SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To those in NorCal about to lose power for days, stay safe Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the prevalence is but another effect of these PGE outages, at least in some areas, is not just loss of electricity but also water.

Water companies dependent upon PGE have been indicating reduced supply and requiring minimal water usage during these outage periods.

So, not electricity could also mean no water too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
So, not electricity could also mean no water too.

And electricity can—and does—mean fires. A sad state of affairs for the people who live there.
Will people in the rest of the country learn from their experiences? Probably not, if countless other examples are any indication.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PGE once again a fountain of information. Website still crashing. People who will definitely have their power turned off going to the website and being told they won’t. It feels like the vagrants camping under the freeway are really just two steps ahead of us instead of way behind and off track.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The irony with all of these outages, is people are so incensed with PG&E (really power utilities in general), they're re-considering making that leap to have solar panels installed and becoming less dependent on utilities. It would not be surprising to see over the next couple of years, we'll see whole residential communities and upscale developments where nearly every roof has panels.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

But once again fossil fuels (generators) save the day Cool

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will people in the rest of the country learn from their experiences? Probably not, if countless other examples are any indication.

most of the rest of the country don't have envirowhackos dictating policy

California has become the laboratory of stupid ideas and is a beacon of what not to do

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Heard a discussion about how the biggest fire threat problem in Cal. is the fact they do not allow enough clear cutting to clean up the brush and dead stuff to help prevent these horrendous fires. But it's Cal. Enjoy! Would'nt live in California on a bet. In the words of Archie Bunker "the land of fruits and nuts".

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The blackouts don't appear to be having the desired effect--the wildfires are still happening, some caused by power lines.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
And electricity can—and does—mean fires. A sad state of affairs for the people who live there.

I guess we are lucky that high winds in my area happen when everything is soaking wet. We also all have generators and wood stoves for heat. My longest outage was 9 days.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Being without power for a few days; having my house burn down …
being without power for a few days; having my house burn down …
being without power for a few days; having my house burn down ….

Such a difficult decision. How will I decide?

Maybe a trip to the Generator Store for a backup generator?

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe a trip to the Generator Store for a backup generator?

So, you’re in the, “Turn off the dam’ ’lectricity, all ready,” camp—?
Yes, so am I.

Not that I’m interested enough to try to research the question myself, but does any adult who might have some influence over California’s environmental policies ever stand up on his hind legs and say, “You know, if we clear cut for a half mile on each side of all our power lines, we would still have millions of acres of untouched plant life”?
Plus, “And now that you’ve had a small taste of being without power, how did you like it? Have you changed your mind about how important a few trees out in the country are to you?”
Does anyone there say things like that? Or is it a hanging offense to express such thoughts?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California Is Burning and It's Not Because of 'Climate Change'

Liberals are blaming California's wildfires on "climate change." Apparently, climate change now causes wildfires, but only in the state of California. Before this week, liberals thought rising sea levels would wash the state away. Now, they believe it will go up in flames unless we do something immediately to stop "climate change." But climate change hasn't turned California into a tinderbox, the environmentalists have.

California power company PG&E is preparing to pull the plug on 850,000 of its customers. PG&E has been deliberately cutting power to its customers in an effort to avoid wildfires. It isn't working. Massive wildfires erupted in areas where PG&E provides service. The Tick Fire has burned down several homes and caused the evacuation of more than 40,000 people so far, and other wildfires are burning throughout the state. In Sonoma County, the Kincade Fire has already torched 34 square miles and destroyed 49 homes. That fire was likely caused by a broken transmission line belonging to PG&E.

But PG&E's equipment couldn't start these huge wildfires without a bunch of dead brush fueling the flames. As Chuck Devore writes in Forbes, "the outrageous cost to remove a few dead trees from private land is a consequence of California's Byzantine environmental regulatory patchwork." It's not climate change that's responsible for these massive fires, "it's decades of environmental mismanagement that has created a tinderbox of unharvested timber, dead trees, and thick underbrush."

As Devore writes, "forest management is so bad on public lands that a new report, ordered by the California legislature in 2010, shows that the portion of California's National Forests protected from timber harvesting is now a net contributor to atmospheric carbon dioxide due to fires and trees killed by insects and disease." So if environmentalists really believed climate change was causing the fires, they would be calling for more timber harvesting to stop it.

How many people have to die before environmentalists wake up? Gov. Gavin Newsom has attributed California's wildfires to the effects of "climate change." But in 2018, President Trump correctly identified the problem and threatened to cut off federal funds if California didn't change its self-harming policies.

Trump tweeted, "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

Gov. Newsom declared a state of emergency on Friday, announcing that he had secured federal emergency funds from the Federal Emergency Management Agency. This is just like Newsom blaming the state's high gas prices on the big oil companies. He's trying to shift the blame. Only the longer he maintains this delusion about climate change causing wildfires, the more people will die in his state and the more homes will be destroyed.

Link

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
FEMA should give him exactly $1

didn't they get almost $5 billion from the feds for a project that never materialized and were they not supposed to return those funds?

California is sucking us dry and giving little if anything in return

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I know this is serious and I don't mean to make light of it, but this piece from the Babylon Bee, a satire site, was funny:

California Legislature Unveils Plan To Raise Taxes On Wildfires Until They Move Out Of State.

SACRAMENTO, CA—

As California authorities scramble to deal with the unprecedented destruction wrought by the rash of wildfires across the state, the legislature has announced a foolproof plan to get rid of the devastating fires. The legislature will sharply increase taxes on the fires each and every year until they finally have had enough and agree to move to a more fire-friendly state.

The governor announced the plan at a special press conference, vowing to nickel and dime the wildfires to the point where they just can't take it anymore. Initial fees will include a 10% tax on flames, a 25% "luxury" tax on smoke and ashes, and a 40 cent per square foot tax on acreage burned.

"Just as we've done with various businesses and private individuals, we will levy ever-increasing taxes on the fires," he said proudly. "Once they realize they're being taxed to death, they'll move on to greener pastures like Texas or Arizona." Governor Newsom said the taxes will be earmarked for public funding and pensions, but quickly added the state will likely "blow through the cash" on crazy pet projects faster than they could bring it in.

More conservative states immediately criticized his plan, complaining that the fires will simply come over to their states and ruin things.

"We don't want 'em," said Texas Governor Greg Abbott. "Stay over there, and stay out of our state. We have our own fires to deal with, not to mention all the crazy progressives you keep sending our way."

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are normal things so much more difficult for Ca than the rest of the nation?

Ca is a Failed State not a role model.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
California is what you get when you have a group of people with single or low double digit IQ's run the place, fueled by allowing environuts to dictate policy and then once you've exhausted your money, become a sanctuary state for criminals

California is what you get when a large collection of people get together and decide to hate being American

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know this is serious and I don't mean to make light of it, but this piece from the Babylon Bee, a satire site, was funny:

Nope. It is not serious. If it were serious, CA voters would pull their collective head out and jackwads like Nuisance^Huh, I mean Useless,^Huh, I mean Newsom and his ilk would be decorating lampposts, at least metaphorically if not literally. Unfortunately, until CA voters can get their collective head out, we only get the government we deserve. Frown

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'll be heading out of town for the weekend due to the power outages that are scheduled to start around 5pm this afternoon. My mother is taking in friends from Windsor, which is being evacuated.

I hope anyone affected by the outages and fire are safe and secure.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'll be heading out of town for the weekend due to the power outages that are scheduled to start around 5pm this afternoon. My mother is taking in friends from Windsor, which is being evacuated.

I hope anyone affected by the outages and fire are safe and secure.

Stay safe, Orguss. You live in Sonoma now?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post