SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What side would you bring to a pig roast?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What side would you bring to a pig roast? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Poi. No, just kidding. Moloka’i sweet potatoes are good, though.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I'd make a vinegar/acid based slaw of sorts because I don't like mayo.

I was going to suggest something vinegary. You need it to cut down the grease from the pig so you can eat more.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, if rburg is right, maybe some good kim chi?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jello shots

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hawaiian rolls or regular buns for barbecue sliders. Make some of Bobby Flay's barbecue sauce, caution can be a little spicy depending on your taste.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Assuming the host is not one to be threatened by people contributing to his pork, mix up a few BBQ sauces. Eastern Carolina, Western Carolina, Kansas City, Memphis...

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Sooma is right.

Bottle of bourbon.

If they don’t drink, take your favorite....not just something to give away.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I know you said fruit was out but I had the desert below several years ago and I nearly ate the whole thing myself. How about some jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon?

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Pig roast? No idea.

But if if are talking a Cochon de lait, then I would bring a nice okra gumbo or perhaps maque choux. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Corky’s Cole slaw

https://www.food.com/recipe/co...-style-coleslaw-5418

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
Bacon...in for a penny, in for a pound!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peach cobbler.......cole slaw.......corn.......diced cucumbers and tomatoes in a pickled or vinegar based slaw.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Is ham a bad choice? Big Grin

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The north. I think I have had them, but they didn't make much of an impression. It struck me as a way of sneeking in something green and healthy in with the BBQ.

quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Does anyone actually like Collard Greens?

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Collard greens

flashguy

Where are you from? They are big in the South.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bring my wife’s side. They are Irish and much more enjoyable at a party than my side.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sweet potato salad is a favorite I make for bbq.

Boil cubed sweet potatoes until very tender. Add chopped scallions, crispy bacon chopped into bits, mayo, maple syrup. Mix well. It’s different and a crowd pleaser.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make a chocolate banana homemade ice cream that I usually bring out to our yearly pig roast.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
I'm saying coleslaw but with a twist. We make a slaw with brussels sprouts, bacon bits and chopped smoked almonds. It has a different texture and the follow through from the sprout versus cabbage is a nice departure.

If it is at my home, we also do a very decadent sweet potato dish. Candied yams in syrup tossed straight from the can into graham cracker crumbs and deep fried served with a cinnamon sour cream dipping sauce.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I would bring both sides of the pig,...

I was gona say; "inside", cuz if you only bring the "outside", that's good with beer, Duke's and some hot sauce!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post