SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can they replace the battery while you wait or is it a big hairy assed deal to get a new battery?

I had one done, took about 20 minutes with an appointment.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Can they replace the battery while you wait or is it a big hairy assed deal to get a new battery?

This and it's $69.99 right now. That's the route I'd go on an X right now if the phone still meets your needs.

I too like the regular Apple silicon case and have had no damage from using one, but I'm only getting about a year about them before they start seperating and falling apart.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

This and it's $69.99 right now. That's the route I'd go on an X right now if the phone still meets your needs.

I too like the regular Apple silicon case and have had no damage from using one, but I'm only getting about a year about them before they start seperating and falling apart.

Thanks for the battery info guys. I agree the silicone cases tend to wear out. I get just about two years out of mine. On my 4, I used MagPul cases which lasted forever. However their fit consistency was nowhere as good as an Apple case and they tended to leave a weird greasy residue on the back and sides of the phone.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

Thanks for the battery info guys. I agree the silicone cases tend to wear out. I get just about two years out of mine. On my 4, I used MagPul cases which lasted forever. However their fit consistency was nowhere as good as an Apple case and they tended to leave a weird greasy residue on the back and sides of the phone.

just FYI - https://support.apple.com/ipho...ervice/battery-power

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll be preordering the pro max next week

My question is...

I still have the original unlimited data plan since iPhone 1. Think ATT will force the change to a new plan to get the 5G network? They have tried to force me to change in prior years. I see Verizon only offers 5G on the upper tier plans

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Tell AT&T to kiss your ass, you want to keep your plan.

I just pre ordered mine and there was no mention of a special plan for 5g from TMobile.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
<snip>
I went back and forth on the Pro since I posted early in this thread. I ended up going with the standard 12.
<snip>

For me, the principal advantage of the 12 Pro over the 12 is that it has a third camera with a “telephoto” lens in addition to cameras with wide and ultra wide lenses.

That “telephoto” lens is 52 mm equivalent focal length, which I consider to be “normal”, rather than “telephoto”, but that’s OK by me. If its focal length was longer, there’d be too big a gap over the wide angle camera.

Cameras are important for me. Even with my two-camera iPhone X the photos are so good that I rarely use my Sony RX10 anymore.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

My question is...

I still have the original unlimited data plan since iPhone 1. Think ATT will force the change to a new plan to get the 5G network? They have tried to force me to change in prior years. I see Verizon only offers 5G on the upper tier plans

Look into what 5G really means in your location right now. 5G will be great, but right now in most places it's still garbage. Even if it is there, it's not ready for prime time. I don't think I would give up a great grandfathered plan for the promise of 5G that doesn't have coverage most places and can drop when you turn a corner in places that do.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ones-not-worth-it-5g

That article talks about Android, but the 5G issues will affect iPhone users exactly the same.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sprint says I might get one in a month.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

My question is...

Look into what 5G really means in your location right now. 5G will be great, but right now in most places it's still garbage. Even if it is there, it's not ready for prime time. I don't think I would give up a great grandfathered plan for the promise of 5G that doesn't have coverage most places and can drop when you turn a corner in places that do.

https://www.businessinsider.co...ones-not-worth-it-5g

That article talks about Android, but the 5G issues will affect iPhone users exactly the same.

Unfortunately, yes. Current LTE plans do not enable access to 5G only LTE.

PS - I also had the grandfathered unlimited plan as well for me and the wife. At the time it was an extra $45 each line to maintain it and every yr or so they would increase by $5. I eventually gave them up and honestly haven't looked back. My current plan has hotspot capable and unlimited talk/text/data. Right now with a first responder discount and three lines, I'm paying $127 a month with auto pay.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
I have been an apple fanboy since the first iPhone, and for quite some time I got the new iPhone every year upon its release. The X was the last real "worth it" upgrade for me, and then I stopped upgrading for a while. It just wasn't worth it. I think the 12 Pro finally caught my eye. I ordered the 12 Pro on launch, and it should be here any minute today!

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Ended up switching to a Black iPhone 12 since the Blue was a brighter color than I’d initially thought. So far I’m digging it much more than the SE (2020 model) that I’d previously had. I didn’t really like the iPhone 11 last year due to its size, weight, and low resolution screen. This iPhone 12 has a much better screen, isn’t quite as big as the iPhone 11, and is quite a bit lighter.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Is the silicone case a softer type?

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I saw on the news tonight that supposedly some carriers are offering a “free” iPhone 12 with the trade-in of an iPhone 8 or higher. I have an 8 Plus and had no intention of getting the 12, but now I think I will call AT&T and see if I can really get it for free. There has to be some type of catch as not much in life is free.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got mine tonight. Both my wife and I had trouble with activation with Verizon.

She was able to get through it by resetting her phone several times (it was apparent on macrumors.com forums that other people used this to get their phones to activate).

Mine wasn’t hanging up at the same spot....I was able to get further through and actually get my phone restored from my iCloud backup from my iPhone X and it still wasn’t activated through Verizon.

I tried calling and sat on hold for over 25 minutes while I initiated a live chat through the verizon app on my old phone and got an agent there to activate it.

I had to provide the IMEI and ICCID numbers for the new phone in order for them to activate it.

To get to those numbers open up the Settings app, click on General and then About. Scroll down a little bit and it’s in the section that says Primary at the top....the 3rd and 4th numbers there. Just in case anyone else has these problems with their phones. Hope this helps.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a 12 Pro this afternoon.

I had a 6s Plus at home and an 8 at work. My wife has an Xs.

This is the first new phone I've bought for myself since the 4s came out back in 2011 so I figured it was time. Forking out a G was not easy to do, but since I've come to live on the damn thing and I'll probably keep it for four years like my last phone I figured it was worth it. It took me about 25 minutes to fully setup doing the phone-to-phone transfer which was pretty cool.

The camera completely blows the 6s Plus and 8 out of the water...not even worth comparing. Just from futzing around with it for a few hours tonight it is readily apparent just how much better the 12 Pro takes pictures in low-light or near darkness compared to even the Xs.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Got the 11 with uag case and tech armor screen protector (ballistic glass).

Everything went well including activation, update to 14.1, and config/data/app transfer from old phone (surprisingly painless).

Need to decide about apple care. Other than that - gtg for the next 30 months I guess

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 12 to replace my X Should be here on Monday. I have never had a problem with apple phones and usually get a new one every two years.

Posts: 419 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
It’s always interesting to see people come in to the iPhone threads and talk about other brands of phones. Great entertainment.....

Guilty. I did just because I'm excited about my new toy. Got it set up yesterday heading out to get 5g sim card shortly. Can't wait to play with it.

I'm easily amused like a little kid with a new toy, it's been two years since I've had a new one, I want to see how the camera performs. My iPhone is already 5g, not impressed with the coverage or the speed. Hopefully TMobile does 5g better than AT&T does.

Which work iPhone do you have? ATT has been using fake 5GE for awhile now and they've been mocked and I believe sued for the false advertising. I haven't taken the jump into a 12 yet.. still debating if I'd want to pay extra for the new 5G plans on ATT, LTE works fine for me.

My work one is a Xr, I don't think the phone is the weak part of my coverage/speed issues. I think it's the AT&T coverage. I work in Ashburn, I should have zero issues with coverage there, but I do. When I got my new T-Mobile 5G sim card for my personal phone, they gave it to me for free with no mention of additional charges monthly. Just ran a few tests on it and I'm getting 30Mbps up/down on it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Just shipped my 12 Pro from China. Due to be here by Tuesday. Eek

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post