SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army to eliminate grenade-throwing requirement
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army to eliminate grenade-throwing requirement Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe that ending the requirement for grenade toss proficiency signals the end of Western civilization, or even the decline and fall of the US Army.

There are countless requirements for certain military jobs that aren’t required for others. Take general intelligence (IQ), for example. The two fields I served in, military intelligence and criminal investigations, required a higher than average GT score*—as did, the last time I checked—becoming an Army sniper. The authors of The Bell Curve pointed out that a higher IQ helps even with relatively menial jobs like bussing tables: the smart busser is capable of doing it faster and more efficiently and effectively than the not-so-smart. As was stated in a letter to the editor of The Wall Street Journal in response to criticisms of the book, “Whatever IQ tests measure, it is of great practical and social importance.”

Except (perhaps) under very specific and limited combat conditions I would rather deal with a soldier with a higher than average IQ than one who could throw a hand grenade farther than average. Unfortunately, though, the armed forces have enough trouble finding recruits who meet minimum physical fitness requirements these days without requiring them to be unusually smart as well.

* (Not that much higher, 110 versus 100, but higher nonetheless.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Man, I hate that training is gone. I recall fondly the days leading up to the live grenade throws, and how all of us grunts were filled with excitement at the prospect that we got to throw a live one.

Again, the training isn't being removed, just the grenade qualification test portion.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They'll be doing this in formation soon:

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Curious, how many here have been in the Army, how many of those have been in combat?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Any idea who made/makes the mount in the upper photo?

Ultimak. But it's discontinued.

Thank you. I guess I should start looking to see if there is anything similar still available.

Here ya go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genui...y-Rail-/262768595503

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
Here ya go...

Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gentleone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
How far is 30 meters? is it over 20 yards? Cuz I can throw a football about that far.

Up your IQ man.

For each individual, IQ is relatively stable in adulthood, and any training yields very modest and temporary results. Knowledge, however, can be much improved. Your comment was rude, counter-productive and your understanding of IQ incorrect. And to top it all off, it was Valentine's Day when you made that comment. Where's the love, man?

-Kevin

Posts: 485 | Location: SE Houston, TX | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
Curious, how many here have been in the Army, how many of those have been in combat?
Also, how many of you have ever thrown something? How many of you have thrown several things?

Show of hands?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I threw a lot of rocks when I was a kid. Does that count?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, that counts.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was in the Army but never saw combat. No regrets for that fact.

Before that, I threw baseballs, softballs, basketballs, footballs, rocks, etc. But every boy in my neighborhood did the same because that is what we all did in the '50's' and '60's. We could throw anything, some better than others of course, so throwing a grenade was nothing difficult and it was a highlight of basic training.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the decision to teach grenades but get rid of the qual requirement in basic is fine.

Lots of millenials, male and female, can't throw for jack. We see it all the time in our infantry transition courses.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, show of hands-

How many of you have ever pulled on something? Doesn't have to be a pin.

Just trying to get a clearer picture here.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OK, show of hands-

How many of you have ever pulled on something? Doesn't have to be a pin.

Just trying to get a clearer picture here.

I've pulled on something.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
{makes notation in small notebook}

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I was in the Army but never saw combat. No regrets for that fact.

Before that, I threw baseballs, softballs, basketballs, footballs, rocks, etc. But every boy in my neighborhood did the same because that is what we all did in the '50's' and '60's. We could throw anything, some better than others of course, so throwing a grenade was nothing difficult and it was a highlight of basic training.

Jim

Not only was there the fun of throwing something like a baseball but it went BANG! when it landed, sometimes before. How great is that?

We didn’t get to throw hand grenades in the Navy, but we did eat pretty good, and slept mostly warm and dry.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Pop quiz:

Is this man throwing a grenade?

How about these people?

How about this guy?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I started throwing grenades as a kid. And not them little M85's, but pinapple grenades. (a weighted dummy one and an empty real one) Even as a kid, the limiting factor on how far you could throw it was the size of the yard. Big Grin

As an adult I've only thrown flash bang trainers, and those are wimpy. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

No more "Rock Back! Pull Pin! THROW!"?

Sad.......

Its a bit more complex.

Consult the Book of Armaments. Chapter two, verses nine to twenty-one.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post