SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How negotiable are JD dealers on mowers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How negotiable are JD dealers on mowers? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I'm curious how close to MSRP an actual John Deere dealer would be on a mower.

I have a 25yr old LX176 with a Kawasaki engine that runs good, cuts good, but does not have a cup holder.

I have decided I need a cup holder, possibly attached to a x350.

Anyone have any experience dealing on these? I suspect its one of those things that is easier to get discounted accessories instead of much of a price cut. I do need a bagger and bumper.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I love it..... buy a new lawn tractor to get a cupholder! Sounds like something I'd do. Big Grin

If it is within your budget I'd recommend one of the X300's with a Kawasaki engine but without the K46 hydro transmission, the next heavier transmission is probably a K58 which is what's on my X310.

As far as negotiating I've not had much success doing so with JD dealers. My closest dealer wouldn't budge off msrp but I found one 50 miles away in the next state that took off $120 and didn't charge me tax which amounted to another $240.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I love it..... buy a new lawn tractor to get a cupholder! Sounds like something I'd do. Big Grin

If it is within your budget I'd recommend one of the X300's with a Kawasaki engine but without the K46 hydro transmission, the next heavier transmission is probably a K58 which is what's on my X310.

As far as negotiating I've not had much success doing so with JD dealers. My closest dealer wouldn't budge off msrp but I found one 50 miles away in the next state that took off $120 and didn't charge me tax which amounted to another $240.

Similar experience with my local JD dealer on my x310 (purchased that model to get the serviceable transmission). I was able to get them to throw in a front bumper. They were also offering 0% financing on it at the time (There may have been a sale on them, but I don't recall the specific details anymore).

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Unless your mower is super cherry most dealers wont allow much on trade. That JD green sure sells on Craigslist.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Since JD quarterly earning failed to meet expectations, I suspect slight price increases coming on their products. Act prudently

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Since JD quarterly earning failed to meet expectations, I suspect slight price increases coming on their products. Act prudently

I don't think those two things necessarily go together. Increased prices could further depress sales and income.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’m not trying to derail your thread but, if you mow a large yard, consider a zero turn. I watch a couple of my neighbors mow with their lawn tractor and hope they packed a lunch. My zero cuts at least twice as fast, strips nicely, mulches and is a dream around trees. It does have a cup holder, too.

Just food for thought.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Ours here wont budge on the price but they can on accessories and your trade in.
That's been my experience anyway.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I’m not trying to derail your thread but, if you mow a large yard, consider a zero turn. I watch a couple of my neighbors mow with their lawn tractor and hope they packed a lunch. My zero cuts at least twice as fast, strips nicely, mulches and is a dream around trees. It does have a cup holder, too.

Just food for thought.

If I went that route it would be a Wright Stander but they are twice the price.

I am thinking x350 specifically because it is Kawasaki. The purchase may be next year but I'm going to start shopping now.

My old one would sell fast in the front yard. It has a newer deck.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Three dealerships in southeastern Michigan, Weingartz, Bader and Sons and D&G Equipment. Shop all three.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do run sales occasionally. I bought an X304 all wheel steer a couple of years ago. I think they had $400 off at the time, like Jan or Feb. Probably no deals now. I hated the fact that the blades turn off whenever you put it in reverse. Absolutely hated it. Used it a couple of months and then sold it and bought a Gravely (Ariens) zero turn and love it. Blades do NOT turn off in reverse.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Three dealerships in southeastern Michigan, Weingartz, Bader and Sons and D&G Equipment. Shop all three.

Good advice!

If they are all relatively the same on price, maybe one will step up on additional / extended warranty coverage, maintenance freebies / discounts, parts discounts, a JD hat and t-shirt, etc.

Posts: 3476 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Shopped 2 dealers for an LX280, msrp was concrete.
Shopped 3 dealers for a 4066R/FEL and none would budge off msrp. I ended up buying it and having it delivered off of Tractor House from a dealer in Oh way below msrp and no tax.
Pretty small sample size and values in the 4K
and 30K neighborhood.
Maybe if I was spending 100 or 200K+ the dealers
would deal lower than msrp.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not trying to derail your thread but, if you mow a large yard, consider a zero turn.

It isn't the size of the yard that determines whether a ZTR mower is wise, but how long the straight runs are. Shorter runs and/or lots of obstacles demands A ZTR mower. As for mowing speed: The above aside: Blade tip speed and deck size is a big determinant.

When I first bought our home I could do a "quicky" job with my JD STX-38 in about an hour. That was when front and back yards were like billiards tables. By the time my wife got done putting in gardens that was up to 3-1/2 hours! Enter a hydrostatic drive Walker ZTR with a 48" deck. Back down to under an hour.

I will say this: After mowing with a commercial ZTR mower for 20 years, I don't know if I could go back to a consumer lawn tractor again Razz

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'll toss in my two cents as well for a ZTR mower. Bought a Kubota 48" last year and it has sped up the usual chore of mowing to a pleasant, much shorter experience. With TWO cup holders!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I've cut a lot of grass. I cut commercial during summers in college. All over middle TN I was cutting Walmarts, Krogers, Walgreens, and huge apartment complexes. If I could justify a commercial stand on I would.

Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:

Just food for thought.

If I went that route it would be a Wright Stander but they are twice the price.

I am thinking x350 specifically because it is Kawasaki. The purchase may be next year but I'm going to start shopping now.

My old one would sell fast in the front yard. It has a newer deck.

I cut my friend's grass at his place he has a Gravely zero turn with a Kawasaki and no problems in the 4 years I've used it. Then I come to my house and I have a regular old 42" Scott riding mower that says John Deere on it. If I had the money I would never buy anything but a zero turn now days

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I have a 25yr old LX176 with a Kawasaki engine

Gotta love my LX176. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a JD cup holder for around $20 for my JD GT 285. Not as much fun as a new tractor...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have a cup holder on my 17 year old 42" Craftsman LT 1000 Lawn Tractor. The cup holder sucks... it is too wide and not deep enough. It will not secure a can, bottle, or anything else I have tried. Unless you are mowing the smoothest lawn on earth, I would look into how securely the new mower will hold the beverage. Oh yeah, make sure you have a lid that closes too. Nothing as tasty as a beverage with a little grass clipping added to it.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post