SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things that make you go "Hmmmmm"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm" Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Seems like going through my mom's house brings more questions than answers. I mean my dad was a Presbyterian, but wouldn't the UVF be a little extreme for them?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Hars to say, i dont know anyhting about them Big Grin

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Nice find on Saint Patrick's Day Cool

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LMBO You know, I totally didn't make that connection.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
There is a Wikipedia article on the UVF. It states that the Ideology was "Ulster loyalism, Irish unionism, Protestant fundamentalism, and Anti-Catholicism."

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a vague idea what the UVF was (Protestant paramilitary organization in N. Ireland)....but I'm really curious how Dad came to have this. It was in a ring box with a "Goldwater in 64" and "Willkie: Ring It Again" campaign pins. LOL

Also, a double stamped $1 bill.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There was also a UVF from the First World War era that was opposed to Home Rule. It would be interesting to find which era that pin is from.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The'60s UVF claimed a lineage to the WW1 UVF, to include using the logo/motto, but according to Wiki, the link was never proven. I can't imagine the 60s guys having lapel pins though.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I realize that this is perhaps a matter of perspective-- depending on whether one has strong Unionist or strong Republican leanings-- but the latter-day UVF were terrorists, plain and simple.

The "original" UVF was a product of Irish partition and the heated/violent debate leading up to it. The 1960s-1990s crowd co-opted the name and symbols.

The pin is almost certainly from the 1920s.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Allen...sometimes folks hang onto things that may be puzzling to their heirs...I've got a soviet paratroopers patch, paratrooper lapel insignia and two hammer and sickle hat insignia that a buddy obtained in Afghanistan and after his tour, gave me when he got home...I hang onto them because I think they are cool and a buddy gave them to me...

If my two daughters didn't know me so well and ran across them after I croak not knowing their story...they may think I'm a commie Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Allen...sometimes folks hang onto things that may be puzzling to their heirs...I've got a soviet paratroopers patch, paratrooper lapel insignia and two hammer and sickle hat insignia that a buddy obtained in Afghanistan and after his tour, gave me when he got home...I hang onto them because I think they are cool and a buddy gave them to me...

If my two daughters didn't know me so well and ran across them after I croak not knowing their story...they may think I'm a commie Big Grin

Agreed. When I was younger a had an Afrika Corps uniform patch and now have no idea where it went. Knowing how my mom was, it probably got thrown out while I was in school.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I have an Iron Cross, from WWI. I bought it in the FRG for 10 DM when I was a teen. My grandfather had a Depression-era good luck piece in his attic. It has a swami gazing into a crystal ball with a swastika. "Good luck will accompany the bearer". Someone could think that I like the Nazis. Nope, just two trinkets that are interesting because they are unusual (and from family).

Maybe a friend gave the pin to your father, or he bought it for the history. No need to delve into the nefarious.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post