SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best way to sync a folder between two computer locations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best way to sync a folder between two computer locations? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If your files are available through the network then why do you need them on your computer or multiple computers?
Backup strategy?

We want to be able to access them from multiple computers and add more photos from any computer. It’s also a second copy that will be used for a third backup to a portable hard drive to take elsewhere.

Also, the NAS can be accessed from anywhere.

When they are on your NAS they are available anywhere.
All you need is just a good backup plan.
I don't see any advantage with synchronization.
Like ensigmatic said there are only problems notably duplicates and differential copies.
A NAS network share solves those problems.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I've been using SyncBackPro for probably 15 years. They also have a free version.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you are accessing the same file across multiple devices, then those files should live on the NAS. Attach an external hard drive to the NAS, and use backup software to curate a backup (not a duplicate set) of your NAS.

Creating duplicate sets of data increases risks of data loss. When you copy files back and forth, and especially if it's with multiple computers, you will eventually fuck something up. It's just not worth it.

If you absolutely must have real time sharing of files or photos across multiple devices not connected to your NAS, you have to look at purpose built products like Google Drive, Google Photos, and Drop Box. The file versioning in those products keeps multiple users from messing up the files.

All that said, I use SyncToy to run file syncing, but I use it for a very particular use scenario: I use it to create a copy of the data drive from my desktop to bring with me when I travel, and then use it again to sync the changes back to the desktop when I return. I don't use it as a backup (desktop backs up to the NAS, NAS backs up to cloud +external USB), and I don't use both sets of data concurrently, or allow more than one user access to the either data set. In other words, I never have conflicting versions of, or changes to, the same file.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
If your files are available through the network then why do you need them on your computer or multiple computers?
Backup strategy?

I use a Mac desktop and a MBP laptop. I like to feel "at home" when I'm using the laptop, so I mirror the most important folders onto the laptop. Yes, the files are available on the network, when I am at home, but with plenty of space on the MBP, it is much more convenient to have them locally available. And then when I travel with the MBP, everything is right there. It is not intended as part of a backup plan. That is all handled with external drives attached to the desktop. But I have occasionally gone to the laptop to retrieve a file I messed up.

If you are using a Mac, the rsync utility (mentioned above by ensigmatic) is already there, just needing a config file and then to be loaded as a daemon. Then I use rsync as a client on the laptop to sync with the desktop. I use a shell script to perform the sync.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
True IF you need the files offline or the ability to access if the network is down then it is a good idea.
This would be much more beneficial in an Internet share aka the files are in the cloud than in a Local Area Network.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
True IF you need the files offline or the ability to access if the network is down then it is a good idea.
This would be much more beneficial in an Internet share aka the files are in the cloud than in a Local Area Network.

I like Dropbox because I get a real local folder plus the cloud. If I'm not on-line, then my folder stays intact locally, then gets backed up to dropbox (in the cloud) next time I am online.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
Git?

You're kidding ---right?

Not at all. --- if you look at what goes on under the hood ... git just plays games with the file system.

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post