell you what a great deal you got.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with previous posts on German vehicles (Porsche, BMW). I always sell/trade before 50k miles on German autos.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, is Volvo, Mercedes, BMW, Audi really cost that much more to service run and own?

In a word, yes.

Just for example, look at the costs to replace a common wear item like a power window motor and regulator. On either a BMW or a Honda, not a lot of difference in the parts. Now look at doing the job. Should be about the same, right? But no, some German brain surgeon way over-engineered the BMW, and instead of a simple replacement, you find out the damn thing is actually riveted to the door frame. Now you're getting out the grinder or the drill to replace what in every other known vehicle is a nut and bolt job. Should be an hour or maybe 1.5 tops for a competent mechanic to do the whole job - instead you're on your knees grinding out rivets for three hours to do the same job you could have done in a half hour with a 10mm wrench on a Honda.

Pisses me off.

But they do drive good, and my aren't they pretty? Big Grin

In general, you'll find much higher mileage examples of Japanese and American cars than you will of European cars. Not because they won't run the miles, but because some crazy high dollar maintenance thing happened that caused the owner to abandon the remaining value of the car.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have kept track of maintenance on a few previous vehicles. A Toyota 4runnner, Sequoia and Camry. The two SUVs had about 85 thousand miles when purchased, the Camry around 70. The 4runner costs 8100 in maintenance over a 12 year (150k miles) period. The sequoia costs 3300 in maintenance over 3 years (35k miles) period. The camry 1800 over 4 years (50k miles) period.

Those numbers are anything besides gas. I count tires, oil changes, light bulbs. I try to do any scheduled preventive maintenance.

For me Ive proven to myself there is nothing wrong with a used car. My friend had a BMW 3 series, his experience was every trip to the mechanic cost him between 1000-1500. His car was very nice, and had way more in features, but also cost more to operate. Sold the camry a while back to someone I know, its over 300k miles and still doing fine.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The wife is on her third BMW. The first we had for a long time, but it didn’t get a lot of miles. The second we had for less time, but more miles. When the 100,000 mile warranty was about to run out we traded it. Never had much trouble with it, but wasn’t willing to take the chance. All the other vehicles are Toyotas, except the International 6x6 rolloff truck that serves as dump trunk, water truck, trash truck, semi tractor, whatever else we need. Toyotas just seem to keep on going regardless...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I were going to buy a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru, I would buy one brand new due to the same reasoning (they hold their value so well).

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, those brands out of warranty can eat you alive on repairs. Mercedes have a lot of electronics that can get costly to repair.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
A friend got what he thought was a great deal on a Mercedes SUV. Fast forward 12 months. The super magna electronic thermodynamic extra damping shock system required replacement to the tune of $5K. His first thought, and mine, I will go to regular shocks. BRAP, thanks for playing, better luck next time: NO ALTERNATIVE.

Needless to say, the Mercedes got the shocks and the boot.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a used Lexus RX350 after researching known problems. I thought I did well researching and was familiar with all the common problems but after buying have found out how expensive repairs can be. The stupid headlights which turn with the steering wheel can be $5000 to repair if they fail. There are some timing cover leaks that cost a few grand to fix. I’m regretting buying it now due to possible problems but I’m stuck with it so I’ll hope mine lives up to the reliability they are known for.
I bought an Accord brand new in 2008. It was a great car but developed a rear main seal leak right after I spent $1500 on a water pump, belt and timing belt replacement. I had planned on keeping it but got mad over the leak since it would cost over a grand to fix right after dumping all that money into the other maintenance. I like to do things myself and the more complex cars get the more I want to revert to an old school car that I can work on. For the cost of repairs on some ne cars I can buy an entire engine for an old school ride. Yes, newer cars are safer but I’ve never been in a car wreck since I was 16 so I’m not too concerned about that at this point in my life.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You obviously have never owned an older German automobile.

It's fun to do.

Once.

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
The wife is on her third BMW.... ...When the 100,000 mile warranty was about to run out we traded it...

Smartest thing you can do with a BMW, keep it under warranty then dump it before it ends.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I found that if you could do the work yourself (in my case, I did -- brake pads, control arm bushings, calipers, fluids), most things were not that out of whack in terms of cost. But anything serious would be pretty heavy on the service cost.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own Toyotas. Generally, nothing ever breaks. If it does, there are a bazillion on the road so parts are cheap, or so I am told. Haven't had a repair on one since...heck, I don't even know. We're on our fifth Corolla. I had a Tacoma for nine years, but sold it for 60 percent of what I paid for it when I retired. I'd REALLY like a Merc or BMW, but the maint/repair costs just put me off.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Also check on the price of insurance.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I found that if you could do the work yourself (in my case, I did -- brake pads, control arm bushings, calipers, fluids), most things were not that out of whack in terms of cost. But anything serious would be pretty heavy on the service cost.

I had a buddy with a high-mileage VW Passat. He did all the work himself and loved the car.

I had another buddy with several old Benzes. He let a shop do all the work, and loved the cars.

I've considered picking up an older German car, but I'm somewhere in the middle regarding my willingness to either do the work or send it to a shop.

There are TONS of videos on YouTube on this exact topic. So far, I know I should AVOID the BMW E46 3-series as if each of them were coated with Ebola from the factory. Yet the E39 5-series of similar vintage, doesn't have the same reputation.

IMHO, as long as you know what you are getting into, German vehicles are fine. Just don't expect something as reliable as an old Japanese car.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
having to buy a used car recently, I agree,

Toyota, Honda and Subaru have good resale value
with Subaru being the highest in this area

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's obviously a reason why an expensive luxury vehicle rapidly descends to the price of a small toyota suv. We were shopping around for my wife a car recently and I saw a late model Mercedes GLS suv for the same price as a new Honda Pilot. It was tempting but I walked away. One major issue with it and we're in the poor house.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I know I should AVOID the BMW E46 3-series as if each of them were coated with Ebola from the factory.

That's what I had and I thought it was amazing. It handled superbly. What complaints had you heard?

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
having to buy a used car recently, I agree,

Toyota, Honda and Subaru have good resale value
with Subaru being the highest in this area

I drive a Crosstrek now. Bought new in the fall of 2013 and I can't see anything that would make me want to sell it at this point. I love it. Quick off the line (0 to 20 maybe). So great in stop sign, stop light city driving. If you're mainly an in-town driver, I highly recommend it. It'll do highway wonderfully too. But the transition to highway (acceleration) is QUITE poor.