SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Latest: Now the clean up after 130,000 evacuated over California dam concerns
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Latest: Now the clean up after 130,000 evacuated over California dam concerns Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Fuck em

Peoples' lives are in danger and not necessarily through any fault of their own.

Let's reign in the cynicism please.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I used to own land in that area. This is an entirely different Calfornia. Most people are conservative, own guns, into hunting, fishing, outdoor stuff. My friend who lived there had a CCW, very easy to get in that county. I seriously considered moving there.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Potential catastrophic deal for lots of good folks, most of whom do not likely have flood insurance.

In my prayers.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh man, that's no bueno.

Those people must be terrified.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I know at least a little of the feeling of being flooded out. The Willamette River in Eugene has a big bend in it. Right at the outside apex of the bend the water came within inches of breaking over the bank. The authorities said a whole new river channel could have been cut. Right through our property. This was the huge flood at Christmas time 1964. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_flood_of_1964

More recently the Willamette River did breach into rock mine pits right next to it. My present residence is now in the area opposite the breach and the flood filled mine pits. Luckily the pit banks are higher on my side. But we did sweat that one too.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
not to bring politics into this, -- and this has no ideology bent to it -- But any new president best not fuck this up. BEFORE preferably rather than after, a failure. Mind you I have no idea what the fed.gov could possibly do, but best to do literally anything they can, than be judged as not doing something.

I hope to God it doesn't fail. Why in the hell can't an emergency spillway just work? Piss poor design.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be a bit harsh myself. This seems to be another case of California's own doing. The coastline of California is overpopulated. There is not enough water for the number of people living on the coastline. So they resort to measures like this damn.

Forgive me. My memory isn't that great. But I could swear that within the last two years California was facing a massive drought. Can anyone explain to me what happened weather wise in the intervening period?

Also, did California water authorities do anything to strengthen or reinforce this damn while the water was down?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for the people living in that area that everyone comes out safe and the damn Damn holds.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I used to visit a family in extreme NE CA. One could of been in WY as far as the activities and politics of those living there. Of course they are overwhelmed by those on the liberal coastal cities.

I'd think CA will be sniffing around for Federal help with the dam & evacuation costs. That's the part where the Feds may drag their feet some. After all, they seem to have the $$$ for the endless State agencies they create.

Regardless, it's got to be a real pain to have an hour to load up your vehicle and evacuate, not knowing the outcome.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Any of them who might wait 'till the last hour to evac are nuts if they think Federal money has more power than Mother Nature. To help and fix any States "real problems", leadership not politics is needed, as a constant. When the irresponsible freaks at the top of States gov piss away billions for their own political gains, decade after decade and, the people dont step up and say no, we get what we get. President Trump aint no magician and even after he helps he will be attacked.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe some of the Billions spent on illegal aliens could have gone to damn maintenance?

Prayers for the people in the path but nothing but contempt for the system that created the problem.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prayers for the people in the path but nothing but contempt for the system that created the problem.

Like the two wolves and the one sheep voting on what to have for dinner, I suspect the people that are direcrly affected by this didn't have much say in the process that put them in peril.

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Fuck em

As one who lives 50 miles south of the dam, I appreciate your compassion. While I wouldn't be affected directly, it would certainly devastate the region and economy for a while. Regardless of how one voted in November, I assume you're not wishing for people to die or for their lives to be destroyed.

They increased flow out of the damaged spill way to take pressure off of the emergency spillway. They'll asses how best to shore up the emergency spillway before allowing residents to return. While I'm not the biggest fan of CA.gov, I'd imagine the folks at DWR have their best and brightest working the problem with the hope of avoiding the dam's failure.

Perhaps when this is over the govt will realize the need to increase water storage in the state.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Exx just said what others did, in the beginning of this topic, with fewer words. He was probably eating his breakfast. 2 Moderators have reminded him. I highly doubt he wants harm or loss to come to anyone affected by this. Good enough?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll remember this next time when the Mississippi spills its banks or tornados touch down in the Midwest. As long as I'm wordy, I can be less compassionate.

I'm hoping for the best here. I trust engineers over bureaucrats.

Pushing back from the gate. Gots to go.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I lived in SE Idaho in the mid 1970s when the Teton Damn failed on a Saturday morning. I worked for days helping sandbag low lying areas on the Snake river in anticipation of the flood waters reaching Idaho Falls.

3 days later I saw the incredible damage done be this terrible event when a couple of us went to Rexburg and Sugar City.

Luckily only a few lives were lost and the government owned up to a flawed project and financially reimbursed those impacted.

Damns are great for lots of reasons like fishing, boating and periodic flood control........but when that 50 or 100 year event occurs, the story line can change overnight.

At least these folks have warning and can expvacuate the downstream area. Hopefully the main structure will not fail. My prayers are with them all.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Forgive me. My memory isn't that great. But I could swear that within the last two years California was facing a massive drought. Can anyone explain to me what happened weather wise in the intervening period?

One of the first warnings about rising global temperatures was that weather patterns would change: Some places would become warmer, some cooler, some places would get more precipitation, some less. Overall, precipitation would increase because higher temperatures means more water in the air, and what goes up must come down. In addition those changes wouldn’t be consistent and would often be unpredictable. Where I live we had a very mild fall and early winter; almost overnight, however, things changed with one snowstorm after another that had old time residents asking, “When will it stop?” Anyone who has paid the slightest attention over the past several decades could cite countless other examples.

I’m not one of those who claim to think that a butterfly’s flapping its wings in the rainforest can cause a hurricane in Florida, but things like overall temperature changes can have significant effects.

Or it could just be natural variations; droughts came and went long before people could have had any effect on the climate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Exx just said what others did, in the beginning of this topic, with fewer words. He was probably eating his breakfast. 2 Moderators have reminded him. I highly doubt he wants harm or loss to come to anyone affected by this. Good enough?

Wow. That's one hell of a twisted interpretation. Nothing negative or mean spirited was said in the thread until Exx chimed in with terse, foul, hate filled thought for the day. I guess he was running low on Christian charity at the time. There is no doubt that he wants harm and loss to come those in the path of the flood waters. I'd go so far as to say that he dreams of death and destruction to those innocent people.
Doubts that he meant anything bad by that statement, that's a laugh.

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Enough. Not another word about it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107592 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've been a part of an evac, but from fire instead of water. I feel for all those who have to leave behind everything and hope they'll be able to return someday soon. lets hope some emergency attempts to fix the problem work. Sounds like they wanted to helicopter rocks into some area? looking at the areal videos, I don't really understand their plan, but I am definitely in awe of the power of water when I see that 100,000 cf of water they're releasing.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post