SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kendo? - New update Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kendo? - New update Pg 4 Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
Any Kendo practitioners here?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rightwire,

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
yes ... right here.

2nd dan Kendo
2nd dan Kumdo (the Korean version)
Level 3 Jingum ( Korean iaido)

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
No, but I dabble with kenjutsu and iaido. I'm wearing an iaito as I type.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Studied for a short while until I had an accident at work and broke some bones in my right foot. Sensei Meida is an amazing, talented, and humble teacher. I miss it. It's quite a work out. Had my bell rung several times.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How about you, Rightwire? Do you practice/compete/teach? Are you yūdansha?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sort of related: Do any of the forum members in my area belong to the Orlando Kendo Club?

If so, please contact me through the email address in my profile; I have a few questions for you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've always been interested, just found a club that isn't too far away. How about advice for a beginner? I'm closer to middle age and have some back issues so arts that involve throwing, a lot of falling, (judo) are probably not for me anymore. Since I've always been drawn to Japanese arts and the katana this seems fitting.

I'm familiar with martial arts, I studied Tang Soo Do in a very traditional school through Jr High and HS.

Thoughts?

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I've been practicing/learning Kendo/Kumdo for some 30 years, around the world.

What follows is length, so settle in.

I've encountered many a 70+ year old still training; it's one of the few sports (argument, defend!) that one can continue well into the 90's.

For someone middle aged, this would have some slight challenges, but nothing like Tang Too Do.

I've also learned Hapkido, Taekwondo, Karate and Aikido for many years. These I no longer can actively participate in. The strain on the body is too great to risk a disability. I'm 58 and still enjoy and participate Kendo and plan to do so for many years to come. The tiger is now a dragon.

Kendo uses a wooden sword; either the shinai (bamboo sword) for sparring or the bokken (usually oak) for the forms.

Kendo practitioners can be found all over the country and the world. The social atmosphere is always great and welcoming where you are.

Kendo isn't expensive for continued training fees. The sole, most expensive cost will be the armor (bogu).

Kendo is often practiced in community centers, halls or basketball courts ...

As a beginner, you would wear some comfortable clothes, like sweats. Clean.

You will learn the school and kendo etiquette. This means kneeling and bowing in and out of class. Bad knees? No worries, masters/instructors understand this and standing while bowing is still respectful in this case.

Kendo is a great workout for breathing, posture, upper body and core strength. It is a real workout without the risk of being thrown around.

After about a month of classes, twice a week perhaps, you should consider purchasing a uniform from the club, or online vendor (more on that soon).

After your first test, you should then consider buying armor to progress and to learn the rules of sparring (keiko).

Many Kendo clubs actively engage in inter-club and state competitions. This is probably then best part that I enjoy, as you get to meet n greet other practitioners and participate in competition.

Oh there's so much ...

Costs?

Club annual fee - varies usually less than $50
USA nation membership fee - usually $25

Club quarterly training fee - varies I pay $125 a quarter

Uniform - $80-$100
Kendogi - top; hakama - bottom

Armor
You might consider an investment in a complete 5mm (at least) or better armor set, costing $500 and up. Size assessment is the #1 factor to get right.

Slightly used armor can be found for less, be sure that it fits you correctly, particularly the head gear (men). It's not uncommon to purchase additional items as they wear overtime. Like the gloves (kote) or the strings that tie things together (himo).

Visit http://www.e-bogu.com to view the availability and costs of uniforms, swords, armor and accessories. This will give you a good idea of the expected costs.

Whew!

Need more info? My email is in the profile.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
I've been practicing/learning Kendo/Kumdo for some 30 years, around the world.

What follows is length, so settle in.

I've encountered many a 70+ year old still training; it's one of the few sports (argument, defend!) that one can continue well into the 90's.

For someone middle aged, this would have some slight challenges, but nothing like Tang Too Do.

I've also learned Hapkido, Taekwondo, Karate and Aikido for many years. These I no longer can actively participate in. The strain on the body is too great to risk a disability. I'm 58 and still enjoy and participate Kendo and plan to do so for many years to come. The tiger is now a dragon.

Kendo uses a wooden sword; either the shinai (bamboo sword) for sparring or the bokken (usually oak) for the forms.

Kendo practitioners can be found all over the country and the world. The social atmosphere is always great and welcoming where you are.

Kendo isn't expensive for continued training fees. The sole, most expensive cost will be the armor (bogu).

Kendo is often practiced in community centers, halls or basketball courts ...

As a beginner, you would wear some comfortable clothes, like sweats. Clean.

You will learn the school and kendo etiquette. This means kneeling and bowing in and out of class. Bad knees? No worries, masters/instructors understand this and standing while bowing is still respectful in this case.

Kendo is a great workout for breathing, posture, upper body and core strength. It is a real workout without the risk of being thrown around.

After about a month of classes, twice a week perhaps, you should consider purchasing a uniform from the club, or online vendor (more on that soon).

After your first test, you should then consider buying armor to progress and to learn the rules of sparring (keiko).

Many Kendo clubs actively engage in inter-club and state competitions. This is probably then best part that I enjoy, as you get to meet n greet other practitioners and participate in competition.

Oh there's so much ...

Costs?

Club annual fee - varies usually less than $50
USA nation membership fee - usually $25

Club quarterly training fee - varies I pay $125 a quarter

Uniform - $80-$100
Kendogi - top; hakama - bottom

Armor
You might consider an investment in a complete 5mm (at least) or better armor set, costing $500 and up. Size assessment is the #1 factor to get right.

Slightly used armor can be found for less, be sure that it fits you correctly, particularly the head gear (men). It's not uncommon to purchase additional items as they wear overtime. Like the gloves (kote) or the strings that tie things together (himo).

Visit http://www.e-bogu.com to view the availability and costs of uniforms, swords, armor and accessories. This will give you a good idea of the expected costs.

Whew!

Need more info? My email is in the profile.

Email sent....

343 - Never Forget

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I studied at the Ken Zen Institute in Manhattan, in the 80's. I was just a kid but I really liked it.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
First practice tomorrow...

cjevans follow up email sent

343 - Never Forget

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rightwire. Like most sports, once you begin sparring,you may find sore muscles that you weren't using previously. Don't look down, keep your head level when you begin sparring. If you tilt your head down and take a hit to the head (men), you'll feel it. E-bogu is pretty much the go to site for most entering the sport. You might think about watching some videos and practice (once you get you're armor) tying properly. Be prepared to get hot and sweaty if you practice (like I did) in a summertime, non-air conditioned gym. If you get opportunities to travel with the team to competitions, do so. It will most likely solidify your resolve.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Certainly let us know how this goes, Rightwire.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Certainly let us know how this goes, Rightwire.

Well... holy crap that kicked my butt. They handed me a shinai and put me right into practice. The entire class is taught in Japanese, no English. I had no idea what was going on. I did my best to follow and to power through it.

Bad idea, the 'warm up' lasted 45 minutes. I was about ready to pass out. I'm apparently not 21 (or 31, or even 41) anymore. I knew I was a little out of shame but DAMN! A few people offered little nudges here and there.

Finally after meditating and bowing to the instructors they paired me up with a Sr. instructor to do 'strike men' drills. After a few hits the head instructor (8 dan) came over and had him pull me off the to the side and teach me basics. Sage-to, Tai-to, Sonkyo. How to bow, advance, draw, Sonkyo and Chudan. He seemed to like how I grasped the Shinai. We practiced the process of kneeling and standing. That became a problem when my right calf locked up, which then locked my hammy. It took me a minute to work that out. Ended up with a really cool bruise on my shin from kneeling.

We worked on footwork advancing, retreating, side to side. He was very patient although I picked it up fast. His biggest challenge seemed to be adjusting my foot position given my height, within what the very traditional instructor would accept.

While I was working on advancing and retreating the head instructor did come over, he stopped to watch for a moment, nodded then focused his attention on someone else.

By the time I was done I was dripping sweat, sucking wind, and well I'm sure tomorrow and Saturday is going to suck. Next time knowing what is coming I'll do all the good hockey stretches and get every thing loose first.

The big challenge is learning enough Japanese to know what's going on.

Oh, one odd thing.... in the quick stretching/warm up they count, what appears to 3, but not Ichi, ni, san. It's three other words and the class repeats something back. Acoustics are so bad I had no idea what they were saying.

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did just fine. I don't know what's going on with the counting. The only thing I can think of, when Japanese count some things that have equal importance, like the "dojo kun", they will sometimes count out the word "first!" (hitotsu) before every point. So there might be six things on the list, and they're all first.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Read "A Book of 5 Rings" when you get a chance. It won't help you with the Japanese or practical Kendo but it was required reading, in my Dojo. It is a very interesting book.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Read "A Book of 5 Rings" when you get a chance. It won't help you with the Japanese or practical Kendo but it was required reading, in my Dojo. It is a very interesting book.

Bruce

I've had a copy since I was 17 years old.

343 - Never Forget

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
One of the bits you'll want to learn is to remove the shoes upon entering the dojo, face the proper direction, and bow. Also, this phrase may be one you heard. It's used to give thanks for what you're about to do/recieve or after.
https://www.rocketlanguages.co...su-and-gozaimashita/
I got turned onto Book Of Five Rings by accident while reading a sci fi series by Piers Anthony-Beginning with "On A Pale Horse". The next book was Book Of Five Rings followed by Musashi. Worth a read. I was around forty and nearing 200 pounds when I first started Kendo and it took quite a while to cool down after practice. I'd love to find a similar class to work on using other weapons like a tomahawk.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I speak a bit of Japanese. I work for a Japanese company and have been over twice. Normally I have no problem with identifying words unless the person speaks very fast or annunciates poorly. Quite often I get the just of what they are saying, ev n if I don't understand the meaning of all of the words.

The acoustics in the room are bad, and they draw out a lot of words making it more of a challenge. I asked my instructor about the counting as I didn't understand, his response was "yes they use an old way" but didn't elaborate. The instructor counting would do something like "ip, yup, o, ni," and th class would follow with something like "gya, gya, gya, gya" then they switched exercises. Definitely not: ichi ni San shi

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
cjevans... you have mail

343 - Never Forget