Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leg cramps Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Haven't rode my bike for awhile. Went on a 20 mile ride over relatively flat sandy/gravel terrain. Riverside and saw a couple of waterfalls. Nice.

I drank about 2 bottles of water before the ride and then 2 during the ride.

By the end of the ride, I was somewhat dehydrated. But I was having major leg cramps. Thigh, hamstring, calf, shin, even my feet. Both sides.

I've had cramps - usually a particular muscle that just goes away after some massaging / stretching.

But these were relentless. One leg alternating. Sometimes both legs. And sometimes one muscle group, sometimes the whole leg.

This went on for about 3-4 hours with cramps happening at least one location every 10-15 minutes.

I drank about 4-5 bottles when I got back. And even had 2 cups of OJ.

Never had cramps this bad before. Hurt to a level that I would start to sweat each time.

Not sure why.... Age?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
You need more sodium. Electrolytes. Brawndo if you will.

I use these for my rides on especially hot days and have not had a cramp since I started using them. They work great.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/endurolytes-extreme/

Look into to this stuff as well. It's also supposed to be a very good product.

https://osmonutrition.com

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Look here:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4560047724

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I would recommend bananas, or other potassium source.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8953 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

This and continue to drink lots of water.

If it's been awhile since those muscles have really been used that could be part of it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^Yes, this!

I move five lines of 4" dia sprinkler pipe daily through the summer. It's hot as hell, I sweat a LOT, and though I drink a lot of water I often get leg cramps at night when I'm in bed. I think age has something to do with it (I'm 62 now) -- I worked a lot harder when I was younger and never had this problem. But it is what it is, and so after a couple of years of experimenting I've found some things that help.

I find that eating a banana every day, like Pipe Smoker suggested, helps a lot to keep the cramps away.

I also find that taking a calcium supplement (600 mg) every day, swallowed with a glass of orange juice, helps a lot.

And I salt my food liberally.

Try these things; they're low cost easy solutions and I think you'll be surprised by how much they help.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I live in the South where we add food to our salt, I drink water like a fish, I still get cramps...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
More importantly though, you need a sodium supplement. And you need it during your ride as well if you're out for more than an hour. A simple banana ain't gonna cut it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
One tea spoon of yellow mustard will stop the leg cramps. A very old and effective remedy, usually works within one or two minutes.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to get nasty leg cramps while sleeping. Why yes, I woke up IN PAIN. I now take these every morning and no more cramps.

https://www.walgreens.com/stor.../ID=prod3532-product

FWIW, I run a lot but never got cramps while running.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
When I tried potassium as a stand alone, it didn't help much. When I used magnesium and potassium, that did the trick. That and sufficient agua.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I rode bike patrol for 9 years and I found a banana and dark chocolate helped a lot.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've had wicked leg cramps for as long as I can remember. I started taking magnesium supplements a couple weeks ago and it seems to be helping more than anything else I've tried.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Salt, Ka, Mg. Ok. I'll get some.

I actually went to the grocery store that day but all they had were bananas from Mexico. I usually avoid produce from Mexico. And then the cramps got really bad later. But next time, cramp avoidance gets priority. Smile I know - I can hear it already: "you're so picky, blah blah blah." Smile

Wait, I think my Ka levels are generally elevated. If I get dehydrated, then does that raise my serum concentration leading to cramps? Does OJ and bananas then aggravate my cramps? Should I just be drinking lots and lots of water?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Drink pickle juice.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Pickle juice? As in juice a pickle? Or the solution in the jar in which pickles are immersed? I usually don't buy pickles - I make sunomono at home. I'll go buy pickles - any brand recommendations?

Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I'm not a cyclist, but I run/walk over 50 miles per week. As Balze Halze said, you need electrolytes. The Hammer Endurolytes work great, I used their Fizz tablets in my water bottles during the Peachtree Road Race (10k) on 7/4, no cramps. Matter of fact, while training for the Peachtree, I gave some of my Fizz water to a friend that was cramping, cleared them up in no time.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Pickle juice? As in juice a pickle? Or the solution in the jar in which pickles are immersed? I usually don't buy pickles - I make sunomono at home. I'll go buy pickles - any brand recommendations?

Slam down some of this stuff when you start cramping, and you'll be cured in no time.

(That's what they advertise anyway Wink )

I'm kinda curious myself how well it works.

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-...DTY00THQEP0T0DGFEXKN

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Drink pickle juice.

This works well, and quickly, for me. Vlasic dill is my preference.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have to take a potassium supplement anyway, because of using Lasix® (a diuretic); however, if I get cramps I start taking magnesium tablets for a while, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post