SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cracked BGE bbq questions Update page2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cracked BGE bbq questions Update page2 Login/Join 
posted
SOOOOO is it worth it to try to either warranty out the base OR buy one and buy all of the racks for it? How much does an XL base (bottom half of the grill) cost? I only see ways to warranty it IF you're the original owner AND you have the reciept, not to buy one. He said I could have it for free.

Here is my Original POST in entirety without you guys trying to take it out of context. I only see ways to warranty it if you're the original owner, NOT TO BUY ONE. Meaning I don't see the base for sale, if you're not the original owner and you need to buy a base for it. Do you guys speak the same English language as people in South Florida or what?

There are many companies that offer a lifetime warranty and will still warranty their product IF you are honest and tell them that you are not the original owner. Delta is one of those companies. SIG is another company that has been known to warranty their guns even if you are not the original owner and tell them you're not the original owner. My plan like I said earlier is call the local dealer, tell them what happened and the history on the grill, AND ask them what all the parts cost etc. etc. If the manufacturer chooses to warranty it, knowing I am not the original owner and it was given to me in that condition, that is their decision.

I am more than willing to buy the parts IF it's worth purchasing the parts it needs (and they're not the same price as buying a complete brand new one.) The base has a visible crack from top to bottom, the liner was cracked according to my neighbor he threw that out and ALL of the hardware (racks and whatever else goes inside of the grill). IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT PARTS IT NEEDS AND HOW MUCH THEY COST!!!!!!!!!!! BGE's website shows crude pictures of the entire grill, but not parts breakdown or diagram of what it has inside.

That being said the entire grill was complete and on the side of the road when my neighbor picked it up in a neighborhood where houses start a $1 million, they throw out all sorts of expensive stuff in that neighborhood all of the time. He's retired and cruises through it a couple times a week, and takes some to the scrap yard, collects some, sells some, etc. He just picked up a $1000 pro series 34 electric traeger smoker yesterday and didn't know what he had (I helped him unload it and that's how he told me about the BGE and showed it to me in his backyard with dirt and a plant in it.) The traeger is in pretty good condition, but I think just needs a heating element.

Do you guys have some sort of language barrier??????? Because out of 10 posts talking about me being unethical of trying to warranty something out when I am asking about buying the parts. And no it's not unethical, I'm going to call the dealer Monday, tell them the exact story, they're going to call the manufacturer and tell them the exact story AND if the manufacturer chooses to warranty the base out, then that's their decision. You people, are acting like I am on here asking for a copy of someone's original reciept so I can try to warranty it out on false pretences. WTF is wrong with you people?????

Not a single person in 10 posts has answered my question. WHAT PARTS GO INSIDE AND HOW MUCH DO THE PARTS COST???????????????????????????????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
IMO, if you try to warantee it, under the circumstance you cite, you're a thief.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
You could try some sort of epoxy. The liners and racks you can buy on some sites online. I also agree trying to turn it in as a warranty is in bad form.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
XL is around $1800

Most people won't throw that kind of money away.

Instead, maybe it was set outside AFTER it was replaced under warranty.

Wouldn't be right for GE to have to replace it AGAIN under warranty.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
IMO, if you try to warantee it, under the circumstance you cite, you're a thief.

Who said anything about warrantying it out??? I said I only SEE ways to warranty it out IF you are the origional owner and you have the reciept, NOT TO BUY ONE. I'm more than happy buying a base and the racks if it's worth doing. The question I asked the forum was if it was worth buying the parts, since I can find all of the parts on BGE's website but nobody lists prices on any of the parts. If the base and the racks cost more than buying an entire brand new grill, I'll let my neighbor keep it in his backyard with plants growing out of it. It said to contact your nearest dealer and ask them for parts prices etc.

The website states to contact the dealer you bought it from for warranty (not them)etc. etc. I'm going to call the local dealer tell them the entire story....if they offer to warranty it out then fine, I'm not asking them to or expecting them to.

That being said, the grill has a lifetime warranty to the original owner...... well if you're offering a lifetime warranty, why should it only be to the original owner..... life is life, who bought it and who currently owns it should be irrelevant.

Quite honestly, my plan is to call my local dealer and tell them the situation, and ask them what the parts cost etc. etc. But they're not open till Monday. SOOOOOOO since there are so many egg owners on here, I figured somebody would know the prices of parts.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You contradict yourself. Again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Who said anything about warrantying it out???

quote:
SOOOOO is it worth it to try to either warranty out the base

Confused

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
If it's the ceramic liner inside the base, it's pretty much a write off. I don't know of any way to repair them (though one might exist). Not sure you can just buy the base. Some parts for a BGE do crack over time (fire ring, etc) and can be replaced. The liner in the bottom though is basically one piece. Though in real dollars you might be able to come out a little ahead by replacing everything that's missing or broken (which I doubt), you'd still have almost as much in it as if you bought a Komodo Joe or a new BGE with a warranty. I'm sure the cracked one was tossed out for a reason.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
There are 3 parts to the bottom half. The base, the fire bowl (that holds the charcoal) and the fire ring. If you just need one part it is likely worth rebuilding. If you need all 3 plus the grates and the metal bands it is not worth it. I imagine the base could be $300 or more by itself.

I would not mess with epoxy, once the charcoal gets heated up to 500 or so you are offgassing chemicals into your food.

What I would do is put the top up for sale on craigslist for $125 and the cart for $50. The top does sometimes slip out of the metal bands and hit the ground and crack. There are people who look for the top only.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1891 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Who said anything about warrantying it out???

quote:
SOOOOO is it worth it to try to either warranty out the base

Confused

It's bad enough people when other people don't bother to read the OP before posting, but this takes it to a new level.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup.

But honestly, this is not unexpected.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he tells the local dealer the true story, there is no ethical dilemma if they choose replace the base under warranty or cut him a deal on parts.

If I were the local dealer...considering the lifetime value of a customer, I'd sell him the base at cost. It comes out fair after he replaces the accessories etc. at retail and comes back for all his future BGE needs.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

If I were the local dealer...considering the lifetime value of a customer, I'd sell him the base at cost. It comes out fair after he replaces the accessories etc. at retail and comes back for all his future BGE needs.

Sounds more like chasing bottom feeders to me.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'd just buy a new one.

I guess it's not dishonesty if you get the dealer to do it. He has to deal with the lying on his conscience instead of you.

You got some twisted ass logic there Jimmy. If you rip off the manufacture, or you convince the dealer to rip off the manufacture. Is there any difference? The manufacture is still replacing it for someone who does not have a warranty.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'd just buy a new one.

I guess it's not dishonesty if you get the dealer to do it. He has to deal with the lying on his conscience instead of you.

You got some twisted ass logic there Jimmy. If you rip off the manufacture, or you convince the dealer to rip off the manufacture. Is there any difference? The manufacture is still replacing it for someone who does not have a warranty.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I'm going to call the dealer, tell them the story, they are then going to call the manufacturer and tell them the story and if the manufacturer chooses to warranty it, that's their decision, but I said I cannot find a base FOR SALE anywhere online. So the dealer is going to have to call them and see if they sell them or only warranty them out, what the price is, ETC. Usually, if a part has a lifetime warranty, and you don't see them for sale anywhere, there usually is a reason. Meaning the manufacturer doesn't sell them only warranties all of them.

BUT, my question that NOBODY in 10 posts answered is "WHAT PARTS GO INSIDE OF IT AND HOW MUCH DO THEY COST" except Ibanda. Because if it needs ALL of the parts that go inside of it, that I see listed for sale online, and some are not optional, it far exceeds the price of a brand new one and it's not worth my time driving to the dealer to even worry about buying a base. If my neighbor didn't throw out the cooking grates and everything that was inside, it probably would have been worth buying the base and liner that are/were both cracked (he threw out the liner).

What is wrong with you people? Everyone is acting like I am on here asking for someone's original reciept so I can defraud the manufacturer, WHICH I AM NOT.

In 10 Posts NOBODY has answered my question "WHAT PARTS GO INSIDE AND HOW MUCH DO THEY ALL COST". I see all sorts of replacement parts online for them, ceramic liner, ceramic stand, the charcoal grate, the cooking grate, some other ceramic shelf looking thing. They're all expensive and if it needs all of the parts (meaning some are not options), it's far more expensive than buying a new one, without even worrying about the base or even wasting my time driving to the dealer tomorrow. Appliance factory parts, lists 92 parts for the grill.

I have a Weber gold that works perfectly, it has a charcoal grate and a cooking grate....not 15 different internal parts.

But to answer someone else's question, the grill was 100% complete on the side of the road in a neighborhood with houses $1 million or more,so no the manufacturer didn't warranty out the base, they throw ALL sorts of good stuff away in that neighborhood. My neighbor just picked up a Traeger elite 34" that's in pretty good condition, but needs a heating element. I helped him unload it, he didn't know what he had, and I told him, and that's how he mentioned the green egg in his back yard. My neighbor is a retired guy with plenty of money, but drives around picking up crap on the side of the road, sells some of it, hoards 1/2 of it, and breaks down and scraps the rest of it I guess out of boredom.

posted Hide Post
The question I was asking was, do the parts that go INSIDE of the grill exceeed the cost of the new one (before even wasting my time worrying about the base)Based upon what Ibanda states are the parts it needs:
XL fire ring $309.40
XL fire base $353.60
S/S cooking grate $171.60
ceramic plate setter $219.99 (I think this is the liner)

Bottom line it's not worth fooling with even worrying about fixing, or wasting my time driving to the local dealer to buy a base, that was the INITIAL question I was asking to begin with before everyone starting going down some rabbit hole.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the manufacturer chooses to warranty it,

If given all the info and they do replace the part one part, I imagine buying all the other parts will add up to the same as it more than buying new. I'd just buy a new one if I wanted one, that way you don't drop tons of money on something with no warranty. Or if you enjoy the simplicity and effectiveness of the Weber I'd stick with that.

It seems based on your research that BGE sells only through dealers and keeps their pricing hidden. Sounds like there's no quick answer to how much all 92 parts cost or the 70/92 that you need costs.

ETA looks like you figured it out while I was typing. Tell you neighbor to enjoy his planter.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
if the manufacturer chooses to warranty it,

If given all the info and they do replace the part one part, I imagine buying all the other parts will add up to the same as it more than buying new. I'd just buy a new one if I wanted one, that way you don't drop tons of money on something with no warranty. Or if you enjoy the simplicity and effectiveness of the Weber I'd stick with that.

It seems based on your research that BGE sells only through dealers and keeps their pricing hidden. Sounds like there's no quick answer to how much all 92 parts cost or the 70/92 that you need costs.

ETA looks like you figured it out while I was typing. Tell you neighbor to enjoy his planter.

That's where I'm at. I'm not going to fool with it, and I have toyed with the idea of buying a BGE initially but only need the large size anyways. But went down the cheaper road, I ended up buying a Weber smokey mountain smoker for $3xx and then a weber gold grill 22" for almost $200, when intially I could've bought the BGE for somewhat more than both of those......then again I hardly use the smoker 1-2x a year, and even though I grill about 3-4x a week I use my Gas S 330 90% of the time over the weber charcoal, since I don't grill beef anymore (low cholesterol diet) and time constraints and charcoal doesn't hardly add anything to boneless skinless chicken breasts like it does to a nice ribeye, or chicken with bones and skin.

posted Hide Post
Don't have a BGE (Kamado Joe here) so can't help you with the parts list, but something that might be worth trying would be to go to McMasterCarr's website and order a 4 oz tube of Thermeez 7020 ceramic putty for about $20 and see if you can seal up the crack from the inside of the base before deciding what to do with the rest of the BGE. As long as the damage isn't structural, it should make it functional. Cheap experiment, in any event!

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post