SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Le Creuset dutch ovens. Worth the money?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Le Creuset dutch ovens. Worth the money? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
Is there a reason why these things cost over $400 for a 7.xx quart enamel cast iron dutch oven?

What would this offer over a $100 offering?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Enamel is probably easier to clean and allows for different ingredients in the pot than standard cast iron. Tomatoes, stews and such?

But the plain lodge has met my needs. If I could afford the enamel, I’d probably get it. But so far not left wanting with the lodge.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ms. Tejas says the enamel tends to chip on less expensive models. She recommends you look at a Lodge.

Posts: 987 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
There are factory blems and seconds available from Le Creuset outlets. Both of the Le Creuset Dutch ovens I have are blems, and they were a lot less than the usual astounding prices. They function perfectly. Everything I cook in them comes out very tasty. Look for the blems if you decide to get one. No problems with chipping enamel.

The less expensive enameled Dutch ovens are usually made in China.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan-o
posted Hide Post
We love our le Creuset. Going on 3 years with zero issues. I've got chili in it right now.

Unfortunately, lodges enamel products are made in China. I'll pay a premium to get non-Chinese goods.

Posts: 572 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Yes they are expensive, but they really cook well. My wife has picked up a few at the outlet store that usually has some blems. About 30% off for a minor outside imperfection that you have to look long and hard to notice. She also picked up a Cuisinart brand and says it cooks nearly as good (not quite as heavy) and it's 1/4 the price of Le Creuset.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Funny. We were just looking up why Straub was so expensive compared to ordinary cast iron.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Link for Le Creuset outlets.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We opted for the Tramontina 5.5qt enamel coated cast iron dutch oven back in 2012 when it was consistently reviewed as both the best "budget" option and damned near as good as Le Creuset. After over 8 years we have absolutely ZERO complaints.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
We have the Amazon Basics enameled one. I have no complaints. I keeping up in here to figure out if the spend on Le Creuset is justified.

Posts: 4012 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have family members with LeCruset Dutch oven pot that have a lot of cooking miles on it but has held up well. Our son was looking at LeCruset for his girlfriend for Christmas. He found both LeCruset and Staub good Black Friday deals and went with a Staub.
I think that the quality of the LeCruset or Staub is justified, but paying full list price isn’t. Also we have bought from the LeCruset outlet north of Dallas, the sales staff was good about showing where what was the defect that got an item in to the outlet store, most were very small casting defects on edges. Also some outlet store items may be there because the color wasn’t a big seller as opposed to blems.
I uses a Lodge primarily for bread baking, if/when we do more than bread baking, we’ go with Staub, LeCruset, or other higher level brand.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hell
YES

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I’ve been curious about Staub as well.

I recently picked up a Le Creuset 8qt stock pot for soup about a month ago for $80, and recently looked at their Dutch ovens and almost pooped my britches.

The Staub offerings look very similar but a bit less $$

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We have had our 9 quart Le Creucet for well over 10 years and picked up a 6 quart a couple of years ago. They have both been fantastic and the finish has held up to heavy use.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Black Friday sale https://www.williams-sonoma.co...=cblack-friday-deals
Amazon and other places $99.
Staub has been well reviewed. I had been looking at this one myself.

My sister gave us a Braiser from Le Creuset a couple years ago.
It has been awesome. It cleans up easily. Heats evenly and slowly so it’s pretty forgiving.
https://www.lecreuset.com/braiser/LS2532.html

We use cast-iron and some carbon steel pans. I really like how cast iron cooks.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:

A 4 qt Dutch Oven is quite small and could prove disappointing as a result.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:

A 4 qt Dutch Oven is quite small and could prove disappointing as a result.

Mostly it’s me and my sweetie. I thought the size might work. (Portion control Smile) I have been watching it and yet to purchase.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We have mostly All Clad stuff, but a few Le Creuset items, and yes, they are worth having. But we only bought them at outlets on extra-special sales.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yes. They are worth the money, but don't pay retail.

I have a lot of Enamel Cast Iron cookware, dutch ovens, a bean pot, etc. Most are from Le Crueset and Staub, but I do have a big dutch oven made by Fontignac in France.

Staub is a member of the Zwilling Henckels group, as well as Demeyere and Fontignac and a couple others.

You can get amazing buys on Le Crueset and Staub, etc, at Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc. I highly recommend this. Just be sure to inspect the item carefully before purchase, even if it's in a box. Many will be open stock, no box. I've also bought a lot of Allclad this way too.

I highly recommend the Le Crueset Factory Outlet Stores. They do sell "seconds" which are cosmetic only, there will be no structural flaws there.

The really cool thing is that Williams Sonoma a couple of times a year will bring in a "new" color or size/shape/style Le Crueset. The time is ticking on these, after 6 months or so these are pulled out of Williams Sonoma and go to the Le Crueset Factory Outlet Stores. That's where there are good bargains and factory help.

I believe the Le Crueset enamal coating is more durable than the chineseium imports. You'll see famous old line American company names on these cast iron dutch ovens but they're made in china. They just don't hold up.

Let me tell you this, and take this to heart and remember this. Everybody has a BAD HABIT of stirring the pot and then BANGING the spoon on the top edge rim of the pot. DON'T DO THIS!!! It will crack the enamel. Use a spoon rest or something to put the stirring things in, don't bang the edge!!! Personally I just take an old cooking pot and put it by the stove and put utensils directly into it. DON'T BANG THE TOP RIM OF THE DUTCH OVEN!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch Home Goods, Marshall's and TJMaxx. I picked up a Le Creuset very reasonably there. Might be a second but I could find no defects. They also carry Staub at times. Unfortunately it is luck of the draw when they are in stock.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post