SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 11 pm

little change in plot, although Wilmington is getting close to being out of the contour

Max sus wind 40 mph
Movement W at 3 mph

If the storm is to follow the NOAA forecasted track, it is going to have to swing to NW direction in movement

If the max sustained wind speed drops below 39 mph, Florence will then be classified as a Tropical Depression

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Reports of looting in storm-ravaged North Carolina

The police report:
“Management has asked us to not intervene.”

Guess “management” is expect their insurance company to cover the losses. Wonder how that will work out?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:

The police report:

Guess “management” is expect their insurance company to cover the losses. Wonder how that will work out?

I'll bet it's not a store owned by an Asian family.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
This thing is moving as fast as a woman in a shoe store...

You've been there too? Big Grin

Seriously, though, I hope and pray y'all in the area get through this with minimal after effects.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 5am Sun

Florence has dropped to a Tropical Depression

Max Sustained wind 35 mph
Movement W at 8 mph

The high pressure system that has been blocking the forward progress of Florence is predicted to slide eastward and southeastward during the next day or so. As a result, over the next couple of days, Florence is expected to move northwestward, northward, and then
north-northeastward around the periphery of the high.

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Detour around NC for those traveling I95 to the South, as per NCDOT...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:

Interstate 81 through Virginia is normally packed without diverting I95 traffic onto it. Weekends are a little slower.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Has the looting started yet?

Apparently it has.

https://www.wral.com/weather/h...anes/video/17846454/

That's not looting. That's undocumented wealth redistribution.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

The police report:

I'll bet it's Nike shoes that are being looted...

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The police report:

They used interesting wording, “Management has asked us to not intervene.”

It doesn't say whose management - Family Dollar mgmt or City mgmt. I wouldn't discount the latter as we have a former Wilmington LEO on this board who has posted extensively about the crime in Wilmington and the bureaucrats (both police admins and city hall) that enable it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The police report:

They used interesting wording, “Management has asked us to not intervene.”

It doesn't say whose management - Family Dollar mgmt or City mgmt. I wouldn't discount the latter as we have a former Wilmington LEO on this board who has posted extensively about the crime in Wilmington and the bureaucrats (both police admins and city hall) that enable it.

It was family dollar management. However, city brass at the EOC chose to honor the request. And it was local management...likely from the community doing the looting. The chief instructed detectives to charge anyone they could identify, after the fact, and said they wouldn’t stand by and watch again.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/big-...hic-flooding-feared/

North Carolina’s transportation secretary says one of his top priorities is to find a way to get into Wilmington after damage from Florence closed major roads into the city.

Transportation Secretary Jim Trogdon told The Associated Press on Sunday that U.S. 74 into Wilmington is impassable and Interstate 40 into the city also is closed.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
At a Dollar Store? I don't think they carry those.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The police report:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
The eye isn't an issue. It's the giant rotation around it.
It's grabbing Charlotte like swinging around a flag pole heading NE.

As far as stores they make a total loss claim, sell what they have as seconds then get made whole by ins. ...win win ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
The eye isn't an issue. It's the giant rotation around it.
It's grabbing Charlotte like swinging around a flag pole heading NE.

As far as stores they make a total loss claim, sell what they have as seconds then get made whole by ins. ...win win ....

yep

there is usually a high cap on when the insurance will kick in,

when I was in the grocery business it was 1 million,

not a lot when you consider what the stores did in a year (store I managed did 1 mill on a good week, )

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:

No need to go that far west. Take I-77 from 81 to Columbia SC then I-26 to 95.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was told parts of 77 sucked.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The problem with I-77 through Columbia is that is where the storm is...

I'd suggest cut down I26 to here in Greenville then I-85 over to Commerce Ga and then cut down through Athens and hit U.S. 1 and then over to I75.... but then that might be too complicated for most folks and many people are afraid to get off the interstate.. .they might actually have to meet a local person and find out that they are really okay.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I just drove from Charleston to Charlotte this morning, right through Columbia. I-26W to I-77N. Other than a few bouts of heavier rain it was fine. No issues with flooding, trees, etc. Those two roads were fine. Just watch your speed as the roads are obviously wet and people driving too fast might have problems. (I was doing 65-70 with no issues but there were a few people doing 80+)

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://apnews.com/7b65f460a82...-isolated-Wilmington

Throwing a lifeline to a city surrounded by floodwaters, emergency crews delivered food and water to Wilmington on Monday as rescuers picked up more people stranded by Hurricane Florence and the storm’s remnants took aim at the densely populated Northeast.

The death toll from Florence rose to at least 32, and crews elsewhere used helicopters and boats to rescue people trapped by still-rising rivers.

“Thank you,” a frazzled, shirtless Willie Schubert mouthed to members of a Coast Guard helicopter crew who plucked him and his dog Lucky from atop a house encircled by water in Pollocksville. It was not clear how long he had been stranded.

A day earlier, Wilmington’s entire population of 120,000 people was cut off by flooding. By midday Monday, authorities reopened a single unidentified road into the town, which stands on a peninsula. But it wasn’t clear if that the route would remain open as the Cape Fear River kept swelling. And officials did not say when other roads might be clear.

In some places, the rain finally stopped, and the sun peeked through, but North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper warned that dangerously high water would persist for days. He urged residents who were evacuated from the hardest-hit areas to stay away because of closed roads and catastrophic flooding that submerged entire communities.

About two dozen truckloads of military MREs and bottled water were delivered overnight to Wilmington, the state’s eighth-largest city, officials said.

The chairman of New Hanover County’s commissioners, Woody White, said three centers would open by Tuesday morning to begin distributing essentials to residents.

Crews have conducted about 700 rescues in New Hanover County, where more than 60 percent of homes and businesses were without power, authorities said.

Compounding problems, downed power lines and broken trees crisscrossed many roads in Wilmington three days after Florence made landfall. The smell of broken pine trees wafted through damaged neighborhoods.

At the White House, President Donald Trump said almost 20,000 military personnel and federal workers were deployed to help with the aftermath.

Preliminary statistics from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration showed Florence had the fourth-highest rainfall total of any hurricane to hit the U.S. mainland since 1950, with 35.94 inches (91.2 centimeters) at Elizabethtown, North Carolina. Harvey’s total of 60.58 inches (60.5 centimeters) last year in Texas is No. 1.