SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^After reading the article and VSSA's comments, it dawned on me that perhaps this bill was deliberately undersold on impacts (like as I had mentioned in my e-mail to my Senator; it could outlaw almost all semi-auto handguns given the language). Four alert D Senators apparently thought so too. HB961 was a Trojan Horse in a sense if I may use my 8th grade Greek Mythology class knowledge. Perhaps next year if they try to bring it forward, the pretense at least will not be hidden.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
we can call them an let them know their choices dictate which campaign we back with our wallets and I figure the little dictator will have been smacked down a bit by then.

I really hope this thread stays alive as a constant reminder to Virginians that we MUST take solid action at the polls, and we must CONSTANTLY let legislators know where we stand.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...weapons-ban-n2561468

Joe Biden Voices His Anger as Virginia Senate Committee Rejects 'Assault Weapons' Ban

When the bill was defeated, a majority of those in the committee room, including county sheriffs, broke out in celebration.

"Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are designed for one purpose—to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There is no reason to have these weapons of war in our communities," Biden said in a press release.

"I commend the Virginia legislature for the steps they have taken to enact sensible gun safety measures, but I'm disappointed that the measure to limit the sale of assault weapons and to ban high-capacity magazines will not have the opportunity for a vote in the Virginia Senate," Biden continued. "People are dying everyday. We cannot continue to delay action."

Virginia House Delegate Mark Levine, who had been pushing for HB961, thanked Biden for the statement and promised they "will be back."

Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates Eileen Filler-Corn said, "The Democratic platform last fall was very clear. Limiting access to weapons of war used in mass murder was a key part of that platform. The House of Delegates delivered on our promise to take action to keep those weapons off our streets."

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Joe Biden Voices His Anger as Virginia Senate Committee Rejects 'Assault Weapons' Ban

Hey, Joe, take your "two blast" shotgun and take a hike. Leave the rest of us alone.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
"Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are designed for one purpose—to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There is no reason to have these weapons of war in our communities," Biden said in a press release.

The Founders of this great nation would beg to differ with you, Joey.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Are you wondering what look was on Mark Levine's face as the Virginia Senate Judiciary Committee voted to not move forward on HB961, the "assault weapons" ban and magazine confiscation bill, for the year.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosa.../1229418227656282113

pic:

can you pick out the DEMs ?
Sweet! But somebody should have kicked Levine in the twins on his way out of that room.

Who is the woman on his left and who are blue tie guy and yellow tie guy?

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Now, here's a real irony:

Breitbart is reporting a study that states there is "no evidence" assault weapons bans have any effect on reducing mass shootings.

We should keep this link, and send it to legislators like that idiot Mark Levine in Virginia, who sponsored HB961.

The irony? The study was published by the Johns Hopkins BLOOMBERG School of Public Health!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
The irony? The study was published by the Johns Hopkins BLOOMBERG School of Public Health!

Awesome. Cool

I'll be storing that article as PDF for use later, that's for sure.

God bless America.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
we can call them an let them know their choices dictate which campaign we back with our wallets and I figure the little dictator will have been smacked down a bit by then.

I really hope this thread stays alive as a constant reminder to Virginians that we MUST take solid action at the polls, and we must CONSTANTLY let legislators know where we stand.

First, I promise you, I'm going to make sure it doesn't die.

Also I just picked up two of these. $5 per mag goes to VCDL.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Don't get too excited, the study did find two delightfully repressive laws were effective. I can only get the press release, not the actual study.

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/new...-mass-shootings.html

quote:
Firearm purchaser licensing laws that require an in-person application or fingerprinting are associated with an estimated 56 percent fewer fatal mass shootings in states that have them, according to a new study by researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

and
quote:
The researchers also found evidence that laws banning large-capacity magazines, defined as those that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition, were associated with significant reductions in the rate of fatal mass shootings with four or more fatalities and the number killed in those shootings. The size and precision of the estimated effects of LCM bans varied across many statistical analyses presented in study.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each got one on Lobby Day. Is there someone who is selling them?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool, Skins.
I've done a little laser work on ABS -- it turns out really nicely!

- - - - - - - -

quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:

https://laseredgetactical.com/

God bless America.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That's pretty cool, Skins.
I've done a little laser work on ABS -- it turns out really nicely!

- - - - - - - -

quote:
Originally posted by kr350psd:

https://laseredgetactical.com/

I know nothing about the company I bought it from, should have probably cut out name in post. Not an endorsement for company, impulse buy from FB post.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I come back in peace and in a better place.

I offer the following insight given to me by an old work acquaintance from when I was assigned to the policy team of two House members (I was a military Congressional fellow for 18 months - '09-10). This gentleman was one of the only staffers who could bring his dog throughout O'Neal bldg...(he carried some weight, for what it's worth).

Immediately following Columbine (like nanoseconds), a shift was made in the Pharma industry around D.C.. A big shift. Deals were made, these deals have become an art-form. The accusation here is that Pharma became petrified such school shooting(s) would be 'tied' to their mood-altering drugs (many $billions...). The only plausible scape-goat in this scenario is the gun. Blame the gun non-stop, ad-nauseam, etc., etc. and the notion that these medicines are destroying the empathy part of the brain fades away just like magic. For the Pharma industry - problem solved.

I realize this subjects me to all manners of "...that's just silly!" labels and black helicopters and such, so be kind with your attacks towards my mental stability (I am an old retired guy thanking God for each day).

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
I come back in peace and in a better place.

I offer the following insight given to me by an old work acquaintance from when I was assigned to the policy team of two House members (I was a military Congressional fellow for 18 months - '09-10). This gentleman was one of the only staffers who could bring his dog throughout O'Neal bldg...(he carried some weight, for what it's worth).

Immediately following Columbine (like nanoseconds), a shift was made in the Pharma industry around D.C.. A big shift. Deals were made, these deals have become an art-form. The accusation here is that Pharma became petrified such school shooting(s) would be 'tied' to their mood-altering drugs (many $billions...). The only plausible scape-goat in this scenario is the gun. Blame the gun non-stop, ad-nauseam, etc., etc. and the notion that these medicines are destroying the empathy part of the brain fades away just like magic. For the Pharma industry - problem solved.

I realize this subjects me to all manners of "...that's just silly!" labels and black helicopters and such, so be kind with your attacks towards my mental stability (I am an old retired guy thanking God for each day).

I uderstand exactly what you are saying.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Huh?

The bottom line is there exists a good reason the Democrats are so staunchly trying to blame guns. It would seem like they have a gun derangement syndrome, but they don't. What they have is a ton of money being donated to their campaigns/coffers by big-Pharma - and those donations aren't to support their drug R&D efforts, etc., like you would reasonably assume. Instead, those donations are so the Dems would blame 'scary' guns/hi-cap mags (or guns in general) for school/mass shootings. This in turn takes our eyes off of the notion that a common thread for many mass shooters (particularly the younger set) is that they have been patients given SSRIs and other behavior-based meds. Again, I don't usually promote conspiracy theories (this is my firs ever); however, you can't deny how effective this type of approach has been - blame the NRA, not big-Pharma. It's pretty clever.

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are designed for one purpose—to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There is no reason to have these weapons of war in our communities," Biden said

weapons of war hmmmmmm

Some Virginia stats

VA population 8,001,024

est of gun owners: 29.3% that would be 2,344,300

VA concealed handgun permits: 429,837 active

in Virginia during 2018, there were 284 firearm related murders and nonnegligent manslaughters

Over 2,000,000 gun owners but only 284 firearms murders

and w stats like that, DEMs want to turn hundreds of thousands of Virginians (maybe over a million) into felons

from a 2017 nationwide study,

41 % of REPs own a gun,
only 16 % of DEMs owned a gun

https://www.statista.com/stati...y-party-affiliation/

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Crime_in_Virginia.shtm

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
"Assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are designed for one purpose—to kill as many people as possible as quickly as possible. There is no reason to have these weapons of war in our communities," Biden said

weapons of war hmmmmmm

Some Virginia stats

VA population 8,001,024

est of gun owners: 29.3% that would be 2,344,300

VA concealed handgun permits: 429,837 active

in Virginia during 2018, there were 284 firearm related murders and nonnegligent manslaughters

Over 2,000,000 gun owners but only 284 firearms murders

and w stats like that, DEMs want to turn hundreds of thousands of Virginians (maybe over a million) into felons

from a 2017 nationwide study,

41 % of REPs own a gun,
only 16 % of DEMs owned a gun

https://www.statista.com/stati...y-party-affiliation/

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Crime_in_Virginia.shtm

Of the 284 gun related murders, I bet 75% were guns illegally owned.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Laura Ingraham on good Virginians' win:

(Link)

God bless America.