SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year II
Page 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 308

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency : Year II Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Snipped from jstex56's post:

SCIF stands for Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, and it is where the most sensitive classified material is kept and story (*stored, edited by me). SCIFs strictly bar all electronic equipment and require all people place their phones in lockers before entering.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
SCIF stands for Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility, and it is where the most sensitive classified material is kept and story. SCIFs strictly bar all electronic equipment and require all people place their phones in lockers before entering.

Yes. Sorry Para, I sometimes forget that most people don’t know about them.

Pronounced “Skiff”.

If you’ve ever watched NCIS, and they badge into that special room where they video teleconference from, that’s a SCIF.

It’s virtually a mortal sin to be caught inside one with a Fitbit, smartphone, iPod, any gadget.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
We periodically have someone screw up and bring their device in the SCIF. It's ALWAYS reported, device is ALWAYS taken, and often not returned. It's 50/50 if you get paperwork afterwards. Bringing any transmitting device into a SCIF is a big deal.

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
We periodically have someone screw up and bring their device in the SCIF. It's ALWAYS reported, device is ALWAYS taken, and often not returned. It's 50/50 if you get paperwork afterwards. Bringing any transmitting device into a SCIF is a big deal.

or thumb drive, or memory card, or just about any other electronic device. If it can record, store, copy or transmit data, it's a no-go in a SCIF.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I worked in a SCIF also. My experience is similar to what others have said.

There are constant warnings about bringing a cell phone into the facility. Rarely, very rarely, someone would say "oh shit" and realize they had a device that was prohibited. That was always addressed immediately.

If it was an honest mistake and the person had a clean security record, they would typically be written up in some form but not too serious a penalty.

Although I never saw it happen, I would expect someone who did it 2 or 3 times would lose their clearance for carelessness.

I never saw anyone actually try to use a cell phone in a SCIF. The other personnel would likely go into shock seeing that.

from Nov 2016

https://nypost.com/2016/11/06/...lassified-materials/

As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton routinely asked her maid to print out sensitive government emails and documents — including ones containing classified information — from her house in Washington, DC, emails and FBI memos show. But the housekeeper lacked the security clearance to handle such material.

In fact, Marina Santos was called on so frequently to receive emails that she may hold the secrets to emailgate — if only the FBI and Congress would subpoena her and the equipment she used.

Clinton entrusted far more than the care of her DC residence, known as Whitehaven, to Santos. She expected the Filipino immigrant to handle state secrets, further opening the Democratic presidential nominee to criticism that she played fast and loose with national security.

Clinton would first receive highly sensitive emails from top aides at the State Department and then request that they, in turn, forward the messages and any attached documents to Santos to print out for her at the home.

Santos also had access to a highly secure room called an SCIF (sensitive compartmented information facility) that diplomatic security agents set up at Whitehaven, according to FBI notes from an interview with Abedin.

From within the SCIF, Santos — who had no clearance — “collected documents from the secure facsimile machine for Clinton,” the FBI notes revealed.

Just how sensitive were the papers Santos presumably handled? The FBI noted Clinton periodically received the Presidential Daily Brief — a top-secret document prepared by the CIA and other US intelligence agencies — via the secure fax.

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
2340 said:
((Personally, I hope her fate gets far worse (debarred, divorced, and imprisoned is a good start) and that she ends up sleeping under a bridge with a busted shopping cart holding her possessions. But I'm confident that prospect wasn't part of her decision making process.))

Actually I think that's a little harsh. You hope her shopping cart is busted? Have you no pity? The rest is good though.

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Strzok could have stepped outside the SCIF to place a call, then put his cell back in the locker. If so, his text message would be reasonably accurate.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The Grassley memo reportedly says the Senate Judiciary Comm is looking at Jonathan Winer, formerly of State Dept. The State Dept is also the next focus of Devin Nunes.

Jonathan Winer responds in an article he wrote for Wash Post

another big twist in the story. Some of the same old players pop up

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.dff01659f753

Devin Nunes is investigating me. Here’s the truth. by Jonathan Winer

for the moment, just leaving the link.

this is pretty convoluted but it says a report got passed like this:

Cody Shearer (long time Clinton dirty tricks operator) to

Sid Blumenthal (long time Clinton dirty tricks operator) to

Jonathan Winer (former State Dept) to

Christopher Steele, who then passed it to the FBI

Jonathan Winer was in the Bill Clinton State Dept. He left after Clinton's last term.

Winer meets Steele in 2009

In 2013 Winer goes back to State Dept at the request of John Kerry

Winer provides Victoria Nuland (State Dept) reports from Steele about Russia

Winer gives over 100 Steele reports to the State Dept Russia experts.

Remember Steele left MI6 in 2009

The dossier is almost 2 years old (first report was 20 June 2016). And we never heard a word that Steele was supplying State Dept w Russia reports.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Strzok could have stepped outside the SCIF to place a call, then put his cell back in the locker. If so, his text message would be reasonably accurate.

While certainly possible, the wording is interesting though.

quote:
“We’re in Jims SCIF.”

Emphasis, mine.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
How can these people be so mind boggingly stupid to transmit these things over unencrypted text or email.

How are these texts popping up? Saved on phones? Seized in mid air by spy/intel agencies and stored?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Cause they didn't think they'd get caught.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
How can these people be so mind boggingly stupid to transmit these things over unencrypted text or email.

How are these texts popping up? Saved on phones? Seized in mid air by spy/intel agencies and stored?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
These are government issued devices/phones, all correspondence is required to be archived. It is supposed to be captured by the issuing agency using various methods/software.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Report This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Cause they didn't think they'd get caught.

As bad as it all is, that part right there really bothers me. They were so confident that what they were doing would never see the light of day, that were would be zero oversight into all of this. They thought they had it in the bag! What they did was beyond wrong, but they did it with arrogance and malice to boot.

The FBI and DOJ, and any other government agency packed with Obama era appointees and hires all need to be cleaned out.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Report This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who have personal experience in this area, your credibility adds to my shock at their outrageous behavior.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The building I used to work in had 30 or more SCIFs. Every single one looked very similar to this (random pic off the internet, not mine):

You can't "not know", or "forget".

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Santos also had access to a highly secure room called an SCIF (sensitive compartmented information facility) that diplomatic security agents set up at Whitehaven, according to FBI notes from an interview with Abedin.

From within the SCIF, Santos — who had no clearance — “collected documents from the secure facsimile machine for Clinton,” the FBI notes revealed.

Just how sensitive were the papers Santos presumably handled? The FBI noted Clinton periodically received the Presidential Daily Brief — a top-secret document prepared by the CIA and other US intelligence agencies — via the secure fax.

Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
--- Sir John Harington

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Rachel Brand, associate attorney general in the Department of Justice, is stepping down from her position, Fox News has confirmed. Brand, the No. 3 official in the DOJ, will be leaving following a nine-month tenure in the role.

A friend of Brand’s says Rachel was “not looking to leave,” but was approached by a Fortune 500 company with a “dream job.”

News of Brand’s departure was first reported by The New York Times.

In the line of succession, Brand has been behind Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. Rosenstein is overseeing Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. She was in line to oversee the investigation if Rosenstein stepped down.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from the Russia inquiry.

Currie Gunn, Brand’s assistant, has also left the department, according to The Times.

Link

Hoo boy! This may not be good. Confirming her replacement is going to touch off an all hands no holds barred war.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't watch Hannity very often but I've tuned in tonight. He's laying it out and observes correctly that it's nearly impossible to keep up with all of this. Man oh man. "Watergate on steroids", as he put it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend of mine who works at electric boat. From what she tells me, she can have her phone at her desk, however if she enters the manufacturing facility or anywhere with a window to the manufacturing facility her phone is not allowed. No tolerance, instant firing and questioning by DOD.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Diane Feinstein has refuted the Grassley memo.

Here is her statement:

https://www.feinstein.senate.g...eferral-analysis.pdf

I have gone thru it and compared to Grassley memo.

Here is the key to why Grassley is saying that Steele should be investigated:

The Isikoff report of 23 Sept 2016 is critical to this issue.

Steele briefed Isikoff. We know that. Isikoff admitted it. Isikoff published his story.

Grassley says that in the FISA application the FBI says Steele briefed Mother Jones in late October 2016. Because of the October brief, the FBI suspended its relationship w Steele.

The dates are essential to understand the trick that was played. Since the FBI said Steele talked to the press for the first time in October , they said Steele did not share dossier info w Isikoff for his September report.

Then the FBI said the Isikoff story and the dossier corroborated each other.

That is it. That is the deceitful trick.

That is why Grassley says at the end of his memo: DoJ has to determine if Steele lied to the FBI or if "the FBI's representations to the court were in error."

Grassley is saying what was presented to the court was not true. He is politely saying there are 2 possibilities:

1) Steele lied to FBI that he did not brief Isikoff. Thus the FBI incorrectly thought the 2 documents were independent, or

2) The FBI knew Steele had talked to Isikoff, and they lied to the court

If you read Feinsteins rebuttal, keep the above in mind. Almost everything Feinstein says is smoke to obscure

If option 1) above is true, the FBI exhibited gross incompetence.

No wonder the FBI doesn't want this to come out.

They were either liars or grossly incompetent.

Actually I think the proper evaluation for this matter, is that they were both.