SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York man faces illegal weapons charges after killing 2 burglars in his home: report
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York man faces illegal weapons charges after killing 2 burglars in his home: report Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
victimized twice....isn’t that nice Mad
Under NY law, the only 2 victims are the dead criminals. Frown

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Shame NY isn’t a free state. I feel like there should be retribution against those who trample on liberty. One day I’d love to see NY and other states politicians pay dearly for their attacks on freedom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
Another issue that any person who claims self-defense in NY faces is the duty to flee. If you, as the victim, can reasonably remove yourself from harm, you must do so rather than engage your attacker(s). So, even if the person legally possessed a firearm, the prosecutor could claim that the person unlawfully used the weapon because he could have fled from immediate danger. The burden is then on the original victim to prove that he/she could not flee.

You are not required to retreat if you are on your own private property. This also includes other people's private property that you are legelly on, i.e. not trespassing on.

Also, charges dropped in August.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime...charges-dropped.html

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the update. So there was justice after all. Good for Upstate New York.

No word in the article on whether the homeowner was able to keep the gun, had to surrender it, or what.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hey, thanks for the update. So there was justice after all. Good for Upstate New York.

No word in the article on whether the homeowner was keep the gun, had to surrender it, or what.

Probably because it was upstate. The rest of the state should quarantine NYC residents.

Build a wall.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
When Virginia passes a law next year thst has no grandfather clause and is so draconian that pretty much only revolvers and shotguns can be owned, you’re saying people with half a million dollars worth of guns should just turn them in?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I attended a talk at the Virginia Historical Society over a year ago about demographic shifts coming to Virginia. Leftoids are pouring into the northern counties while the population of the rural (mostly conservative) areas of the state are declining. It was inevitable; I just didn't expect it to be this fast. Rome in the 5th century.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
quote:
^^^^ This is true. As I recently learned, during the last Senate race in Texas between Cruz and O'Rourke, a great majority of the transplants from California actually voted for Cruz. The problem in Texas was not those moving into the State from blue states. The problem were young native Texans being indoctrinated at a young age and voting democrat.

I sure hope that’s not true, but common sense seems to have left the building with Elvis.

Native Texans voted for native Texan Beto O'Rourke, transplants went for Ted Cruz, exit poll shows

What's a bit ironic here is that Californians may have saved Texas from a Senator Beto.

Now how about that?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t think just moving is the answer. Eventually there won’t be anywhere to move to with that line of thinking. It’s ridiculous to assume people who have lived in the Old Dominion for generations will just up and move. I don’t see it. VA will become a battleground in regards to legal challenges to new unconstitutional gun laws if I had to guess on what is to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
How about more wildfires in CA?

Beyond your excellent point, wildfires in CA tend to burn in redder areas. If the happened in San Francisco or Los Angeles, they might affect more left leaning folks than right leaning folks (and to your point, there are right leaning folks in the cities too), but that’s not where they happen.

I don’t want bad things to happen to the residents of these places, I just want them to have an epiphany, pull their heads out, and start voting properly. Sadly, that is unlikely to happen...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I don’t think just moving is the answer. Eventually there won’t be anywhere to move to with that line of thinking. It’s ridiculous to assume people who have lived in the Old Dominion for generations will just up and move. I don’t see it. VA will become a battleground in regards to legal challenges to new unconstitutional gun laws if I had to guess on what is to come.

As a third generation California, I had similar thoughts. Now I’m just waiting for the kids to graduate and head off to college. The battle with the lovely bride is shaping up to be epic, but oh, well.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Might as well go live in the UK where it is illegal to defend yourself. Eek

Simply untrue.

Read some of my 9000+ posts and then post it again.

Smile I read you post and I listen to what you say

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will be moving to Virginia from Texas soon. Unfortunately, my decision to do so was made prior to the election and I have no means to retract my 2 year minimum commitment. Ideally, I would stay in Virginia until I retire in 7-1/2 years, but that may change. Regardless of my length of stay, I absolutely assure you that I will fight like Hell to prevent any of these laws passing, because I know with 100% certainty that the effort to remove them from the books is a magnitude greater than the effort to keep them off in the first place. Should any pass, I will continue to fight. I have resolved that I will be in Virginia for a reason and this is my fight.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by burnetma:
quote:

I will be moving to Virginia from Texas soon. Unfortunately, my decision to do so was made prior to the election and I have no means to retract my 2 year minimum commitment. Ideally, I would stay in Virginia until I retire in 7-1/2 years, but that may change. Regardless of my length of stay, I absolutely assure you that I will fight like Hell to prevent any of these laws passing, because I know with 100% certainty that the effort to remove them from the books is a magnitude greater than the effort to keep them off in the first place. Should any pass, I will continue to fight. I have resolved that I will be in Virginia for a reason and this is my fight.

Thank you, burnetma, for not being one to say (essentially), "you can't fire me, I quit" and running.

And for those who simply say, "just move," it's not simply that easy. It's not like picking up your marbles and leaving the park, at least from my point of view. I'm not independently wealthy, so I can't just walk away from my house (and mortgage) and buy another. I have a job [career] to consider. Frankly, I like my job and most of the people there. Though the economy is good, it's not particularly easy to leave a job and plant my tail at some other company. Impossible? No. As easy as posting a pic of a U-Haul? No stinking way.

Beyond that, simply running from the stupidness doesn't do anything to mitigate the stupidness -- it allows the stupidness to spread.

That said, I believe we've drifted this thread pretty heavily. Plus, there are at least two other threads addressing Virginia's upcoming stupidness.

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post