SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trail Camera purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Camera purchase Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Looking for some Christmas gift ideas and a trail cam is on the list.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 4626 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After using numerous brands, most more expensive, my brother and I have been having very good luck with the Browning brand. They've had excellent battery life and functionality in cold northern Minnesota temps.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Browning recommendation.

A close second and my "bang for the buck" recommendation is a Primos Proof cam. You can find the Gen 02 for sometimes as low as $40 and they take amazingly clear video. Especially night ones. Battery life is upwards of a year on them too.

Now if you want to get something really neat. Get them a Spypoint Micro. It's a trail camera that will send pics to their cell phone. Spypoint offers 100 free pictures a month with their cameras. If you want more you can pay for higher plans. I have 2 of these and am hopefully getting a 3rd for my birthday this month. If you look around you can find them for about $100 on sale, and $150 regular.

Let me know if you want more info on any of these particularly the spypoint. I've got a few people turned on to them and all of them love them. They have a great promo program where if you refer someone you both get $50 off another camera.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience with SPYPOINT is different. I bought two this season, both stopped operating 15-45 days in due to firmware update That required manual update. Lost a lot a bear season as result, one then got dangerously hot to touch. Customer service is awful, expect an hour wait. I returned the one that was under 30 days old and the other has been put on security duty

West German Flavors
P230, P220, P226

Posts: 218 | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I bought my first one a couple of months ago. A Browning-brand Recon Force Edge. It's made in Thailand. I think that's good, Thailand produces most Nikon optics. So far so good. It has lots of settings, and I am amazed at the battery life. It takes 8 alkaline AA and I'm approaching 500 pictures, all with IR flash, and I'm still at 83% battery life.

There is a thread I started in the The Gallery:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...6031561/m/9890055574

Specs:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022563215/

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what your price objective is but a lot of the hunting shows use these and the footage looks excellent.

https://www.tactacam.com/products/#cameras

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post