SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brake pads and rotors for 2007 1500 classic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake pads and rotors for 2007 1500 classic Login/Join 
Hey!
Hold my beer!
Picture of rkight3
posted
Time again for brake pads and rotors for my truck. Pretty sure rotors only lasted 2 brake pad changes, but can't remember where I got them. (now brake pedal pulsing).

It was either advanced auto or auto zone.

So, is only 2 sets of pads normal on front rotors?

Which rotors to get this time, and which brake pads? I like ceramic, a little noisy sometimes, but no brake dust.

Auto zone, advanced auto, Napa, or O'Reillys please.

Budget rotors or slightly better, not high end.

Posts: 2395 | Location: Western Kentucky. | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Wagner Thermoquiet pads and Wagner rotors. Always had good luck with them. They’re A LOT cheaper on amazon.com than the auto parts stores.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Agree. I only put Wagner’s on my vehicles. Tried others and they last longer and don’t put brake dust everywhere.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkight3:
So, is only 2 sets of pads normal on front rotors?

Which rotors to get this time, and which brake pads? I like ceramic, a little noisy sometimes, but no brake dust.

I would say it's normal these days. My take is that rotors are seen as expendable items these days unlike the old days where you could cut them a few times.

I like Raybestos brakes myself.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, rotors only last 1 or 2 brake changes.

I really like the EBC rotors and brake pads. Green pads and their normal rotors.

If I had to choose after that it would be OEM, then Wagner. In that order.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I don't think your going to get more then two sets of pads out of rotors these days.

For good rotors I like EBC but will often just put cheaper ones but with really good pads.

For cars I really like Hawk HPS but you will pay more then your normal pad.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wagner pads suck horse balls. The Advance platinum pads are 100 times superior.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Wagner pads suck horse balls. The Advance platinum pads are 100 times superior.

The Thermoquiets have always lasted me over 80,000 miles on my vehicles. Ymmv

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napa.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How many miles did you put on the rotors? Did you have them turned the first two times you replaced the pads? I'd try having them turned before replacing them.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I turn rotors only once.

I use NAPA Premium rotors on my vehicles.

My Toyota’s get factory Akebono pads everything else gets NAPA premium.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Performance Friction pads with high quality rotors (not made in China).

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the EBC yellow stuff pads and EBC plain rotors on the wife's GMC Acadia and couldn't be happier - that thing stops like my BMW now!

Posts: 441 | Location: Wichita, KS USA | Registered: April 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think the rotors wear out due to over tightening the lug nuts. I have over 206K miles on my 1990 C2500 and it has the original rotors.

I use the Wagner pads from Advance Auto Parts.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I think the rotors wear out due to over tightening the lug nuts. I have over 206K miles on my 1990 C2500 and it has the original rotors.

I use the Wagner pads from Advance Auto Parts.

Your truck is also 28 years old when weight and gas mileage weren’t huge in the equation. Now rotors are about as light and thin as humanly possible serious increase rate of warping and the ability to resurface them multiple times.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The rotors may be thinner which make it even more important to not over tighten the lug nuts.

The only rotors I ever replaced were on the 1992 Buick when the inspection station used an impact wrench on the lug nuts when I asked him not to. Dumb me should have re-tighten them when I got home.

Also I use asbestos pads verses the metallic pads. Better to wear the pads than the rotors.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I bought Brembo rotors and GM OEM quality level pads for my Buick, and the combination is outstanding. Brembo rotors are available on Amazon. GM has three quality levels of pads. OEM is top.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't help much on rotors but pads are one thing I always recommend OEM. It's been some time since a friend has roped me into doing brakes for them but it seemed like every time I did one with the usual replacement brands you had noise and dust issues.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rock auto, they have multiple quality levels.

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Rotors aren't made as thick as they used to be to save weight. You can usually only turn them once, maybe twice, before they're done.

As far as wear goes, driving style has more to do with reducing or increasing pad wear than anything else. I've seen people run through pads in 15k, while the pads on my car have over 100k on them and they're still at 5mm.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post