SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Will Automation Kill Our Jobs?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Automation Kill Our Jobs? Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
It's not full automation, but the guys logging the property next to mine are using a big cutter on what looks like a trackhoe, and they cut a tree about every 15 seconds. I watched them clear about 2 acres yesterday, and it was unreal what those guys are capable of.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The work that I do these days, home renovation, will not be automated until some very sophisticated robots are available.

Interestingly, my industry is currently starved for good people. OMG is it hard to find motivated intelligent people to do a number of trades.

Cue Mike Rowe.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
It's not full automation, but the guys logging the property next to mine are using a big cutter on what looks like a trackhoe, and they cut a tree about every 15 seconds. I watched them clear about 2 acres yesterday, and it was unreal what those guys are capable of.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Its a race between how far the workforce degrades in capability and automation.

The issue will become that people who are less effective due to their attitude, will find it harder to find a job - same reason, I think, why the trades have such difficulty getting new workers. (While there's definitely a need for bright tradesmen, its a place where simple work ethic can lead to a decent paying career.)

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Everybody get your privates ready. We'll all be doing sex work, as that will probably be the last thing the 'droids do better than a talented human.
I dunno. Seems like the ‘droids could prolly be trained to take care of that *and* make you a sammich without any backtalk. You might even be out of luck there...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Townhall.com
Walter Williams
February 21, 2018

"In 1790, farmers were 90 percent of the U.S. labor force. By 1900, only about 41 percent of our workers were employed in agriculture. Today less than 3 percent of Americans are employed in agriculture."
I question the 3% number.

Directly engaged in agriculture, maybe. Indirectly, no way.

Besides the farmers, growers, and pickers, you have the processors, the canneries, the package- and container making companies, the recyclers, the railroad and trucking companies that haul it, the local delivery companies, the grocers and all their employees, the pesticide companies, the USDA, the food magazines and TV shows, and on and on.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post