SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Le Creuset dutch ovens. Worth the money?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Le Creuset dutch ovens. Worth the money? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I can get things sorted out before Christmas as these will be gifts.

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Let me tell you this, and take this to heart and remember this. Everybody has a BAD HABIT of stirring the pot and then BANGING the spoon on the top edge rim of the pot. DON'T DO THIS!!! It will crack the enamel. Use a spoon rest or something to put the stirring things in, don't bang the edge!!! Personally I just take an old cooking pot and put it by the stove and put utensils directly into it. DON'T BANG THE TOP RIM OF THE DUTCH OVEN!

I'm Guilty of doing this. Frown

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
We opted for the Tramontina 5.5qt enamel coated cast iron dutch oven back in 2012 when it was consistently reviewed as both the best "budget" option and damned near as good as Le Creuset. After over 8 years we have absolutely ZERO complaints.

.....And Tramontina is MADE IN CHINA. Costco sells them.

Le Creuset makes things in China too but not their cast iron.

We have Le Creuset pieces and Emile Henry. The Emile Henry ceramic pieces are amazing and the Le Creuset cast iron pans are used daily with much satisfaction....and they are both Made In France.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Is there a reason why these things cost over $400 for a 7.xx quart enamel cast iron dutch oven?

What would this offer over a $100 offering?

I've had a Staub 24 for quite a while, like a nice Spyderco/Benchmade, the Staub is a joy to use and behold.
If I was looking to buy today to fill a need vs want... an instant pot is way more versatile for less money.
Then buy the Staub later just cause.
Or
Tagine

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

.....And Tramontina is MADE IN CHINA. Costco sells them.

Mine, back then, along with a Professional Gourmet 11" skillet of theirs I have were made in Brazil.

And yeah the Dutch Ovens are Chinese now. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
We registered for and got some Le Creuset stuff for our wedding 36 years ago. To fill in our set, I bought set at Sam's Club for an amazing deal using wedding money. The set included several dutch ovens, several skillets and a saucepan for $100. All are still going strong but I don't use the skillets, I prefer non stick.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
My big-assed Le Creuset lives on top of my stove and gets used for almost everything. It was a gift from the GF. If it somehow vanished, I'd immediately buy another one just like it.

Here's America's Test Kitchen's review of enameled cast iron Dutch ovens:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/LuY8EjdeQLo

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Boroughfurnace.com

Two people make all the pieces and they are located outside of Buffalo.

True artisans and they have an enameled Dutch oven for $240.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Let me tell you this, and take this to heart and remember this. Everybody has a BAD HABIT of stirring the pot and then BANGING the spoon on the top edge rim of the pot. DON'T DO THIS!!! It will crack the enamel. Use a spoon rest or something to put the stirring things in, don't bang the edge!!! Personally I just take an old cooking pot and put it by the stove and put utensils directly into it. DON'T BANG THE TOP RIM OF THE DUTCH OVEN!

From your keyboard to my wife’s ears.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Our Creuset Dutch oven has been with us 40 years of use and still looks great. For my daughters college graduation in May I gave her a set.

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Here is my experience.

We bought a $40 dutch oven at Sam's. A Tramontina. Within a year some of the enamel had flaked off.

On a black Friday sale we bought a Martha Stewart brand dutch oven for around $70 (this was significaantly discounted). The Martha brand is still immaculate and has no imperfections at all. The Tramontina has a few bubbles and bulges.

The Le Creuset will last a lifetime if treated well. I think my cheaper but still nice Martha Stewart branded dutch oven will last a lifetime as well. You may not have to go all the way up the Le Creuset but if you can afford it, you will not be disappointed.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a bunch of it years back. (started in 2007 with one piece but it was so good that the next sale I loaded up). It's a classic "Buy once, Cry once" thing. Anytime either of us use it we are so happy. You reduce the amount of times we burn long simmering soups etc, it cleans up easy.

Posts: 1922 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Le Creuset are one of those 'buy once, cry once' type items.

Cookware like guns are simply tools to me. When I choose tools, I ask myself:

-How well does it work overall and compared to its competition?
-How often will I use it?
-Do the perceived quality and projected frequency of use justify its price?

I bought an O2 sensor socket from Harbor Freight for ~$6. I've used it twice in 15 yrs, and it worked perfectly. The comparable socket from Snap-On costs $45. If I were a professional mechanic who changed out O2 sensors on a near-daily basis, then I might spend the extra dough for Snap-On.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth the money. I have several Le Creuset products and all are well worth it. I even use their non stick line and it is awesome. I also have use staub and it is great stuff too. Cry once or cry ever time you use it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I bought a Lodge enameled dutch oven a few years ago, I bought it in lieu of a more expensive designer unit. It sees a lot of use. It's chipping.
I'll be replaced with a more expensive designer unit.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Saw this on the SIGforum Black Friday sale thread - Williams Sonoma is having a big sale right now. Lots of Le Creuset and Staub dutch ovens included. Just read the descriptions carefully, some of the pieces are enameled cast iron and some are stoneware. Avoid the stoneware. Some nice discounts can be found.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
[quote] We have a Le Creuset dutch oven and frying pan for about 20 years, My mom has some that are 30 years old,the term tanks come in mind. They are lifetime utensils if taken care off..

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Boroughfurnace.com

Two people make all the pieces and they are located outside of Buffalo.

True artisans and they have an enameled Dutch oven for $240.

I watched a number of their youtube videos. I would consider getting one of these if I was in the market.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A enameled dutch over is worth its weight in gold. As the temps continues to drop, I'll be using mine pretty regularly for braises, stews, chilis, bolognese sauce, deep frying, etc. Make sure you get a functional size, at least 6qts minimum, anything smaller and it becomes more of a specialty item. Making sauces and such, you can always freeze a portion of what you make for those weeks/days where you don't want to cook but, want a good meal.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a few. They have a lifetime warranty. If the enamel chips on the cooking surface they will replace it. The replacement was a factory second. The one we bought was a first quality item at the outlet in Gunwharf in Portsmouth UK. The new one in first quality runs about $300. we paid about £90 for it.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful with heat. They are not meant for heavy searing.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post