SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple iPhone 12 unveiled
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple iPhone 12 unveiled Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I finally found a site with good info about the equipment focal lengths of the iPhone 12 Pro cameras. “Equivalent” isn’t quite right, since cameras using 35mm film generally have 3:2 aspect ratios whereas iPhone cameras have 4:3 aspect ratios. All three cameras have image stabilization. I’m loving my new iPhone 12 Pro!

* Camera type: Smartphone with 12Mp triple-camera system
* Ultra wide: 13mm (equivalent) f/2.4 with 120° field of view
* Wide: 26mm (equivalent) f/1.6, 7-element lens
* Telephoto: 52mm (equivalent) f/2.0, 6-element lens

https://camerajabber.com/revie...2-pro-camera-review/

The site says “The lenses are unprotected”. That’s wrong – a sheet of transparent material (sapphire?) covers all three camera lenses.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I finally found a site with good info about the equipment focal lengths of the iPhone 12 Pro cameras. “Equivalent” isn’t quite right, since cameras using 35mm film generally have 3:2 aspect ratios whereas iPhone cameras have 4:3 aspect ratios. All three cameras have image stabilization. I’m loving my new iPhone 12 Pro!

* Camera type: Smartphone with 12Mp triple-camera system
* Ultra wide: 13mm (equivalent) f/2.4 with 120° field of view
* Wide: 26mm (equivalent) f/1.6, 7-element lens
* Telephoto: 52mm (equivalent) f/2.0, 6-element lens

https://camerajabber.com/revie...2-pro-camera-review/

The site says “The lenses are unprotected”. That’s wrong – a sheet of transparent material (sapphire?) covers all three camera lenses.
I used to chase stuff like this down the rabbit hole, but no more. The quality of the lense on a DSLR is one thing, but the software backing that lense on a cellphone is even more important. Look at the camera lense specs on the new Pixel 5 phone. They're darn near archaic. If memory serves, the cameras are the same as the Pixel 2 used. Yet with Google's camera software, the Pixel 5 takes some of the best (if not best) pics/video of any cellphone on the market. Apple's processing software is also excellent. But there are numerous cellphones on the market sporting high end lenses that take mediocre pics because their processing software is subpar.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I got my iPhone 12 Pro, and I’m loving it. I also found a great belt clip case for it.

Some folks may be interested in this report of SPEEDTEST results, all readings taken at the same spot in my home using the SPEEDTEST app on my iPhones.

iPhone X on T-Mobile 4G:
Date Up Down Ping Jitter
Mbps Mbps ms ms
10/30 61.4 26.9 28 9.0
10/31 74.7 10.5 31 14.0
11/01 41.9 23.1 51 8.6
11/02 74.0 12.6 51 6.2
11/03 67.5 19.4 47 4.8
------------------------------
Avg 63.9 18.5 41.6 8.52

iPhone 12 on T-Mobile 5G:
Date Up Down Ping Jitter
Mbps Mbps ms ms
11/04 137 29.0 33 2.0
11/05 112 35.9 49 11.0
11/06 145 33.3 28 4.8
11/07 149 34.1 51 7.7
11/08 157 44.7 28 3.7
------------------------------
Avg 140 35.4 38 5.8

Both upload and download speeds are about twice as fast. That improvement is really noticeable when I use the iPhone’s hotspot to provide an Internet connection for my MacBook – the only Internet connection I have for it. 5G speeds will get even better over time.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
report of SPEEDTEST results

Do you have those up/down times reversed? Speedtest shows down first I think?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
report of SPEEDTEST results

Do you have those up/down times reversed? Speedtest shows down first I think?

Thanks. You’re correct – those column labels are indeed reversed. Sorry about that.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
Ordered an iPhone 12 Mini unlocked in the hard to find black color to replace my iPhone X Max. I've decided to get the smaller footprint this time around. The cameras seem good enough on the Mini

Although I remain an AT&T customer, I wanted a unlocked version in case I wanted to make a change with little drama.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After a comedy of errors (on my part) I picked up a 12 pro max today

I preordered last week, but when I did I selected the Baton Rouge. I showed up at the New Orleans Apple store at my selected appt time. OOPS!!! I’d ordered with my Apple Card so cancelling the order was easy on the store app. they issued a refund almost immediately. I then reordered the the phone again to pick up in New Orleans. The earliest appt time was 4 hrs later. I went and had lunch, wandered around for a bit, while walking back to the truck past the Apple store I asked a guy if any earlier times had opened. He responded no, but also asked if I’d received the ready to pick up email, which I had, 5 min later and 2 hours earlier than my appt time I was walking away with the phone. Awesome customer service having someone positioned for simple pick up items.

I ended up with a pacific blue (which is toned down it seems from the regular 12). I like it

Haven’t gotten into real world testing of functions yet really. It’s definitely much snappier and responsive than the 11pro Max it’s replacing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Verizon has a BOGO on the iPhone 12 Pro.
Just ordered one in Pacific Blue 256 GB for me, and one in Graphite 128 GB for my son.
The Graphite one ships tomorrow, the Pacific Blue December 16.
I was going to let my son have my model X, but couldn’t pass up the BOGO.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 12 Pedometer

I have a good GPS app to measure the distance of my daily walks: GPS Odometer Pro. It has simple, but comprehensive controls. I tried several GPS apps, but this one was best for me.

iPhones have a built-in Health app that has a pedometer-based walking distance report. With my iPhone X, the pedometer report differed from the GPS report by as much as 0.2 miles after a several mile walk.

But after a couple of dozen trials the iPhone 12 pedometer has alwas agreed exactly with the GPS report, within its 0.1 mile resolution.

GPS Odometer has a resolution of 0.001 miles, but I know, from walking the exact same particular route many times, that its accuracy is no better than 0.1 miles.

From now on I’ll rely on the 12’s pedometer exclusively. Its accelerometer is flat out impressive!

Serious about crackers

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that, Pipe Smoker. I normally use Walkmeter, but have to remember to reset it each time. If the iOS/iPhone 12 is accurate enough, we lazy folks can rely on the info in the Health app.
Working on trying to get my son, who is on a stringent weight loss program, to monitor his activity level as a motivator.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have hearing aids that connect to your iPhone there are issues with iPhone 12.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020...device-sound-issues/

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
No issues with mine.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post