SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So the big Cannon Safe at Costco.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the big Cannon Safe at Costco. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
I think it is an "Elite" model with electronic lock for $499. 32 gun I believe. 60 min 1200 degree rating. 490lbs.
Could not determine country of origin. One guy thought USA the other said Mexico.

Anyone know.

Good or bad? I want USA made.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've seen it. Large tin can. What threat level do you want protection against? It would likely stop a smash and grab crackhead. Anyone with any level of skill could probably get in it in 15 minutes.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Imagine a large metal lock box with some fireproofing. That's essentially what you are getting. I almost bought it myself before doing the research.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are about one million discussions on safe selection up on the net. If you read three days worth, you may end up being more confused when you finish. Residential "safes" seem to range from high school locker strength to $8000 dollar models. My late sainted brother's safe had a 1" thick steel front door. It weighed 1550 pounds and cost about $5500. I can't spend $5500 on a safe. Personally, I think $1000 to $1200 dollars and 800 pounds are about the minimum starting point and these can probably be breached in 15 minutes or less with knowledge and tools. It will probably keep out the junior high dopers. If you subtract the weight of the fire proofing from the safe you are looking at, there's not a lot of steel left. Electronic locks can be a real horror by the way. You should be able to go to the Cannon website and get the info on the "Elite". When I googled Cannon Elite it went to another brand. I would accurately I.D. what you are looking at. Best of luck to you in your decision!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have always avoided electronic locks. I have read and heard too many horror stories.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
For me electronic locks work fine, I just replace the battery each year. As for them failing I think it's much ado about nothing, buy a dial if you prefer it, or get an e-lock, your choice. IF it fails call the manufacturer and get another lock shipped to you.

Mine isn't a $5K monster, about a grand, no it's not rated for surviving the towering inferno or holding off a hoard of dedicated safe thieves using tungsten safe cutters at 4000 btu or a jaws of life searching for those D1 Flawless diamond hoards.

I think the odds that they are even considering hitting any particular house are in our favor. Not saying you shouldn't lock stuff up, and make it hard for a criminal to get to guns, you should. Oh and make it impossible for the grand kid to get in, preserve them and make my wife happy that guns are not laying around the house.

It's about what level you can afford and what are your goals. Buddy got that safe, its similar to my Winchester from Tractor Supply, well made, plenty of space, door organizer, for the money it's good value.

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the Cannon safes from Costco. I'm not sure if it's the same model as what you are looking at.

I've had mine for 4 years now with no issues. Sure is big enough to hold what I need and have no problems with the electronic lock. It's a lot quicker and easier than spinning any dial to access my arms.

For me it was a no brainer. Price, return policy, and delivered to my front door. Win

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Electronic locks work fine. Just replace batteries and BOOM, it works. If not Fort Knox will send a locksmith to me to fix it. I'm in and out of mine a dozen times a day and a mechanical lock would be a real pain in the ass.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
For me electronic locks work fine, I just replace the battery each year. As for them failing I think it's much ado about nothing, buy a dial if you prefer it, or get an e-lock, your choice. IF it fails call the manufacturer and get another lock shipped to you.

Two points:

1. I googled "electronic lock failures on safes."

I got 23,800,00 hits in 0.63 seconds.

Much ado about nothing, eh?

2. If you can replace a failed e-lock without opening the door just how secure is that?

What's to keep a thief from just bringing his e-lock, replacing the original and then just unlock the safe?

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
quote:

Two points:

2. If you can replace a failed e-lock without opening the door just how secure is that?

What's to keep a thief from just bringing his e-lock, replacing the original and then just unlock the safe?

I didn't read anything that said the e-lock could be replaced without opening the door? It's a job for a locksmith.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If it's anything like the one I saw at Sam's Club the listed weight is to be taken with a grain of salt. I was able to very easily rock the one at Sam's with one hand. There's no way the one I looked at was near the advertised weight.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
If it's anything like the one I saw at Sam's Club the listed weight is to be taken with a grain of salt. I was able to very easily rock the one at Sam's with one hand. There's no way the one I looked at was near the advertised weight.

Maybe that was the weight after you put all your guns and ammo in it!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I've always liked this video. Skip to about 2:30

https://youtu.be/nBhOjWHbD6M

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend next door purchased two Winchester safes with electronic locks and neither would open at all when brand new. He ended up having a locksmith come out and the locksmith had to replace both locks. These were $1200 safes and it happened about three years ago. The store he purchased them from made good on the charges.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am happy with my Amsec. It cost about 1500 and had an electronic lock which failed after a mere 23 years. I replaced it with a dual function lock, electronic and spin dial too. Different combinations. They will work independently.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Two points:

LOL try googling lock failures on safes, I get 83,300.000 responses, so using the failed logic that all responses to a search on google are actually relevant

That would suggest that there are 60 million more problems with non electronic locks, of course subtracting the 23 million responses you listed apply to electronic with your search from the total lock problems of 83 million.

Big Grin

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:

Good luck doing that when it's lag bolted to the floor in a closet with no access to the sides. It is eye opening what you can do if free standing though.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:

Overly dramatic. If it's bolted to the floor without access to the sides that's no doable.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Electronic locks work fine. Just replace batteries and BOOM, it works. If not Fort Knox will send a locksmith to me to fix it. I'm in and out of mine a dozen times a day and a mechanical lock would be a real pain in the ass.

Just to take a contrary point of view: Smile

A "Real Life" example

I'm certain there are instances of mechanical locks failing; those cases just don't seem to popup very often.

YMMV.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Two points:

LOL try googling lock failures on safes, I get 83,300.000 responses, so using the failed logic that all responses to a search on google are actually relevant

That would suggest that there are 60 million more problems with non electronic locks, of course subtracting the 23 million responses you listed apply to electronic with your search from the total lock problems of 83 million.

Big Grin

Yet, when I google "Mechanical lock failures on safes -electronic -biometric -battery" I get 2,720,000.

That's a lot less tan 23M or 83M.

FWIW.

Big Grin

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post