SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The interwebs are getting creepy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The interwebs are getting creepy Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Yesterday, I posted this thread in the Lair.

This morning, I was called in to work to do a procedure, and afterwards was looking something up on Youtube. The sidebar had both of the videos that I posted in the Lair yesterday as the top two on the page. Eek

I have never signed in to Youtube. Two completely different computers. Yet, it knew what videos I'd looked up.

I'm getting closer and closer to completely cutting the internet cord once and for all. This shit is too creepy.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You belong to the Collective, now.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Are you signed into Google/Gmail on both?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Resistance is futile

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Those in compliance have nothing to fear

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I hate that shit.

All such practices should be 100% Opt-In, only.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until you start talking about something with your wife/friends, and then you see an AD for it in your Facebook feed...

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Welcome to 1994: Link to an explanation.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Welcome to 1994: Link to an explanation.

Nope. Not cookies. Two separate computers and not signed into Google or Youtube on either.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where you signed into your e-mail provider on the computer you were using?

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Home computer yes, but not the work one.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Have you preciously used that same work computer for anything that requires you to login, like a forum or Amazon or any webmail, ever?

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You've been tagged. You're doomed. The only thing you can do now is find a cave, fill it with what you need to survive for the rest of your life. Or, just do what the rest of the billions of us that have been tagged and sit back and enjoy the ride. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Have you preciously used that same work computer for anything that requires you to login, like a forum or Amazon or any webmail, ever?

Here and Amazon, yeah.

I ain't right. And I don't like it one bit.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Just take the blue pill. It'll all be better tomorrow.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Here and Amazon, yeah.

I ain't right. And I don't like it one bit.

It's probably the Amazon cookies on the work computer, then. The ad servers are probably making the connection between work-you and home-you before it spits out the tailored ads, and some companies you wouldn't normally associate with one another used shared services for ad placement so all manner of crisscross happens behind the scenes.

Hell, it could probably be done with a fair degree of accuracy even without the Amazon cookies on the work machine, just by behavior patterns of basic browsing.

It sucks, but the ship sailed years ago. Nothing short of enormous changes in the related laws will change anything, either. The internet and smartphones, mixed with free email and social media, have killed any sense of privacy, probably forever. I am displeased.

That or aliens.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post