SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Bird Rescue Friend Killed Herself Last Night
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Bird Rescue Friend Killed Herself Last Night Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
She was an indispensable asset to the rehab community. No exaggeration.

Very little effects me nowdays, but this leaves me completely gobsmacked as I know that many birds will die because she isn't there.

You can look up Amanda Margraves and find articles about her work. She was integral to the work on conservation in Belize. She was one of the organizers with the wildlife rescue after the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

She had become depressed with the death of her husband in a motorcycle wreck last year and had just spiraled down from there.

I met her when she built the aviary at the RiverQuarium back in Albany, she asked us for advice about owls when I was at the center for birds of prey.

http://www.humansofthekeys.com...raves-tavernier.html

https://thegreenmindinitiative...dlife-rehabilitator/

http://floridafive.org/eco-hero-wild-bird-protector/

This is how I remember my friend. Not anybody can just crawl up and pet a secretary bird.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this sad news...Frown

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
That's terrible Mars. She will now find the peace she was looking for. Remember the good times with her.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Oh, Mars, what a tragedy! I am so sorry for you and for Amanda's family. I know very personally how loved ones never get over this.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Frown

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss, Mars. Condolences for her family and friends.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your friend and the tragedies in her life.

Is there not some agency that might be able to provide some help until another rescuer is found?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Damn, I hate that, especially for you and her close friends. What can you say when that happens? I'm so sorry to hear of her passing.

Stay strong, prayers sent...

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Damn Marzy. Frown

I am sorry.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss and for the loss her absence will cause. sometimes the hole they leave in the universe when they are gone can be tremendous. She seems like a wonderful person and great asset to the cause.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Mars.

Hang on to the good memories.

May God comfort you and her family and friends.

Prayers Sent.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Marzy, I am sorry to hear that. Was she the same person who posted here a few times?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
No, Amanda never posted here.

She was based in South Florida.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
She had become depressed with the death of her husband in a motorcycle wreck last year and had just spiraled down from there.

That's just incredibly sad, losing your half. So sorry. Frown

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Condolences, sorry for your loss Mars.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I had a close friend who did the same way back in 1989. It still bothers me greatly, to this day. I fear You are in for some of the same.

So Sorry to read of her passing.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post