SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For those with taller toilets, is the difference even noticeable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with taller toilets, is the difference even noticeable? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
The higher your knees are while doing your business the better. A taller toilet would seem to put you in a less optimal position.

This. The taller toilets may feel "more comfortable," but that comfort is wasted as you have to strain harder and take longer to incompletely do your business.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:
The higher your knees are while doing your business the better. A taller toilet would seem to put you in a less optimal position.

This. The taller toilets may feel "more comfortable," but that comfort is wasted as you have to strain harder and take longer to incompletely do your business.

Wouldn't bending forward while on the pot have the same effect as assuming the squat position?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:

Wouldn't bending forward while on the pot have the same effect as assuming the squat position?

It would likely make it worst as you'd now also compromising the assistance of gavity

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We replaced the toilet in the main bathroom with a tall version. I’m am 6’1” and my wife considerably shorter, but we both are very satisfied with it(I have some difficulty saying I “love” or we “enjoy” a toilet... Roll Eyes)

But we now need how to fit another unit in the small half bath I use primarily.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES, absolutely noticeable and a lot more comfortable. Now a regular toilet is very NOTICABLE to me. I switched both of my toilets to elongated bowl (also very noticeable) and comfort/tall height and will never switch back.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
6'1" and have comfort height in the master bath and hate it. I usually use the normal height in the second bath.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The taller toilet makes a huge difference. I have installed a couple in my home. The hardest part is finding a comfortable toilet seat to go with them.

The Koehler French Curve is the best seat in the house.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1088 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Installed the fancy tall toilet today and now the supply line is too short. Guess I’ll have to see if any stores are open tomorrow. It’s the crimped Accor push pull valve so I’ll have to completely replace it.

The seat isn’t the most comfortable but I think I can live with the height. It’s the Cadet 3.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
6’2” give or take here... and like most have said, it’s well worth it. Big big difference.

It’s especially appreciated 24-48 hours after a solid leg workout.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6365 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, so maybe I’m Middle aged ...bite me.

But YES!

Posts: 40 | Registered: August 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Yes!!!!
When you get on the far side of life, you will really appreciate the additional height.

This....

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have to chime in for a +1 on the tall toilet. Love ours, much more comfortable.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
As member pessimist noted: Unless you have knee problems, a taller toilet may not be such a good idea. There is some evidence to suggest even "standard" height toilets may not be healthy for us: For Best Toilet Health: Squat or Sit?

Actually was going to make a similar statement. We should all be squatting over a hole in the ground. It's more natural.

Having said that, I think I'll keep my crapper.

ETA: Just ordered the Squatty Crapper doo hickey.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My Mom's house has one, absolutely hate it!!!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Tall is the only way to go.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
It is to me! Those of us who are “height challenged”, I’m 5’6”, can have problems because the higher seats cut off the circulation to the legs. When I have to sit, I must use my tip-toes to prevent my legs from going to sleep. No problem for the quick “dump and run” but if I’m in for the long haul, they can be problematic.

I sympathize, we are staying with friends in Key West that have upgraded their house to the new toilets. Wrong poop angle! From European stock the old height was just right. Later in the week we move to Key Largo where the Holliday Inn seating is also just right - I hope I can wait that long! Anatomically speaking a squat position is the correct position for complete evacuation...

Posts: 916 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't much care about throne height, although the lower ones certainly do facilitate evacuation.

More important to me is the elongated bowl. I do not care to have my junk touching the front of the bowl, and it happens with those circular ones. I'm a tall fella and it has nothing to do with my endowment...or lack thereof.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tall ones are much more comfortable. I have replaced all of mine.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k:
I got an American Standard Cadet that you could flush a towel down.

I bought two of them about five years ago.

1. Tall and elongated is an awesome improvement.
2. I told the salesman at Lowe's that I wanted something that would flush a damn meatloaf. I believe they will.
3. The geniuses who designed the packaging put the tank lid UNDER the tank in the box. Both were broken (Imagine that?).
4. The quality of the tank parts (flush valves, flappers) is JUNK. Already replaced one of the flush valves, both of the tank flappers and the other flush valve is acting like it's on borrowed time.
5. "American Standard" is actually "Central American Standard". Made in Mexico. The replacement lids took SIX WEEKS to ship.

Next time, Kohler. Period.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Tall, elongated with an electronic bidet installed, and a squatty-potty foot stand.

I can't barely stand to use anything else, and my health has actually improved.

Electronic bidet has a heated seat, which you don't think you need until you've tried it. Warm water spraying on your bum cuts the toilet paper by 2/3'rds, which even with the softest paper has made a huge difference on the soft tissue area. For those of us related to Sasquatch from Norwegian descent...water and a blow dryer for the bum is an amazing change in lifestyle. The old adage of *hit, *have & *hower is now possible in any order. Even with an obsessive grooming (weed trimming) regime, washing your backside with water just makes sense. Far better than wet wipes, and better for the plumbing system also.

I'm ruined from using another bathroom now, and thinking about setting my parents up with one at their house just for when I visit. It's life changing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post