SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kendo? - New update Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kendo? - New update Pg 4 Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Training continues now with Do, Tare, Kote but no Men yet.

Tare is a target? I thought that's off limits.

He's listed the armor components, not what one strikes at.

I interpreted it that he was listing target areas, since he said, "training". So he was saying he's training without the helmet/facemask. My bad.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ll never forget leaning my head a little too downward while receiving a men strike. That will ring your bell. The Men is somewhat useless if you face even a little downward. I miss Kendo. I enjoy reading your updates. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The Dojo that I train in is very traditional and they want you to take it slow if you are an adult. Little kids are a bit different. The various Sensei will let you know with comments about when they think you are ready to start wearing Bogu (armor). They and Sr. students all recommend adding a piece at a time to get used to it.

I admit putting Do on the first time did change my swing and I had to adjust. I waited for a few weeks before wearing Kote. That changed my swing again and I had to adjust.

You're not allowed to wear Men (head protection) without permission first. After that 'when' is up to you. They recommend around 6mos or so into training is pretty normal. I've been told this a major game changer as your vision is reduced, your swing is effected, and it is a lot hotter.

I need to wrap up hockey before taking that step so it will be into April before the Men finally goes on if I have permission.

Right now I am focusing on being consistent and of course the word I hear a lot... R E L A X. There are a few sensei that for some reason I just do everything perfect, and others I can't do anything consistently right. Oddly enough they are the ones that are the most helpful.

My fumikomi is getting a lot better. Occasionally I still mess up the timing. One of the very Sr. Sensei, who is pretty tough on us, some how seems to make me flat out miss once in a while. Which usually results in a "MEEE...damn...EEENNNN" out of me. It makes him giggle and that just makes me laugh, which makes him laugh. Then we try it again. I sometimes wonder if he does it on purpose.

The first part of the tournament Saturday with a seminar, a Godo-Geiko (still not sure what that means) with a guest 8 Dan Sensei from Japan and finally testing. Sunday is the actual tournament. There are several prominent guests and Taiko drums to start each day.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Ahh, you are having fun and learning in the best way.

... godo-keiko ... keiko would be pronounced like geiko.

Means a joint/combined practice between kendo clubs ...

Taiko drumming ... wow, more Kendo clubs should utilize this.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Training continues now with Do, Tare, Kote but no Men yet.

"No Men"?

Any one who straps on the armor needed to practice Kendo are MEN, irrespective of sex.

Ha!

You have to visibly feel 50+ women training on a beach, with naginata; all screaming in unison "MEN" while striking at imaginary heads. Men is the theadgear worn in Kendo/Naginata. And yelled when striking the head armor.

And a naginata is a blade attached to a long wooden handle. And means "mowing down sword" or perhaps better, "reaping sword".

Apologies for the lesson, grasshopper.

An errant arrow
Flies over the target's head
My joke missed you too.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed reading this thread.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
We are fortunate to have a Taiko drum group in the area. I've seen them perform before, they are very good.

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37960 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I would take these classes in a heartbeat, but they are not offered in my town.

Posts: 7526 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A few photos from the Detroit Kendo Seminar, and Godo-Keiko that preceded testing today. Tournament tomorrow.

343 - Never Forget

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m interested, and find that Kendo is available here. For about a year I have been training in Taiji Chuan and it’s been good for me. I am almost attaining competence in 37 Posture Wu Style.

In the past, the only Japanese MA I ever trained in was Judo. I was really too old at the time. Trained for 6 or 8 months—and never stopped hurting.

Most training in Kajukenbo and only stopped by a promotion that moved me away from it. Fair amount of an amalgamation of Kung Fu styles early on.

I imagine I’ll stop by the dojo and at least watch. I have a great Taiji instructor who first learned in Beijing, but...

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’m interested, and find that Kendo is available here. For about a year I have been training in Taiji Chuan and it’s been good for me. I am almost attaining competence in 37 Posture Wu Style.

In the past, the only Japanese MA I ever trained in was Judo. I was really too old at the time. Trained for 6 or 8 months—and never stopped hurting.

Most training in Kajukenbo and only stopped by a promotion that moved me away from it. Fair amount of an amalgamation of Kung Fu styles early on.

I imagine I’ll stop by the dojo and at least watch. I have a great Taiji instructor who first learned in Beijing, but...

Don't be surprised if they offer you a shinai and ask you to join the class. Don't be afraid to try but big piece of advice. Relax, relax, relax. Don't be tense, don't try to power through things. TRUST ME, you'll pay dearly if you do.

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
20th Annual Detroit Kendo Tournament

Players line up by Dojo for Opening Ceremonies

Sportsmanship pledge on behalf of all attending

Kata demonstration with Iaito

Taiko Drums to close opening ceremony and develop spirit

Two of the little guys...

343 - Never Forget

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I realize it has been a while since I've posted an update. The end of the High School & Collegiate hockey season plus work travel sucked up a lot of my time Feb/March/April.

Now that I'm back into more consistent practice things continue to progress. I'm still not wearing Men yet, although a few people that started before me were given permission a month ago and recent feedback from them was "wait, don't rush this part, I should have waited".

Now granted, I'm sitting on the front porch of 50, and started this back in August of last year. But I can tell you that even bust your butt to get back in shape for months and are doing well, Kendo has a way of letting you know periodically that it disagrees with your fitness evaluation. Every once in a while I still have a practice where I feel like a soup sandwich.

Tonight was one of those, everything felt wrong, I actually had to stop twice because my heart rate got way higher than it should, things I've done very well the last several practices vacated my brain/body, and I feel like I got run over by a truck. Last week was awesome and I nailed just about every practice evolution.

I did finally get a summer weight Kendogi, wow what a difference. Definitely something that I should have done a long time ago. This wicks sweat off, lets it evaporate and actually is cooling in a way. The cotton just gets heavier and heavier.

I sense I'll be wearing men soon... update then

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I was just wondering how you were doing. Thanks for the update.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I was trolling YouTube and ran across this video from the big tournament here back in February. The guy in red B. Kim is from a different Michigan Dojo. He was at our practice tonight and we went a few rounds... which is probably why I feel like I was run over by a truck. He pushes you pretty hard.

In case you wondered, I'm the tall guy in the black/white jacket standing by the red bleachers behind the judges table and occasionally visible in the video. That was the court I was working and it hosted the individual & team finals

343 - Never Forget

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That guy is good!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It finally happened, I was given permission by a Sr. Sensei (5 Dan) to wear Men.

I mentioned in the last post how horrid that practice was. I had asked this Sensei about wearing Men and how the process works. He told me he would watch and tell me after practice. Then of course I had the worst practice ever. Go figure.

Last night he was there early and we talked a little. He said it was fine to start wearing Men. I told him that I was surprised given how horrible I felt the practice was for me. He just gave one of those knowing smiles and nodded with a "it ok, you ok, wear Men today, ok for you". I didn't have it with me, but that was ok, a big step forward.

I spent some time over the last weekend working on my swing, the head Sensi (8 Dan Hanshi) had pulled me aside and given me a few tips. It was amazing how a few words in broken English from him drove a message home. Being able to work alone, slowly and methodically brought it all together.

Advice request from other Kenshi
An interesting dichotomy has developed in Kendo for me as I've progressed. Certain Sensei's have focused on my Ki-ai. They seem to what this to be a primal yell that drives the spirit and energy. Other Sensei are always telling me "relax, relax, too tense, relax". There is definitely a piece that I'm missing here. In one way I sort of understand, but in others it makes no sense. Any thoughts to share?

kkina
From the video, yes that is Bill Kim. He is very good, one of those natural athletes, very energetic. He trains at a Dojo that is walking distance from my parents house back home. I trained there last year over the holidays, He had me do successive pass through men strikes 15 times in a row, after I'd done it 7x, and 10x with the previous two instructors. I almost passed out Eek I was only 5 months into this so it was pretty intense. The guy who went through after me (2 Dan) went outside and puked. At least I didn't do that. If I recall, he won his division in individuals, and his Dojo won the top team division.

Since it came up in earlier threads, this is a Kendo MEN, the head protection that we wear as this is a full contact sport

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rightwire,

343 - Never Forget

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I would love to give this a try but I can’t find anyplace with in an hour of me.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
watching that video - it was all too fast for me to tell who hit what. How is that event scored ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
watching that video - it was all too fast for me to tell who hit what. How is that event scored ?

There are four valid targets in Kendo
1. Men - Top of the head, the space between the Himo (long ties) that keep the Men in place on your head
2. Kote - The wrists, typically it is the right wrist. The Kote (gloves) have extensions that protect this area but you definitely feel it
3. Do - Side of the chest defined by the big protective chest piece called, the Do
4. The Tsuki or the throat protector that hangs down from the Men

In order to score an Ippon (point) you have to satisfy several criteria
1. The cut must be proper - Proper technique, proper part of the shinai (bamboo sword), proper force, and call out of target. It also has to be intentional and not incidental

2. Your posture and timing of the Fumikomi (lunging step/stamp) must be correct (ie not bent over, twisted, or off timed)

3. Your spirit must be proper at the time of the cut. A weak or tentative spirit doesn't count

Finally you have to hit first. The two players could both get good solid Men cuts landed with good proper and proper spirit, but the first player to strike wins. There are three judges, typically 4 Dan or higher. At least two have to agree, and the head judge has to at least defer to them if he didn't see it. If one shows White, the other Red, and the head judge didn't see it, no ippon awarded.

Yes, it is very fast, and it takes time to understand. I was at the big tournament profiled back in February in this thread and the entire crowd would "Oooooh" "WOW" or applaud and I was thinking "what?!?

343 - Never Forget