SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cutting boards - Plastic vs wood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting boards - Plastic vs wood Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Someone gave me the link to this site Link where I found this article.

Wood - It’s more than beautiful.

People have a fascination with wood. We admire the beauty of wooden tables and furniture. Our love for wood is not just aesthetic. Wood is also very practical for many uses.
In recent years some have criticized things made of wood, including furniture and toys, as a source of bacteria. The US Department of Agriculture recommended the use of plastics rather than wood for this reason. They claimed that non-porous surfaces like plastic would be less likely to hold bacteria and would be easier to keep clean and germ free. Also, they argued, since plastics were synthetic they would tend to kill bacteria. However, studies showed that pathogens prefer plastics.
Microbiologists at the University of Wisconsin in Madison were trying to find decontamination techniques that would make wood as safe as plastic. What they found was that, if they inoculated wooden boards with either salmonella, listeria, or E.coli (all food poisoning agents) 99% of the bacteria died. When the bacteria were put on plastic, none of them died. Left overnight, the plastic bacteria multiplied and none were found on the wood.
When they inoculated plastic and wood on three consecutive days and left them unwashed and at room temperature, the wood had 99.9% fewer bacteria than had been placed on it. At the same time in the words of the experimenter “the plastic boards were downright disgusting.” Wood has anti-bacterial properties that are not found in any man-made material. The researchers tested maple, birch, beech, black cherry, basswood, butternut, and American black walnut with the same results. It did not seem to matter whether the wood was new or old.
The U.S.D.A. officials said that their recommendation of acrylic or other non-porous materials was based on common sense and not scientific data. In this case, when the scientific data came in, common sense was shown to be wrong. It also appears that the Designer of wood knew what he was doing.
References-
Science News, February 6, 1993, pages 84 - 85

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Plastic seems to be easier on my knives.

Posts: 12938 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'll use plastic if I'm cutting up something that may stain my wood (like beets), but otherwise it's the Boos blocks all the way.

I figure if mom was able to cut up thousands of chickens on her wooden board over the years without any of us ever getting sick, I should be pretty safe.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I like the polyethylene boards

e.g. Progressive PCB-1812 Prep Solutions Cutting Board, Juice Grooves, Large Thick Chopping Board, Dishwasher Safe, 17.38" X 11.25"

But usually grab an MIU flexible cutting board. My surface is a butcher block table, and sometimes I cut on that.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my bamboo board. But, I wash it, so not really worried.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
End-grain wood for all things except raw meat (and we don't eat beets in my house). Plastic for the raw meat especially pork and fowl.

Oops, and then I read the link in the OP

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The article compared these board after being unwashed for three days.
I don't want to eat food from anything that is unwashed for three days.

Posts: 9547 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So no one here is going to change their cutting practices after reading the OP? Interesting.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well I changed years ago. Co-worker is from a 3 generation meat cutting family. He told me about this at least 5 years ago.

European meat cutters are much further ahead on many cleanliness issues. His brother went to Germany to apprentice and came back with many "new" old ideas.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used wood for everything but meat and plastic for meat.

Guess I've been doing it wrong. May pick up another wood cutting board. I like to have two so when I'm cooking veggies and such can be cut on one and meats on the other.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I keep a pint squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol around the kitchen. After wiping off and drying my wooden cutting board, I wet it down and let it evaporate. That should take care of almost all bugs.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I went to wood a while ago after reading that report.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I keep a pint squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol around the kitchen. After wiping off and drying my wooden cutting board, I wet it down and let it evaporate. That should take care of almost all bugs.

"All rubbing alcohols are unsafe for human consumption: isopropyl rubbing alcohols do not contain the ethyl alcohol of alcoholic beverages; ethyl rubbing alcohols are based on denatured alcohol, which is a combination of ethyl alcohol and one or more bitter poisons that make the substance toxic."

Posts: 2544 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:

"All rubbing alcohols are unsafe for human consumption: isopropyl rubbing alcohols do not contain the ethyl alcohol of alcoholic beverages; ethyl rubbing alcohols are based on denatured alcohol, which is a combination of ethyl alcohol and one or more bitter poisons that make the substance toxic."

Alcohol will evaporate without leaving residue. There will be no alcohol left so toxicity isn't really an issue. In addition, Jim is doing it correctly. You need a contact time to kill bacteria. If you use alcohol and then dry right away then you aren't effectively sanitizing. If using Isopropyl alcohol choose 70% and a contact time of 10 minutes (make sure it stays wet for that long). If you use ethanol the ideal concentration is a bit less (~62% IIRC). Anyhow this is how we sanitize aseptic drug filling equipment, so probably good for cutting boards.

Aside from that, alcohol will sanitize, but it doesn't necessarily disinfect. If there are bacterial spores and some food source left on the board for a long time then these bacteria could start to reproduce. Unlikely an issue in most situation. But about the only true sporicide people have on hand is bleach. That shit kills everything.

I don't like plastic for keeping knives sharp or for cleanliness. The info in the OP has been around for years. I've been using the Epicurean cutting board, which is thin and light, easy on my knives, easy to clean with bleach, etc. It's synthetic with natural wood fibers. My only gripe is that it warps if a bit of water gets under it.

For knife sharpness I like end grain wood as mentioned a few posts up. But the only one I have is 3" thick and weighs a ton, so I've stopped using it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Someone told me they keep a spray jar filled 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar to clean and sanitize their kitchen items.

I don't know about this. Any comments?

By the way, if you want to kill any and all germs, bad cooties and such, get a spray bottle or wipes of Cavicide. This is some effective stuff. However you don't want to eat anything that's been on it.

I used to use it for certain medical equipment in the pharmacy.

CAVICIDE LINK

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
So no one here is going to change their cutting practices after reading the OP? Interesting.

I threw away all my plastic cutting boards years ago after reading up on the subject. Wood is a lot easier to keep clean and ready for use too.

Posts: 6957 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I like bamboo. Tough as hell and keeps my Shun knives razor sharp.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason they don’t make Petri dishes out of wood...

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put my plastic boards that I cut raw meat on in the dishwasher. Never had a problem. I don’t do too much raw meat cutting if I can avoid it.

I made my own end grain cutting block 14”x18” or so a few years ago. Use that for cooked meats and just hand wash with a soapy sponge and soap and towel dry. Never had a problem

Bambooo is very hard and the cheap ones at Walmart are definitely not end train. Do you find yourself sharpening more often ?

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
End grain cutting boards for everything for me. I have one I specifically use for meat that gets boiling water on it followed by Star San sanitizer.

Though I’m a woodworker so they’re relatively inexpensive for me. They also make great Christmas/ birthday gifts.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post