SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA’s Wayne LaPierre Says He Is Being Extorted, Pressured to Resign Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One of the lowest paid executives for major non-profit organizations is $450,000 for Brian Peddle of the Salvation Army. Link

It seems that LaPierre's compensation is four or five times that of the President of the U.S. (yes, I realize that President Trump is not taking it).

I have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that he (La Pierre) receives compensation that is so much higher than that of the leader of our nation.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I don’t mind high compensation - provided there is corresponding effectiveness.

I can’t say I’m seeing the return on investment in LaPierre

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I don't think Wayne is a grifter at all.
It is the appearance of that he is looking out more for himself than the group.

One issue I have with LaPierre is that he is essentially a career politician, just happens to represent "our" side. To my knowledge, he has never had a private sector career job, having been a bureaucrat and lobbyist in his early years before the NRA. His background and career path is no different than many other career politicians. And like many career politicians, he has grown long in the tooth, perhaps diverted his eye off the eight ball, and needs to be replaced with new blood.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I still support the NRA. Without it where do you think we would be? Why do you think San Francisco declared the NRA a terrorist organization? Why do you think that Democrat politicians are chanting that the NRA must go? Why is the NRA not allowed to do business in New York? Do you think things would improve without the NRA? I don't!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s great, Ogie. Wayne La Pierre is not the NRA. We are.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hear, hear, and here's to the coming generations - they're the NRA too! People like La Pierre are supposed to come and go.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have no qualms about executive compensation if it is relation to the performance of the organization. Did membership go up 57%? Did state legislatures or municipalities roll back gun control measures by 57% What performance measures were used by the Board of Directors to warrant 57%. I wholeheartedly agree we need the NRA but we need someone else at the helm and a new BOD who can adapt and stick to the goals of the organization.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
I still support the NRA. Without it where do you think we would be? Why do you think San Francisco declared the NRA a terrorist organization? Why do you think that Democrat politicians are chanting that the NRA must go? Why is the NRA not allowed to do business in New York? Do you think things would improve without the NRA? I don't!
The continued presence of LaPierre does not help the NRA and it does not help American gun owners. If Wayne laPierre really cares about defending the Second Amendment rights of Americans, he should resign. He should have resigned months ago. LaPierre- whether or not he deserves it or caused it- is damaged goods. He needs to go, but the truth- and it is obvious- is that Wayne LaPierre cares about himself far more than he cares about the NRA and the Constitution. The very best thing he can do for the NRA and for us is to take the millions of dollars he's made in this "nonprofit organization" and withdraw from public life. He should be no longer associated in any way with the NRA or any gun rights organization. This is what he should do, what he should have done months ago, but he's in this for himself and he will stay as long as he can.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Until Wayne goes, I won't be donating to the NRA. My state orgs, and others I belong to like GOA, yes. The NRA needs to unfuck itself, and like many companies and organizations, probably only understands a poke in the pocketbook.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
One of the lowest paid executives for major non-profit organizations is $450,000 for Brian Peddle of the Salvation Army. Link

It seems that LaPierre's compensation is four or five times that of the President of the U.S. (yes, I realize that President Trump is not taking it).

I have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that he (La Pierre) receives compensation that is so much higher than that of the leader of our nation.

Not that it justifies Wayne’s salary, but the President job is different. In theory (yes I know that with the exception of PDJT we are miles from this ideal and have been for years), politicians including the president are supposed to come, serve their country, then go home to their farms or businesses and carry on their own lives. The presidency also comes with lifetime SS protection and probably lots of other perks I don’t know about. And I’m fine with that, but comparing the President’s salary to that of a non-profit (or for-profit) CEO isn’t really a valid comparison.

Having been involved in both for-profit and non-profit boards for several years, I can say with confidence that there is a real tension on salaries and not just at the CEO level. You *have* to get people who believe in and are passionate about the mission because in a non-profit you can’t afford to pay them as much as they’d get doing the same job in the for-profit world. That said, money is a big part of how we keep score in this country and there has been significant upward pressure on non-profit CEO salaries. If you have to find someone to competently do the job who is passionate enough about the mission to do it for half what they’d get running the same size for-profit business, it isn’t easy, but it can be done. One fifth gets tougher. One one hundredth, or one percent, gets tougher still. They may love the organization and the mission, but their kids still need shoes, their wife (or husband) still wants nice things. It is always a tension between paying your non-profit CEO what they are worth and paying as little as possible to focus spending more on the mission.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
The anti's must be loving every minute of this chaos among the membership and are going to exploit every bit of they can. The more members they can get to leave or not rejoin the better they will like it. This too shall pass and we still need to continue the fight.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
The anti's must be loving every minute of this chaos among the membership and are going to exploit every bit of they can. The more members they can get to leave or not rejoin the better they will like it. This too shall pass and we still need to continue the fight.

How are "they" getting anyone to leave? The left has nothing to do with this. Find me anyone who is or was an NRA member who would be influenced by the left.

It is entirely about how the NRA needs to straighten up and get rid of wayne, among others. The left may be "enjoying" turmoil at the NRA, but they have no effect on it. If anything, they continue being it's largest booster with every plee for "gun control."

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I live near the NRA hq. my oldest son goes to high school practically in the shadow of the building. I know several people who work there. I almost went to work there several years ago. They are all great people

But the NRA is rotten at the top. It’s more than LaPierre. It’s the core of people in charge that facilitate and, even worse, support and defend the corrupt behavior.

I’ve only spoken in passing to the people I know there about the crap that’s going on. None of them condone that behavior but they’re not going to say anything that jeopardizes their job, and I wouldn’t expect them to.

If none of that existed, though, I’m done giving money to the NRA, maybe forever because of how they abandoned Virginia this election cycle. We are their own back yard and they did dick and now we’re on tap to have the most draconian gun laws in the country. We have arguably one of the best grass roots gun organizations in the country here in the VCDL. They’ll get any money I might have given to the NRA from this point forward.

Fuck them. They’re too busy circling the wagons around their corrupt leadership to actually to defend the 2A in the state where it was invented. Fuck them

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have arguably one of the best grass roots gun organizations in the country here in the VCDL. They’ll get any money I might have given to the NRA from this point forward.

I left the NRA and joined GOA. I'm looking at some local-- state level-- groups as well. Those of us who are committed to the Second Amendment will not just quit the NRA and let it go at that, we'll find better alternatives.

LaPierre has been a millstone around the neck of the NRA, first, and for decades, because he is a horrible representative of gun owners. I agree that Colion Noir would be far better. That will never happen because of the corruption at NRA, but Noir is a good example of what is possible: intelligence, humour, charisma. Get someone to laugh, or smile, and they are half way to agreeing with you. Scowl, shake your finger, snarl, and your hard core supporters might cheer, but everyone else watching thinks, "Who is that dick?"

Support corruption and corruption grows. When NRA gets hit hard in the bankbook, Wayne will get his walking papers, and not before then.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

How are "they" getting anyone to leave? The left has nothing to do with this. Find me anyone who is or was an NRA member who would be influenced by the left.

It is entirely about how the NRA needs to straighten up and get rid of wayne, among others. The left may be "enjoying" turmoil at the NRA, but they have no effect on it. If anything, they continue being it's largest booster with every plee for "gun control."

"They" may not be causing people to leave NRA, but you can rest assured "they" will spin any decline in membership to their own rhetorical advantage. They will exploit it, broadcast it, take credit for it, and shout it from the highest peaks they can find in order to further their own grandstanding and self-importance.

That certainly doesn't preclude NRA's distinct need to get its doodoo in a pile and clean up its public image....

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My membership runs through '21. I'll see what happens when it's time for renewal. And vthoky, I agree with you 100%, which was my point in the first place. All of this turmoil couldn't have come at a worst time but eventually the organization will right itself.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider:

A lot of private shooting clubs/organizations require its members to be current NRA members.

This is an issue for me as the clubs I want to join have this requirement and I don't want WLP pimping me for more shiny, expensive suits.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of private shooting clubs/organizations require its members to be current NRA members.
That is a requirement at the club I belong to. The explanation, as I understand it, is that our club / range gets its insurance through the NRA, so all club members need to be NRA members, as well.

I am an NRA Life Member; I'm not going to resign, that would be kind of dumb, but I am not going to send them one penny more until LaPierre is gone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is the only reason I’m still involved...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
I called the NRA, the other day and told them exactly that: nothing more, we want him out and a full audit done. The nice lady who took my call responded as though she had received such a call many times before.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post