SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Connecticut pastor intervenes as domestic violence suspect arrested at church
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connecticut pastor intervenes as domestic violence suspect arrested at church Login/Join 
posted
I have two words for this...person. But they're unprintable.

The link has videos of the incident.

https://www.policeone.com/patr...sted-at-Conn-church/

Video: Pastor intervenes as suspect arrested at Conn. church

A pastor arrived and blocked the police cruiser that a domestic violence suspect was in and demanded officers release him to her custody.

Jan 26, 2018

New Haven Register, Conn.

EAST HAVEN, Conn. — The East Haven Police Department was dispatched to a home after being notified by firefighters that they were at the scene of a serious domestic violence assault.

When police arrived, officers learned that a 59-year-old woman had been assaulted by her son, police said in a news release. The son, later identified as Ryan Champlin, 34, then fled the residence. The victim told officers that she got into an argument with her son because he does not pay to live with the family.. The victim advised officers that while she was being assaulted by her son, she attempted to call 911, but was unable to do so because Champlin pushed her to the ground, police said.

The victim said she was able to run into her bedroom and lock the door, but Champlin kicked the door open, grabbed the cordless phone from her and struck her in the back of the head with it several times, breaking the phone, police said. He then fled the residence.

After speaking with officers, the victim was takento the hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

After leaving the victim’s home, a search for Champlin began. While searching for Champlin, officers received a tip that the suspect had been dropped off at the Old Stone Church, 251 Main St., in East Haven. Officers spoke with church employees who were not sure if Champlin was inside, but invited them in to look for him, police said. As officers searched the church and attached day care facility, they found Champlin hiding in an upstairs office.

He was taken into custody without further incident, police said.

While on scene at the Old Stone Church, and with Champlin already in custody, a pastor arrived and blocked the police cruiser that Champlin was in and demanded officers release him to her custody. She advised officers they had no right to arrest him inside the church, even if it was for felony domestic violence charges, the release said.

Officers advised her Champlin was wanted for violent felony domestic violence charges and could not be released at that time. The pastor, who was extremely irate, proceeded to attempt to get in front of the police cruiser when an officer attempted to drive away with Champlin, but was stopped so by another officer on scene, the release said. During this, officers de-escalated the situation.

“While the East Haven Police Department respects the sanctity of a church, we also owe it to victims of domestic violence to apprehend suspects who commit violent felony assaults,” Lt. Joseph M. Murgo stated in the release. “Officers were also cognizant of the fact that children attending day care might have been exposed to a fleeing felony suspect within the interior of the church. We feel that the decision to enter the church was the correct one in this particular situation.”

Champlin was taken to the East Haven Police Department where he was charged with second-degree assault, interfering with an emergency call, disorderly conduct, and criminal mischief in the third degree. He is being held on a $25,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

©2018 the New Haven Register (New Haven, Conn.)

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh gee...

http://www.nhregister.com/metr...dispute-12529288.php

East Haven pastor involved in sanctuary dispute with police resigns

By Luther Turmelle
Updated 9:14 pm, Friday, January 26, 2018

EAST HAVEN — A pastor who confronted police earlier this week after they arrested a domestic violence suspect inside First Congregational Church has resigned.

The Rev. Care Goodstal Spinks’ resignation comes after she confronted East Haven officers Tuesday, when they arrested 34-year-old Ryan Champlin inside the church; Champlin had gone to the church after he assaulted his 59-year-old mother in a domestic dispute, according to police. Spinks demanded officers release Champlin to her custody and told officers they had no right to arrest him inside the church, footage from a body camera worn by an officer showed.

Church leaders announced Thursday evening via a Facebook post that “Rev. Care is no longer employed by the Old Stone Church.”

“We would like to thank Rev. Care Goodstal Spinks for her spiritual guidance prior to this week's happenings,” the post said in part. “We are deeply saddened by the events that unfolded at the Old Stone Church on Tuesday January 23. The behavior and language on video by the Intentional Interim Pastor, do not necessarily express the opinions of the wider congregation.”

The posting from the two church leaders thanks the police officers who arrested Champlin “for their calm yet swift actions on Tuesday.” The post also confirms that Champlin is a parishioner of the church.

Old Stone Church runs a day care, the Old Stone Playschool, in the same building as the church and the two leaders of the congregation leaders credit the arresting officers with “keeping in mind that school was in session, and the safety of students and staff was top priority.”

“We want to assure everyone, with confirmation from the teachers and directors, that at no time were the students or staff of our educational program in danger,” the church officials’ post says. “The incident happened during nap time and in the main office which is located at the opposite end of the building and not in the education wing. We would like to continue our good relationship with the police department and respect their position in the community.”

Spinks can be seen on the police video arguing with police that they had no right to arrest Champlin in the church building because it is a sanctuary.

Rabbi Herbert Brockman of Congregation Mishkan Israel in Hamden, who is among area religious leaders involved in an effort to provide sanctuary for undocumented immigrants being sought for deportation by federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement, called Spinks’ actions “totally inappropriate” on Friday and said he was relieved to hear that she had chosen to resign.

“When I first heard about what she did, I was really upset because this has nothing at all to do with what the sanctuary effort is about,” Brockman said. “We support the police and I’m concerned what happened in East Haven gives us a bad name. ”

Brockman said a prerequisite for individuals seeking sanctuary in one of the half-dozen New Haven-area churches that have agreed to host undocumented immigrants is that the individuals “must not have committed any felonies.”

“That is part of the agreement with ICE,” he said. “What this movement is about is protecting innocent people, not people who are guilty.”

Currently, two individuals remain in sanctuary in area houses of worship, Brockman said. As many as six individuals have been provided sanctuary at any one time, he said.

luther.turmelle@hearstmediact.com

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
/crosses off EAST HAVEN, Conn. as a place to visit.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
The officers wasted way too much time arguing with that dumb *****.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They should've released him into her home so she would be responsible for him. Then after she had her ass beat and robbed, she might learn some appreciation.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
She should have taken the ride too

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Reason 1 million I'm not a cop. Pretty sure " I wanted to give her plenty of time to talk to the perp" would not be a satisfactory answer as to why she got to wear bracelets in the back seat.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
While I might understand her motivation, I do have to say that she was indeed wrong.

As I understand the issue of sanctuary in a church, I seem to recall that the recipient of that sanctuary must specifically request it.

Since he apparently did not do so, the "pastor" had no basis for hindering the LEO effort.

or have they changed that sanctuary law?

In any case, the dirt bag is where he belongs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

...In any case, the dirt bag is where he belongs.

And the ***** is unemployed.

Although it would not surprise me if multiple churches in Kalifornia offer her a job.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
There is no sanctuary law. Do a google check if you don't believe me. In olde England, sanctuary laws granted a person 40 days refuge at which point they surrendered to be tried or took exile from the country. It went out the window in the 1500s unofficially when Edward IV pulled the Duke of Somerset and 20 of his men out of a church and beheaded them. It officially went away in the 1600s in England and the rest of Europe soon followed. Catholics had sanctuary law on the canon books until 1983 but it was not recognized, except in cases where the decision was made for political reasons versus legal reasons. In the 1960 and &early 70s, some churches tried to use "sanctuary" for draft dodgers and soldiers going AWOL. In the 1980s, churches used it again to house illegal immigrants from Central American countries (the ones with death squads).

While the cop in the video would have been legally justified in arresting pastor for obstruction, he took extra time to avoid having to do so.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Rev. Care Goodstal Spinks

Roll Eyes

Now there's a shocker.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:

^^^^^Yes, this!

What is this "sanctuary" bullshit? Did the woman think she was in a bad movie instead of reality? How could a rational person think a church is somewhere that the law does not apply?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
She advised officers they had no right to arrest him inside the church, even if it was for felony domestic violence charges, the release said.

It would be interesting to hear from our LEO members on this. I may well be wrong, but I don't think churches have any special protection in that regard.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Church leaders announced Thursday evening via a Facebook post that “Rev. Care is no longer employed by the Old Stone Church.”

“We would like to thank Rev. Care Goodstal Spinks for her spiritual guidance prior to this week's happenings,” the post said in part. “We are deeply saddened by the events that unfolded at the Old Stone Church on Tuesday January 23. The behavior and language on video by the Intentional Interim Pastor, do not necessarily express the opinions of the wider congregation.”

The posting from the two church leaders thanks the police officers who arrested Champlin “for their calm yet swift actions on Tuesday.” The post also confirms that Champlin is a parishioner of the church.

Old Stone Church runs a day care, the Old Stone Playschool, in the same building as the church and the two leaders of the congregation leaders credit the arresting officers with “keeping in mind that school was in session, and the safety of students and staff was top priority.”

“We want to assure everyone, with confirmation from the teachers and directors, that at no time were the students or staff of our educational program in danger,” the church officials’ post says. “The incident happened during nap time and in the main office which is located at the opposite end of the building and not in the education wing. We would like to continue our good relationship with the police department and respect their position in the community.”
Good for them.

As a Christian, I would expect the elder board of any church I attended to be making a similar announcement if a pastor ever behaved like their pastor did. If they didn't, I would be searching for a new church.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
^^^This. Obstruction is a crime and the pastor should have been hooked up and booked as well.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Clearly the pastor wasn't going to give up. Continuing to try and explain was pointless. The officer with the suspect should have been told to depart. As soon as he was gone the Lt. could have advised the good pastor that once a suspect is in custody they cannot be released, if she disagrees she can contact an attorney and pursue it that way, then handed her his card and departed.

It might have done him a better to do, or have dispatch do a quick look up on the law while enroute, so that he was better armed for that situation.

His patience with her was definitely notable. It's hard to deal with someone who is absolutely wrong and cannot come to grips with that.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant say exactly what took place since I was not there, But there was plenty of room in the patrol car for her holiness.
Need to de-escalate? Fine, I guess. But get a warrant for obstruction and arrest her later.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
"There is no sanctuary law. Do a google check if you don't believe me. In olde England, sanctuary laws granted a person 40 days refuge at which point they surrendered to be tried or took exile from the country. It went out the window in the 1500s unofficially when Edward IV pulled the Duke of Somerset and 20 of his men out of a church and beheaded them."

It worked for Quasimodo. I seen it in a movie show.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
She advised officers they had no right to arrest him inside the church, even if it was for felony domestic violence charges, the release said.

It would be interesting to hear from our LEO members on this. I may well be wrong, but I don't think churches have any special protection in that regard.

Legally, they are no different from any other building. I would have locked him up, and left her standing there squawking. If she interfered, she would get an all expenses paid trip to the clink as well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Consequences, there need to be some for people like that bitch. She should have been arrested for obstruction. Like everything else in this day and age until there are consequences people like her will not change. The only thing she learned from this was that next time she needs to try harder. Losing her job as pastor? She will find another at some wacko chruch somewhere. That isn't a consequence.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post