New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice Hockey Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I played in high school and then later in the beer leagues. Being in NYC there were several high powered agents on my team, including the one reping Brian Leech. I got to know Manny Malhotra casually through some summer hockey, and Terry Gregson when he was the president of the ref's union. Every professional player I ever met was a regular working class guy who seemed completely unimpressed with his professional status.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
<snip>
In my opinion no sports team has had a better logo than the Fighting Saints.
<snip>

Agree about the excellence of the Fighting Saints logo! I have a window decal (never applied to a window) with that logo. Had season tickets for several years. Two of the three Carlson brothers were in Paul Newman's movie, "Slap Shot" (Jack was still with the team).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker: Two of the three Carlson brothers were in Paul Newman's movie, "Slap Shot" (Jack was still with the team).

As an insignificant side note, the Carlson brothers were from my home town and were students in my dad's 6th grade class.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I've greatly enjoyed reading the responses. My OP wasn't intended as a knock. I just thought it a humorous description for someone like me who has never been around the sport or strapped on "knife shoes" even recreationally.

Many years ago, in the military and out on liberty with a bunch of buddies in Europe, we ran into a hockey player and his wife at a bar.

My buddies who were into hockey were wide eyed and amazed at who we'd run into in the bar. He was a semi-well known professional player (one of my buddies recognized him) who played in Europe during the off season. I don't recall his name.

The thing is, what several have stated about hockey players being humble struck a cord about the encounter I had with the pro player out in town at a bar somewhere in Europe. The guy was VERY down to earth and humble. Shoot ... his wife spoke more of his experiences, accomplishments, and hockey in general than he did LOL. She was very proud of him and loved the sport. Just a great guy to have a beer with. Good people.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
We've got a pretty good expansion team here in town, shocking that Vegas would become a hockey city.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post