SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ran across this backpack today...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ran across this backpack today... Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
I'm not sure what to think of it. At a glance it appears a bit hokey. I'm always suspicious of companies trying to reinvent the wheel, but every now and then it works. I'm also wondering about the extra moving parts and how they would hold up. I guess it bears a watching, though, on someone else's dime.

https://www.hot-newtech.com/hoverglide/

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the spring loaded and gas loaded bicycle seat posts when they hit the market , ages ago.

Really disliked both of them.

I can't see this offering any less stress on the hips knee's or ankles.

but Ive been wrong before

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Physics and gravity won't be denied.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Is this tech available in jocks?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Springs, gas cylinder dampers anything that operates like this is advertised all work with a certain, for lack of a better word, dwell. Even the recoil spring of a semi-auto pistol. If the damper system isn’t engineered for the specific activity, it’s not necessarily go8ng to work. The running example on the web page looks great, but someone with a much shorter gait probably can’t dupicate that. Hopping off a 2 foot tall something won’t be any better. In my opinion, it’s a gimmick.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
IF it works as intended, I see it as something that would require you to develop a perfect gait at whatever speed you're moving at.

I also see it as possibly being an encumbrance when moving over uneven terrain and taking steps that vary in stride length.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
quote:

Big Grin

But pray not for bra's...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wait this out and see if it is the revolution they claim it is.
Based on experience, if your pack is uncomfortable, it is due to poor fit, overloading and improper loading.
For a pack to truly be comfortable for me, I have to have one made to fit me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. I pack all my stuff on my miniature horse service animal.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
IF it works as intended, I see it as something that would require you to develop a perfect gait at whatever speed you're moving at.

I also see it as possibly being an encumbrance when moving over uneven terrain and taking steps that vary in stride length.

Yep. Get the phase timing off and that "stacking" will do the same multiplier to works against you.

Should it be a slow process, you might feel as if you are driving on a washboard road.

If it happens in a fast onset from dodging an obs-tackle or stepping into a low spot, you might find yourself being pile driven on your rolled ankle.

So, leave me out of this Karma.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Dual frame technology (or whatever they call it) this in a world of titanium sporks and toothbrushes with shortened handles. Too much weight.

When I see it on Japanese tourists I'll be absolutely sure it's nonsense.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Physics and gravity won't be denied.

True.

Lightweight, powerful, and useful Exoskeletons aren't far off, though. The last demo I saw was about a year or so ago, and it was impressive then... weighed 16lbs total, IIRC, and was super slimline. I was surprised by the progress they'd made.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What does it weigh?

I've come to look for certain features in my packs especial my hiking pack. Weight is one of them. While I don't need the lightest pack I don't want one that weighs an extra pound or even more for some gimmicky tec.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A floating inertial dampener system. Brilliant. Why didn't I think of this? I'm into dampening.

As far as different gaits and loadings, this system will almost certainly be microprocessor controlled. Automatically adjusts to different people and activities, and probably have pre-programmed settings.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Oh, great. I don't wanna be Borged...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rugged and Durable Design
Our SLT design and functionality have been field-tested and are currently undergoing operational testing by the US Army and the US Marine Corps.

Military Tested and Proven
Our pack was tested in tough conditions by both the US Marines and the US Army.

They are going to come back from the testing in 3 conditions:
Lost
Broken
Pregnant

Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Rugged and Durable Design
Our SLT design and functionality have been field-tested and are currently undergoing operational testing by the US Army and the US Marine Corps.

Military Tested and Proven
Our pack was tested in tough conditions by both the US Marines and the US Army.

They are going to come back from the testing in 3 conditions:
Lost
Broken
Pregnant

Big Grin

Thanks for the laugh!

I'm pretty sure it will add about 10-15 lbs to your pack, which would be unacceptable.

Regarding gait and dampening, I'm pretty sure it's just an adjustable counterweight on a slide.

I'm sure it has it's benefits, but not sure what the weight limitation would be.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I think it's pulleys and bungees. I looked up the parent company, Lightning Backpacks. Their original design had a generator that can be used to recharge electronics.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
As one of the shortest former Marines ever, wearing backpacks that were designed for average height men, was challenging. When I was in, the ALICE pack would bottom against my ass instead of around my hips, which caused lots of rubbing pain back in the day from it swinging and rubbing side to side, even with a slow gait. This pack looks interesting, but my issue with large heavy backpacks was always side to side inertia more than up and down. The big muscle groups can control up and down inertia far better than the smaller muscle groups (side to side) when trying to move fast with a load. Plus when the pack weight percentage vs body weight gets too high, it was a lot of wasted energy and exhaustion on them long humps..

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post