SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast)
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tropical Storm Florence (East Coast) Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
stay safe everyone

my company CFO lives just outside Myrtle and I haven't heard from her all day

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53184 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From just a bit NE of Raleigh, winds have picked up a bit, but the rain is starting to come down heavy, and hasn’t stopped in a while.

Posts: 425 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The eye of the storm is about 15 miles N of Myrtle Beach

the worst rainfall area has reduced somewhat

The video of the reporter "struggling" while 2 people walk casually by, is now up on Drudge.

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Talked (well txt) with some of the guys back in Hubert/Jacksonville. Still a bit of wind but the rain just keeps coming. His service is spotty. Lots of trees down. Onslow county is lifting the curfew early (noon tomorrow instead of 0700 Sunday). I'm deciding whether to head back Sunday afternoon or Monday morning. Water on Topsail was shut off and some of Onslow is under a boil water advisory. ONWASA says they are buring 3000 gallons of fuel a day in their generators to keep the water running.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 11 pm

Max sustained wind 65 mph
Movement WSW at 5 mph

green > 58 mph but less than 74
blue > 39 mph

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
^
Dunno about that. Hasn't been any wind worth mentioning, and it rained lightly for about twenty minutes this afternoon, never even closed the windows.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
When I left I took:

Colt 6720
180 rounds M855
Browning Hi Power
150 rounds 147 HST
2 case MRE
1 case water (32ct)
2 five gallon water
2 five gallon fuel
4 cans SPAM
1 bottle Texas Pete (X hot)
1 bottle Jim Beam
1 Zippo

Been in touch with the guys. I'm heading back Sunday bringing what I can. Lots of rain and no power. Might hit up local hardware for fuel conatiners.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in Charlotte and the wind kicked up to about 20 mph with 35 mph sustained gusts, but that was it early yesterday. There have a been a few localized power losses from the wind, but nothing that has not been overcome quickly.

It did start to rain last night at 8 PM and it was coming down in sheets, and the local weather said that it would be raining non stop for 60 hours (Monday AM), but it stopped within 20 minutes, and I'd say it has only rained a total of 2 hours since lsat night - maybe 0.3 inches.

I think that how much it has slowed down will ultimately drown the coastal area. I had expected it to make it inland by 75 miles by now, and instead it is camped out churning at 3-4 mph. At that rate, it will be here by next Wednesday.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
How accurate does the SF community consider Accuweather to be? I ask because NOAA says the eastern panhandle of WV is only in for about 1” of rain at most from the remains of Florence. Accuweather says more on the order of around 5”. That is a pretty significant disparity.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in Spartanburg SC, the wind is starting to pick up a good bit. No rain yet.

How our the members from the coast and Columbia area doing?

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
From Florence, SC, rain total 2 1/4" thus far. Wind got my redbud tree that I had propped back up after Matthew. Not going to try to save it this time.

Wind is down to breezy gusts every now and then.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My son's still on base at Fort Bragg. Yesterday he said it was just lots of rain and high winds. A tree did come down in his backyard and took out a fence. That's the last I've heard.

the findmyiphone app shows him still at home with a fully charged phone. So he's probably playing video games and waiting to get called to work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
NOAA 8 am Sat

lower wind, but storm is just sitting there

max sustained wind 50 mph
movement W at 2 mph

On the Rainfall plot, I am not sure how to interpret it. In the lower left corner it says:

"72 hour Day 1-3 forecast. Valid 8am Sat thru 8 am Tue"

Does that mean this is new rainfall, in addition to everything that occurred Thu and Fri ? I think the answer is yes.

adding note from NOAA:

"More than a foot of rain has already fallen across portions of southeastern North
Carolina, and more rain is still to come, which will cause disastrous flooding that will spread inland through the weekend."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
How accurate does the SF community consider Accuweather to be? I ask because NOAA says the eastern panhandle of WV is only in for about 1” of rain at most from the remains of Florence. Accuweather says more on the order of around 5”. That is a pretty significant disparity.

Normally pretty accurate. But this storm is defying accurate predictions so far, other than southeastern N.C. is going to be under water soon. So far as rain amounts elsewhere, it’s totally hit or miss depending on speed and drift of the storm and whether or not you catch heavy rain bands. Or not.
The Raleigh are was supposed to be in worse shape than it is, but so far we’ve caught the breaks. With the storm having weakened and moved away, ever so little, it would seem the worst is over. But the local media keeps warning of high wind gusts. Considering the center has only 50 MPH winds and is 180-200 miles away how is that possible?
It’s like they want to prolong their nonstop coverage and have an “I told you so!” moment. At least their people in the field are not leaning into the 15 mph gusts.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in Duncan (Spartanburg). Little wind, but the sun is out.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^ actually reporters are already getting caught doing just that (leaning into minor gusts). The Weather Channel is getting bashed on Twitter because one of its reporters was caught reporting how the wind and gusts were “as harsh as ever. It’s hard to stand straight” while leaning back and forth. Meanwhile 2 people are clearly seen in the background behind him walking normally. The WC put out a statement that the reporter was on wet slippery grass and the other two were on concrete. Total bullshit of course given his words, proximity of all of the concrete around him and his actions. Pathetic fake news pervades everywhere these days... all in the hope for high ratings.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mt. Pleasant here, woke up around 0200 to a gust of wind but nothing major. Been drizzling here most of the morning, so far so good...

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the looting started yet?

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's sprinkling here. Sparse wind gusts at this point. It was worse yesterday.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Has the looting started yet?

I don't think those are the areas you want to loot. I heard an SC sheriff give a press conference and basically say if your caught looting game on.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post