SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My recommendation for a good rechargeable flashlight
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My recommendation for a good rechargeable flashlight Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Only 250 lumen... that's a pass.

Once you get used to 800-1000 lumen, there's no going back.

For normal people who aren't obsessed with lumens, there is something called "too bright." This isn't a weapon light or "defensive flashlight," it's general use.

If you're just trying to see in the dark, this is perfect, particularly for its size. You can have it on your person no matter what you're wearing.

Mostly what I use it for is construction examination, in very dark areas, too much concentrated light washes out what you're trying to see.

This is the light I'd been using daily, I wanted to get away from the batteries, and don't need the strobe function. But this is also a very compact, usefully bright light:

ProTac 1L

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:

For normal people who aren't obsessed with lumens, there is something called "too bright." This isn't a weapon light or "defensive flashlight," it's general use.

If you're just trying to see in the dark, this is perfect, particularly for its size. You can have it on your person no matter what you're wearing.

Mostly what I use it for is construction examination, in very dark areas, too much concentrated light washes out what you're trying to see.

This is the light I'd been using daily, I wanted to get away from the batteries, and don't need the strobe function. But this is also a very compact, usefully bright light:

ProTac 1L

So I guess I'm not normal.

However, I carry a 1020 lumen, rechargeable clipped in my pocket all the time. Not as a weapon light, but as a flashlight to see in the dark and into dark areas.
It's used several times daily for work, recreation and just in general every day activities.
Has a simple, press to change 3 level output, as most lights these days. 99% of the time its on in the 500 or 1020 setting.

Rechargeable is a must and you will find yourself using the light more often.
The strobe function isn't easily accessed on my edc, as I don't use it.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BLB1DN/

I found this, great size, usb rechargeable, not too bright.

You like, you buy.

In my pocket everyday. Has replaced my much loved 2 AAA versions. (though I still use them often)

Posts: 21031 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Along the same lines, this is a great one as well. The Nebo slyde king. 500 Lumens, rechargeable with usb port, has a slide out work/shop light with red/blinking/red or white light and a flashlight, and has a magnet on the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Li...69119579&s=hi&sr=1-5

More expensive, and more than twice the size.

Guys, the flashlight I'm recommending is excellent. Stop suggesting trash. Just either go buy it, or move along.

Which is precisely why I recommended it. In case someone on the forum was looking for a slightly larger usb rechargeable flashlight to keep in their vehicle (not EDC pocket and not to compete with what you posted). The Slyde king is not TRASH, it is a quality light, it has a strong aluminum body and water resistant, drop resistant and good warranty. I've used them for several years and have 4 of them, I use them 3x a week on average, for several hours at a time and they are all still working perfectly, as they have completely replaced a corded shop light in my business. The battery lasts 4-5 hours, they are 500 lumens (2x as bright), will still fit in your pocket, the flashlight has 4x zoom (adjustable beam), the shop light feature is awesome, the red light feature is awesome if you want dim light without killing your night vision, and it has a magnet on the end so it stays put if you stick on the hood or elsewhere on your car (or anything steel) to work on it. It's $37 and a deal at that (I get them wholesale for $32). They have a 4.5 star review on Amazon. They did have a batch where the battery contacts got delivered slightly corroded and the battery had to be taken out and contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser once then GTG, but aside from that issue, they all have been perfect.

I'm really not sure why you singled me out, versus the guy who posted a Fenix which is comparable to what you posted and twice the money. Or so defensive about a flashlight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

However, I carry a 1020 lumen, rechargeable clipped in my pocket all the time. Not as a weapon light, but as a flashlight to see in the dark and into dark areas.
It's used several times daily for work, recreation and just in general every day activities.
Has a simple, press to change 3 level output, as most lights these days. 99% of the time its on in the 500 or 1020 setting.

1000 lumens is how much each of the floodlight bulbs in my back yard put out. Good for area illumination, if it's a wide beam. But that's a lot of light for a task/inspection flashlight. Too bright and it washes out what you're trying to look at. I wouldn't mind 1000+ for a normal sized flashlight, and looking around in the woods at night.

Generally where I use it is in attics, basements, and crawlspaces, but also I don't need a lot of light when I do find myself needing a flashlight, and also, too much light can mess with eye adjustment when going from lighted or sunlight spaces into darkness.

I'll probably pick up something 1000 lumeny to replace my old 4 and 6 D cell maglites.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Along the same lines, this is a great one as well. The Nebo slyde king. 500 Lumens, rechargeable with usb port, has a slide out work/shop light with red/blinking/red or white light and a flashlight, and has a magnet on the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Li...69119579&s=hi&sr=1-5

More expensive, and more than twice the size.

Guys, the flashlight I'm recommending is excellent. Stop suggesting trash. Just either go buy it, or move along.

Which is precisely why I recommended it. In case someone on the forum was looking for a slightly larger usb rechargeable flashlight to keep in their vehicle (not EDC pocket and not to compete with what you posted). The Slyde king is not TRASH, it is a quality light, it has a strong aluminum body and water resistant, drop resistant and good warranty. I've used them for several years and have 4 of them, I use them 3x a week on average, for several hours at a time and they are all still working perfectly, as they have completely replaced a corded shop light in my business. The battery lasts 4-5 hours, they are 500 lumens (2x as bright), will still fit in your pocket, the flashlight has 4x zoom (adjustable beam), the shop light feature is awesome, the red light feature is awesome if you want dim light without killing your night vision, and it has a magnet on the end so it stays put if you stick on the hood or elsewhere on your car (or anything steel) to work on it. It's $37 and a deal at that (I get them wholesale for $32). They have a 4.5 star review on Amazon. They did have a batch where the battery contacts got delivered slightly corroded and the battery had to be taken out and contacts cleaned with a pencil eraser once then GTG, but aside from that issue, they all have been perfect.

I'm really not sure why you singled me out, versus the guy who posted a Fenix which is comparable to what you posted and twice the money.

[ThreadDrift]

Dude, as the guy that made the mistake of suggesting the Fenix, we need to stop this thread drift. ARC has pretty much said the same thing, but in a more polite way. I am not polite, so lets get back on ARC's topic. His Streamlight find.

ARC needs no one to come to his defense, he is perfectly capable of defending himself and running this board. But in the hope of regaining my own respectability, lets stop ruining his thread.

[/ThreadDrift]

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Lumens is a fallacy and every good flashaholic knows it. Lumens does not translate into useable light since it only measures how much total light a source puts out.

The consumer knows no better and so manufacturers cater to that mentality by pushing the lumen number in a market that's hard to be in when everything is all about lumens.

Don't get hung up on lumens as the answer.

Also, manufacturers worked the industry over to the point that all a flashlight needs to put out is the starting high lumens but if you look at a run chart, it steps down fairly quickly to a reduced lumen for a longer period of regulated time until it tapers off or dies. 1000 lumens for 1 minutes and 600 after isn't all that impressive but the unwise think they've got a piece of the sun in their hands.

If you want true lumens AND honest runtimes, look at Malkoff. Gene doesn't play the numbers game which is why truly serious people look hard at his stuff. His stuff is unbreakable and weapon tested.

Posts: 4059 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Been meaning to snag one.

I wish it had the option to pop in a AAA battery in a pinch.
I have only seen ones that use those CR123s.

I have a similar Olight that uses AAA's. It's really nice. https://www.olightstore.com/i3t-eos-desert-tan.html

There's also a keychain version with a twist on switch instead of a push button. https://www.olightstore.com/al...s/i3e-eos-black.html

If you sign up for their newsletter and wait for a big sale, they'll usually give one or the other away for the cost of shipping.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Fantastic EDC light.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7615 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As far as lumens being "not real," light is a pretty complex thing. I'd say lumens is just a rough idea of how a light will perform. There are so many variables.

Arc.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as lumens being "not real," light is a pretty complex thing. I'd say lumens is just a rough idea of how a light will perform. There are so many variables.

Extremely rough.

I'd much rather have 500 lumens of solid run time using a perfect reflector than 1000 without one. Honestly, lumens only tells you how much much light a source puts out but it says nothing about how the light is captured and put to use. For example:

A GE 60 watt light uses a 9 watt LED and puts out 800 lumens. It's fantastic for a room because the light goes 360 degrees and fills the entire room. Take that same bulb outside and it's virtually worthless. 250 lumens using a proper reflector is more useful.

Lumens tells nothing other than raw horsepower.

Malkoff is a great light without the lumens game.

Posts: 4059 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Thnks Arc for posting this. We are in need of a couple of "everyday" use flashlights and these fit the bill. Your input is appreciated.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Here it is next to a AA Mini Maglite.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
Funny how Maglight is like a model T these days in terms of performance.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It'll stay kicking around the house. I gave it to my 5 year old.

I'm keeping the 6 D cell maglite in service though. I got some rechargeable lithium D cells for it. Less because of its lumens, but because it's a good club.

Arc.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
1 is none..... Cool
One of these days I'll tally up what this forum has cost me. One and only con so far is I wished the shaft that slid over the charging port was threaded or had some other way to lock shut. Right now it just uses the friction from the o-ring but that will probably prove to be enough. I'm happy with my purchase.

Posts: 10817 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Thanks arc! Recieved mine today. Incredible little light!

Very compact and lightweight. Tail cap pressure switch can be used with either light pressure for momentary, or clicked on permanently.

Max lumens aside, all I can say is for 250, this little monster is a great. Focused on what I need to see, it illuminates without washing out details. But light 'er up and shine it towards me? Man, I don't know how they focused that bulb, but it packs a punch.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here it is next to a AA Mini Maglite.

Dang, that thing is TINY! I’ve been carrying an 80 lumen task light that runs on two triple As and has been fine, but smaller with just over three times the raw horsepower might just be a winner. Thanks much for starting this thread!

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Focused on what I need to see, it illuminates without washing out details. But light 'er up and shine it towards me? Man, I don't know how they focused that bulb, but it packs a punch.

Some sort of sorcery. I do loke how it doesnt overwhelm.

Arc.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

ProTac 1L

I have a couple Cabela's branded 1000 lumen rechargeable flashlights,

they are relatively small, work great, and are bright, very bright,

great to have when the lights go out, etc etc,

but honestly too bright for some things,

I like the idea, and use, a smaller light for some things,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post