New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ice Hockey Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I played growing up and had the opportunity to play in Canada for a couple summers, and had a ball. NHL guys were our coaches.

Used to have a partial season ticket plan to the Caps, and that was also great fun. Even my wife became a big fan.

Hard to watch on TV, though, more so than most other sports.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by safespot:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I have a Detroit Redwings sweater (w/ a Russian name on it Eek -Russian collusion!)

I own no NFL, NBA, or MLB wear.

You didn't call it a jersey. I think you may be into hockey a little more than you let on.

Yep. You called it. If you know it's not a jersey than you're a fan.

PS
I've definitely secretly cheered for the Russians, Ovi, Kuzy, Orlov.

My sweater is #16.
quote:
Konstantinov's jersey #16 has not been officially retired by the Red Wings; however, out of respect for Konstantinov, no player has been given the number since. In 1999, newly acquired Pat Verbeek, who had worn #16 for much of his career, switched to #15. A similar situation occurred in 2001 when the Red Wings signed Brett Hull, who had worn #16 for the bulk of his career with the St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars; Hull switched to #17. Prospect Xavier Ouellet, who wears #16 as a member of the Grand Rapids Griffins, wears #61 for the Red Wings.

Posts: 7381 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Great thread. Great sport.

I haven't met a player yet who was standoffish or didn't appreciate a fan saying hi. Lots of good times at the rink.

I give tickets away to friends who have little kids so they can start their kids off with the sport and another friend who has an autistic son and his doctor believes that all the action on the ice is good for him to stimulate his mind.

Posts: 4088 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Leave it to Jim Carr and a goalie to help

Unline some sports, hockey players have great respect for the National Anthem (NSFW)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38006 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I love hockey and played for years. We don't have hockey in Buffalo anymore, we just have the Sabres.

Posts: 3471 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Being from Minnesota hockey is religion. A few of my friends are ex NHL players. Two are Stanley Cup winning veterans. They are not much different now than when they grew up here playing high school hockey. The only difference is they live in bigger nicer homes now.
One of them played bar league softball with us once his NHL days were over. Him and I were sitting at the bar having a burger between games and he pulled out his phone and ordered a $300 softball bat and asked if I wanted one. He thought nothing of it. I declined the offer as I knew it was a waste of his money. A bat wasn't going to make me any better. Big Grin
Because of him I was allowed the honor of lifting the Stanley Cup when he brought it home.

Brett Hull played his college hockey here. So much fun to watch him he was clearly the best player on the ice every night he played. And he played against some who are now in the HOF.

Randomly ran into Neal Broten several times over the years. One of the Miracle on Ice participants and a Minnesota North Star hall of famer. Seen him at A Perkins and we got to talking. He sat with my 13 year old son for a half hour while I ran home and got his number 7 North Star sweater for him to autograph.
Great guy. We wanted to talk hockey he wanted to talk fishing! BTW Neal is probably the one and only NHL'er to actually get in a fight with Wayne Gretzky! I really wanted to ask him about that but just never got to it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
Hockey is my favorite, watching it live is better than any other sport... Wish we had a pro team but this state sucks that won't be happening anytime soon

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lcbjr77:
Hockey is my favorite, watching it live is better than any other sport... Wish we had a pro team but this state sucks that won't be happening anytime soon

Yeah you are going to be waiting awhile I'd guess. I have never understood why Wisconsin does not have a NHL team. They are as every bit hockey crazy as Minnesota! But then again we went a good many years without a team as well.
Sports politics suck!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
The players in the NHL seem a lot more down to earth than any other league.

Not too many inner city yute' playing in the NHL. For the most part, hockey players come from families that cared enough to drive them to early AM practices so they could get their ice time starting out, purchased and hauled bags of expensive equipment all over the state for tournaments and sat on cold arena benches watching games for years. Slightly different demographic than many other sports.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I have one too, he's my favroite player.

My sweater is #16.
quote:
Konstantinov's jersey #16 has not been officially retired by the Red Wings; however, out of respect for Konstantinov, no player has been given the number since. In 1999, newly acquired Pat Verbeek, who had worn #16 for much of his career, switched to #15. A similar situation occurred in 2001 when the Red Wings signed Brett Hull, who had worn #16 for the bulk of his career with the St. Louis Blues and Dallas Stars; Hull switched to #17. Prospect Xavier Ouellet, who wears #16 as a member of the Grand Rapids Griffins, wears #61 for the Red Wings.
[/QUOTE]

Posts: 322 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I have a Detroit Redwings sweater (w/ a Russian name on it Eek -Russian collusion!)

I own no NFL, NBA, or MLB wear.

I forgive you.

Posts: 7550 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Great sport.. Must be seen Live to be enjoyed fully. It is so fast and you can not see that on TV.
My son played in High school.

OTOH, those multiple angle, slow motion instant replays are kinda nice. But nowadays they usually show them on the big arena monitors too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I like Hockey, every game I've been to I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Growing up in the Midwest it was never a "big thing" so it was not engrained in my culture so I don't really follow it much.
So it really much a factor to me except when around my in-laws (and wife) who are from Pittsburgh.
Nothing bad to say but it just never "took" as a kid. Frown

Now GOLF > THAT is my passion. Cool

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
The players in the NHL seem a lot more down to earth than any other league.

Not too many inner city yute' playing in the NHL. For the most part, hockey players come from families that cared enough to drive them to early AM practices so they could get their ice time starting out, purchased and hauled bags of expensive equipment all over the state for tournaments and sat on cold arena benches watching games for years. Slightly different demographic than many other sports.

Exactly. Money and caring parents are what make the difference when it comes to hockey players. The Rangers have a nice program for the inner city kids - Ice Hockey in Harlem I believe it's called. Mark Messier and Adam Graves are big on helping with it.

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randomly ran into Neal Broten several times over the years.

Paul Broten is still one of my all time favorite Rangers. Wise ass, instigator, etc. The mouth was always running and he got under the other players' skin. Lol.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Rightwire posted videos from a movie.
The more interesting story is that of the real life players the movie was based on.

Played hockey as a kid and remember going to the Civic Center to watch the Fighting Saints with my dad.
Those were great times.

In my opinion no sports team has had a better logo than the Fighting Saints.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My son's peewee team was the fighting saints.

Posts: 7485 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OLD TIME HOCKEY...

EDDIE SHORE...

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Far and away my favorite sport. I grew up playing basketball but really got into hockey in college when we had a great team and went to the national championship game. Been an avid fan ever since. For the past few years, my wife and I have had season tickets to the Manchester Monarchs. They used to be in the AHL but where bumped to the ECHL by the LA Kings.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2390 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post