SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shortwave/Multiband radios- your opinion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortwave/Multiband radios- your opinion Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We have an old ICF-2010 by Sony, still highly regarded.
Also have a smaller Tecsun, reviewed here:

Tecsun PL-660
The Tecsun PL-660 is currently one of the most popular portable shortwave radios on the market--and for good reason. The PL-660 has a full compliment of features and is quite easy to operate. The sync detector (selectable USB/LSB) is currently one of the best in the sub $150 US price range. Sensitivity and selectivity are both excellent. With the introduction of the Tecsun PL-880 on the market--a radio that may eventually replace the PL-660 as Tecsun's flagship portable--the PL-660 has also become more affordable and can be found at or near the $100 US price point with shipping. Here are a few of its specs:

AM/FM-stereo, Long Wave, Aircraft Band and Shortwave (1711-29999 KHz)
Single-sideband reception
Synchronous detection (USB/LSB selectable)
2000 programmable memory presets
Full-featured clock, sleep timer
ATS Auto Tune Storage
AC Adapter, wire indoor antenna line and case all included
We recommend purchasing the Tecsun PL-660 from Universal Radio.

Check Amazon.com for Tecsun PL-660 pricing.SWLing link

I went to Amazon after suggesting it and read some of the recent reviews and they have been pretty mixed the past few months. I don't know if they put out a bad batch or people are idiots, but most of the verified purchases liked it.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That time came for us in 2004 when 4 hurricanes hit Florida, power was out for a week and cellular was down for most carriers but out Nextel two way worked, phones and cable out as well.

Pretty much confirms radio based comm is a good idea since it was the only comm up.

Besides a two way you should have at your disposal

Small generator for limited household use
Multiple 5 gallon gas cans
Pre cut 3/4 plywood for Windows
Tapcon screws to mount plywood
Local tv antenna
A few fans for air circulation
Small 110 window shaker ac for bedroom at night
Wire in transfer switch for generator
Extension cords if no transfer switch
Cash, ATMs don't work with power out
Guns n boolits
Canned food
Cases of bottled water
Large tarp in case of roof damage
Duct tape
Couple of full propane tanks
Grill

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Para I seem to recall that you're in the Atlanta area? If so, you might peruse the website of HamRadioOutlet
Just search for "receivers".

They have a radio store in Atlanta. They do carry a good selection of radio receivers. I greatly prefer being able to see, touch and operate things in person before I buy them.

You can't send him to a place like HRO without any warning.

There was a Denny's a few blocks from HRO where they would hold my cash and credit cards while I went to peruse things at HRO San Diego, and give them back on my way out.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my wife thinks I'm
in the bathroom!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Para I seem to recall that you're in the Atlanta area? If so, you might peruse the website of HamRadioOutlet
Just search for "receivers".

They have a radio store in Atlanta. They do carry a good selection of radio receivers. I greatly prefer being able to see, touch and operate things in person before I buy them.

You can't send him to a place like HRO without any warning.

There was a Denny's a few blocks from HRO where they would hold my cash and credit cards while I went to peruse things at HRO San Diego, and give them back on my way out.

Truth. Similar place in Anaheim. I always want to give them a ton of money when I go in there.

Posts: 7604 | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: "CountyComm GP-5 "

My buddy long a HAM & very familiar with various gear, recommend that one last fall to me, a veritable not-up-to-novice-rating.

He located a 'sale' for around $75 which seemed impressive. I spent a week trying to make contact to purchase that specific model, but each time I clicked to order, the specs would mysteriously change to a slightly different model, with considerably different specs. It happened time & again, so I just gave up on that purchase.

Good Luck, I'll be waiting to see a new owner report.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It starts with wanting a radio for emergencies, for the go kit, in case the SHTF. You have to know how to operate it, you know, in case the SHTF. So you start listening.

Pretty soon you began to realize if you had a better antenna, you could hear more stations. When you mention it to a coffee buddy, you learn about the upgrades and accesories.

Well, now you are spending more time learning how this operates, in case the SHTF, you know. You can hear some pretty interesting stuff going on. There is a local group, in three or four towns around here that have a net every week you know, in case the SHTF. It pays to be prepared, and organized!

To join those guys on the air, you need a license, so you start going to the class every week sponsored by the local club. The guys in the club have a lot more going on than just the net. One guy says he talked to another station in Mozambique just the other week, and talks to Europe all the time. Another guy was bragging about his antenna, says he talked to Hawaii bouncing a signal off the moon! And you should see the set up that another guy has in his car! Whew eeeee! He's all set, in case the SHTF.

Pretty soon you take the test and pass. You have a license! You need gear, good gear, in case the SHTF. This is where HRO comes in, once you have caught the disease and there is no cure, no treatment except more gear, higher and better antennas.

That's right. It isn't a hobby..... it's a disease!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Para - suggest you get the entry level amateur license - you can get it in a weekend and it opens up a world of equipment choices

listening is one thing but communicating is something else

become a ham, relatively easy and then you can start to think not just local but more area or even global in communications

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be a ham operator, thanks. I just want to be able to obtain information and maybe listen to music.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like the Sony is your best bet. Several Ham site reviews were very complementary.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I have a GP-5 DSP and liked it so much I got another GP-5 SSB. Here's a review. Another review of the SSB by RadioJayAllen. They are made by Tecsun for County Comm and are also sold as the Tecsun PL-365 (GP-5 SSB) and PL-360 (GP-5 DSP).

The other Tecsun portables mentioned, like the PL-660, are very good SW portables. One thing they have going for them is the sound - since they have passive radiator speakers, the sound is something to hear they're so good. I almost got one just for that, but instead got an FM and AM / FM Tecsun ICR-100 and ICR-110, both with passive radiator speakers.

I have an original ICF-SW7600 (got it new - no ac adaptor cord) - email me your address and it's yours. Good shape, no battery corrosion on 4 X AA contact points.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the general opinion of
Grundig sattelite 750?

I am un able to find out if it recieves NOAA and weather channels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...5EabevbsL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Sounds to me like the Sony is your best bet. Several Ham site reviews were very complementary.
Yes, I'll likely purchase the Sony, but the CountyComm unit f2 pointed me to in the post above is intriguing. These radios are made in the United States? Probably not. I want to avoid Chinese-made products whenever practical.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I cannot make any comparitive analysis, since I've only owned one, the Sony ICF-SW7600G, for about 20 years now. Currently it sits in my garage where I listen to it when working out there. I have been more than happy with it. I played some with the external antenna feature, using just a wire, and brought in some more frequencies. It has a fairly good tuner built in with just the stock antenna. Usually I don't even extend it, just elevate it to vertical You cannot beat digital tuning. Interesting that it is still made in Japan. That's a plus. I give it a +, but with nothing else to compare it to in that area.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Review from Swling from someone who owns the Sony and the CC:

quote:
Been having a ton of fun with my new toy, the tiny survivalist radio, the CountyComm GP5/SSB receiver. $74.95 with free heavy duty cordura case with metal belt clip (normally $17.95). Also purchased 2 spare whip antennas @ $6.00 ea. The unit arrived promptly in just 5 days from CA.

The radio is manufactured by Tecsun and is similar to the Tecsun PL-365, but re-engineer end to military standards for use in embassies and military installations around the world. The case is a heavy plastic that feels like anodized aluminum.

It’s about the size of a small TV remote control, taller than a cell phone, and about 1/2 the width of an iPhone.

Very, east intuitive menus. Incredibly sensitive to dx, relatively good selectivity. A great radio to throw in your travel bag or briefcase. So small that no one, especially customs, TSA, etc would even suspect it is a shortwave receiver with SSB capabilities.
I live in a very highly QRM and RFI interference zone.

I’m in the central city, in an old 1920’s hi-rise, with high power tension lines right next to the building.

Lots of QRM from the elevator motors, etc. Having a good antenna option is a challenge.
I’ve resorted to a stealth longwire antenna, strung out my 5th floor window. It’s 50′ of #16 black insulated copper stranded wire, weighted by a medium size galvanized carriage nut. It seems to work well.

I also use a Magic Wand shortwave antenna, a type of broomstick antenna with 23′ of lead-in, available from Lowbander on eBay.

My main receivers have been a Sony ICF-SW7600GR dual conversion receiver and the SRDPlay. In the past, I have listened to dx with some really outstanding receivers, including a Nordmende Globetrotter, a National NC-183D, a Japan Radio JRC-525′ and a Yaesu FT900AT transceiver. The later two were computer-controlled using TRX-Manager software.

In just 4 days, I can’t get over the sensitivity of the CountyComm GP-5/SSB and it’s ability to pull in stations. So far, it’s far superior to the Sony or SDRPlay.

Digging into the specs, it is a direct conversion receiver, using a DSP si47XX microchip from Silicon Labs to digitize the analog AM/FM broadcasting signal base on modern software technology and radio principles. The direct conversion circuitry can highly improve a radio’s sensitivity, selectivity, S/N ratio and anti-interference capabilities. Direct conversion using software is far superior to a double or triple conversion traditional IF circuitry. This must explain why the unit is so amazingly sensitive!

I can hear things on this unit that I can’t even begin to hear on the Sony or the SDRPlay. The FM reception and sound with earphones is amazing and LW and AM reception is equally sensitive. I can easily get WLW Cincinnati 700 kHz in the daytime here in St. Louis!

There are 550 preset memories: 100 for AM, 100 for FM, 100 for SSB, and 250 for SW. You can scan the memories or scan the bands in various ways. You can also use the Auto Tune Storage function to store memories.

Something I really enjoy is the Easy Tuning Mode function. The ETM function allows you to tune into stations easily and temporarily store them into the ETM storage. 100 stations for FM/MW and 250 for SW. Scanned stations will not be stored in the regular 550 memories, but will remain in the ETM temporary storage until the next time you do an ETM scan.

This is a great feature for travel. When you are in a different city, you can perform the ETS function and this will not delete any of the stations already in the memory.

http://swling.com/blog/2016/02...e-countycomm-gp5ssb/

This is another comparison between a few models including the Sony and the 660:

quote:
To be perfectly honest, I think each one of these radios has an individual character that makes it a stand out for a particular type of listening. While I often sort through my collection to give away radios that I seldom use, you won’t find me letting go of any of these rigs. The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is still my favorite portable for field recordings; its stable nature and robust front end mean that I can hook up long wire antennas if I wish. The PL-880 is the radio I reach for if want robust sound and armchair listening to shortwave and mediumwave–I also find it the best of the bunch to tune, a quality machine harkening back to the glory days of Panasonic and Sony. The PL-660 is my simple, bullet-proof performer–when in doubt of conditions, it’s the radio I reach for. If I owned the Sangean ATS-909X, it would probably become my bedside shortwave; its audio fidelity, large display, stable back stand, and ability to benefit from an external antenna make it very appealing for this purpose.

I’m forcing myself answer this question. While it’s difficult to answer, I believe if I could only have one of these radios for travel…I would chose the Tecsun PL-660. I find it the best overall performer, and a true bargain at its price point.
http://swling.com/blog/2014/07...9x-and-icf-sw7600gr/

posted Hide Post
CountyComm.com and a PayPal account is a dangerous mix. Just sayin.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can hear things on this unit that I can’t even begin to hear on the Sony or the SDRPlay. The FM reception and sound with earphones is amazing and LW and AM reception is equally sensitive. I can easily get WLW Cincinnati 700 kHz in the daytime here in St. Louis!

I would be very skeptical of this subjective review. I prefer a professional type review like ARRL labs or Sherwood Engineering can do where they get down to the nitty gritty of a whole lot of measurements. I have found the Sony to be an excellent little receiver. In any case the antenna typically by far is going to make the biggest difference in receive quality. Also all the talk about "modern technology LOL. I have found that my 50 year old Collins and Drake equipment can still do an excellent job in the receive department under all but the very most demanding conditions which typically involve very strong signals either or both sides of a desired weak signal.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Sony radios

Cool factor and feature winner is the sw100 -250 on eBay - get s late model

The country comm http://www.universal-radio.com...g/portable/0905.html
Is a great radio

The 7600gr of mine failed because (I am told) I used rechargeable batts. Electrolytic caps are a weakness on most Sony radios.

Sonys are poor reliabity choices in my humble opinion.

I would go country comm

One last note sdrplay is a great option.

John

Posts: 344 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer a professional type review like ARRL labs or Sherwood Engineering can do where they get down to the nitty gritty of a whole lot of measurements.

I haven't seen a Sony ICF-SW7600GR, 660, or CC review on the ARRL Labs site. If you have links I'd love to read them. I prefer lab tests as well, but I'm not aware of any.

If you haven't spent time on Swling it's a pretty good site. If their owner Tom doesn't write the review he usually posts comments immediately after it to either agree or disagree. Then you have a comment section for other members, so outside of a lab it's a pretty good source for information.

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Great thread, I'm paying close attention. I have a Grundig YB-400, which not has not been mentioned, so I assume that's a bad sign. With these digital radios, one thing I've noticed is scanning to find something can be a real pain. JALLEN hit the nail on the head. Simpler is better for novices like me.

I also have a Sony Air-8 which in addition to AM, FM, has the Public Service Band. I was going to put it on Ebay, but thought PSB and the VHF Weather Radio Frequencies it gets might be useful. I assume these frequencies would be covered in the radios mentioned?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
So what do you guys like for handheld units? Perhaps splitting an AM/FM/weather/emergency to a separate monitor is the way to go.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post