SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine there being anything other than a not guilty verdict??

When is this supposed to be decided? My mother is talking about being in Baltimore Sunday.

Being this is one with murder charges, a not guilty could bring some unrest.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Judge Williams also mentioned that defense may "truncate their case."

Ouch!!! That doesn't sound good for somebody.

Is that the equivalent of the run-rule in little league?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Judge Williams also mentioned that defense may "truncate their case."

Translation. "Lets not drag this abysmal case on any longer. Prosecution is wasting everyone's time at this point."

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's time to start thinking about the liberal application of tar and feathers on Baltimore city government officials.

What a waste of taxpayer money, and a nightmare for the police officers. Mad

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
How can any of them actually do their job now that they know they'll be thrown under the political bus? Damn shame what's happened there.

If I were an officer there, I'd be looking at transfers sooner than later to a department that will back you up.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This whole thing has been a disaster from day one. Mosby and her office couldn't look any worse. The little bit of "evidence" they had, they tried to hide from the defense.

They even tried to set them up with a favorable Judge and it's still blowing up in their faces. I hope all of these officers win their lawsuit against Mosby! Especially when she is forced to drop the charges and not even try the remaining officers.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I hope all of these officers win their lawsuit against Mosby! Especially when she is forced to drop the charges and not even try the remaining officers.

You think she has enough class to do the right thing and DROP CHARGES? Not a cold day in hell. Smug bitch.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tar and feathers

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tar and feathers

That's a great idea for her next photo shoot in Vogue

http://www.vogue.com/13274162/...altimore-prosecutor/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tar and feathers

That's a great idea for her next photo shoot in Vogue

http://www.vogue.com/13274162/...altimore-prosecutor/

Hey, she might just be on Judge Judy again.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Fired

From a circus cannon

Into the Potomac.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
There won't be any backlash against the politicians who persecuted these officers, the reason they failed in obtaining justice for poor Freddy will be, 1.) White privilege, 2.) George W. Bush, 3.) White racists who hate Obama and love Trump, and finally the ever present white evil the NRA. They won't ever mention Freddy was POS drug dealer and felon, who caused his own injuries and that they saw political mileage in trying to burn cops. NO NONE OF THAT. This was racial and social justice. Can America take another 8 years of this?

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Judge Williams denies motion for judgment of acquittal. Charges go forward to next phase of trial, which is def presentation.

apparently prosecution has rested

first def witness Det Corey Alston, another of the lead investigators
Alston testifies that manner of death was discussed with medical examiner, but isn't allowed to say what was discussed

State says he didn't take notes of mtg.
"I did"
"Did you ever produce to state?"
"Yes"
"Do you have a copy?"
"I do"
Schatzow reviews notes w his back to Alston. He then says notes don't detail any discussion of manner of death...

Alston says that's a practice, so that he won't have any notes that will conflict with what appears in final autopsy report

While Alston couldn't discuss what Dr Allan said, Williams yesterday ruled Det Taylor could, due to state discovery violation...

Next witness: Det Taylor.

Chief Deputy Schatzow asks Taylor if it's true that "you were removed from the case when I accused you of sabotaging the prosecution"

Taylor: "You made the request, but you don't have authority to remove me."
"You were not removed?" Schatzow asks.
"No" Taylor responds

Schatzow then accuses Taylor of withholding information and working with defense.. She says info was given to Bledsoe, who pushed it away..

Now Schatzow alleges @BaltimorePolice command staff wanted Gray's death ruled an accident.

"Allan stated on several occasions that (the death) was an accident," Taylor says

Allan = medical examiner

Taylor testified that Allan had said during a meeting in the days after Gray's death that it was a "freakish accident, and that no human hands can cause this."

Allan eventually ruled Gray's death a homicide, and testified that she never considered it an accident.

Schatzow accuses Taylor of writing up her notes after her falling out w Bledsoe, the other prosecutor

"My problems with Ms Bledsoe were about her integrity," Taylor says.

"Now you're making allegations about her integrity?" Schatzow says

Taylor said she was never removed, just agreed to stop having communications with the State's Attorney's Office.

An extended discussion of why she hadn't turned over to the prosecution her notes that referenced Allan's comments about Gray's death being an accident.

She said Bledsoe had opportunities to see her notes, but repeatedly had "tantrums" during their meeting

this is like a bad movie

Adding: 3 years ago Prosecutor Bledsoe represented Freddie Gray as a public defender.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
More on Det Taylor's testimony:

Schatzow asked Taylor who else from the police department was with her when Medical Examiner Allan allegedly said Gray's death was a "freakish accident."

She identified a long list of top commanders, including current Commissioner Kevin Davis.

Schatzow asked her if all of the commanders in the room had suggested to Allan that Gray's death was an accident. Taylor said they had not, and that Allan had offered the assessment on her own.

if a long list of Baltimore police commanders knew that the medical examiner was lying for over a year, and they stood quietly by, that is one more tragedy and betrayal in this case

There was then an extended discussion regarding Taylor's testimony that she had taken notes at the meeting with Allan, and the state's contention that she had given those notes directly to the defense without providing them to the state.

Taylor said she offered her notes multiple times to Bledsoe, but that Bledsoe either ignored them or pushed them away when offered.

The fiery exchange between Schatzow and Taylor was repeatedly broken up by conferences between prosecutors and defense attorneys at Williams' bench.

After Taylor, the defense called Officer Mark Butler, who like Goodson is a longtime van driver for the department . He said he was never trained on seat-belting passengers .

during discussion of why Judge Williams did not dismiss the charges,

Williams questioned Schatzow before making his ruling, at one point saying the state had no evidence of anyone observing a "physical manifestation of anything wrong" with Gray prior to him being discovered not breathing in the back of a transport van.

He also asked the state to acknowledge that it had not presented evidence of a rough ride.

"The No. 1 piece of evidence," Schatzow responded to that question, "is that the man suffered an injury that killed him."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160616-story.html

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
If I were an officer there, I'd be looking at transfers sooner than later to a department that will back you up.

If you were an officer there, you would have been looking at transfers loooong before Freddie Gray. While there is certainly a large contingent of the City PD that is passionate and professional about their work, it's also the LEA that pretty much takes all comers - including, sometimes I'm convinced, those who couldn't land unarmed security jobs at Wally World.

I do feel very sorry for the former group, however.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
If you were an officer there, you would have been looking at transfers loooong before Freddie Gray. While there is certainly a large contingent of the City PD that is passionate and professional about their work, it's also the LEA that pretty much takes all comers - including, sometimes I'm convinced, those who couldn't land unarmed security jobs at Wally World.

After my hiring experience with a LEA, I'm convinced that hiring processes for them are a joke.

They can hire someone totally fucked up yet pass over qualified candidates to want to do the job. It's like black magic.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I do feel very sorry for the former group, however.

-Rob

All comers of a certain racial background.

I have family and friends that work in the BPD. some in patrol and some in special units. A lot of them stay because the overtime is unlimited and some of them bring in 6 figures with it. Plus it can be difficult to lateral to Baltimore County, and going fed has it's ups and downs as well.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
More on Det Taylor's testimony:

Schatzow asked Taylor who else from the police department was with her when Medical Examiner Allan allegedly said Gray's death was a "freakish accident."

She identified a long list of top commanders, including current Commissioner Kevin Davis.

Schatzow asked her if all of the commanders in the room had suggested to Allan that Gray's death was an accident. Taylor said they had not, and that Allan had offered the assessment on her own.

if a long list of Baltimore police commanders knew that the medical examiner was lying for over a year, and they stood quietly by, that is one more tragedy and betrayal in this case

There was then an extended discussion regarding Taylor's testimony that she had taken notes at the meeting with Allan, and the state's contention that she had given those notes directly to the defense without providing them to the state.

Taylor said she offered her notes multiple times to Bledsoe, but that Bledsoe either ignored them or pushed them away when offered.

The fiery exchange between Schatzow and Taylor was repeatedly broken up by conferences between prosecutors and defense attorneys at Williams' bench.

After Taylor, the defense called Officer Mark Butler, who like Goodson is a longtime van driver for the department . He said he was never trained on seat-belting passengers .

during discussion of why Judge Williams did not dismiss the charges,

Williams questioned Schatzow before making his ruling, at one point saying the state had no evidence of anyone observing a "physical manifestation of anything wrong" with Gray prior to him being discovered not breathing in the back of a transport van.

He also asked the state to acknowledge that it had not presented evidence of a rough ride.

"The No. 1 piece of evidence," Schatzow responded to that question, "is that the man suffered an injury that killed him."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160616-story.html

Holy freaking shit.

I hope they bury those goddam prosecutors so far under the jail when they finish with all of this that they shit worms for the rest of their worthless lives.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
[Icarus] With tar and feathers [/Icarus]

quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Fired

From a circus cannon

Into the Potomac.

Smile

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:

What the..? I'm not a lawyer (my parents where married Razz), but that makes no sense whatsoever to me. Yeah, Gray died. But the only part of this whole cluster that matters is how he died, and it appears the prosecution has failed miserably in proving anything on this issue.

Might as well cut Goodson loose now. Prosecution 0, Defense 3.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post