SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    anyone else sewing up medical masks?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone else sewing up medical masks? Login/Join 
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Some are making them here with a opening on one side between the layers of material and they are cutting heppa air conditioning filters to make inserts to increase the ability to filter the virus. Remove it and throw the filter away and wash the mask in hot soapy water and reuse with a new filter the next day

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My older brother has been making masks non stop for over a week now for the local hospital and nursing homes.

His has the extra filter pocket.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Question:
Aren’t face masks to prevent the wearer from infecting others and not protect the wearer?

Masks are worn in surgery to decrease the possibility of infecting the patient.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I just shipped 2,200 N95 and 2,400 surgical masks from my Taichung lock manufacturing plant to my MD daughter in SoCal; she's one of Kaiser's Chiefs and desperately need masks.

What is a "Taichung lock"?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My wife and coworkers have been using the handmade masks to cover their n95 masks. The handmade masks are laundered daily. The goal is to make the n95 last longer.

The double mask, glasses, shields, googles, etc. are to prevent droplets from entering the care providers nose, mouth and lungs.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A neighbor is making masks.

I ordered HEPA vacuum bags to be cut up as filters and got elastic in the hair band section at Walmart so she can do more masks while waiting for her elastic order delivery.

The HEPA filter bags will stop the virus due to the small filtration holes, it just does not have static cling.

Much better than nothing.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
I just shipped 2,200 N95 and 2,400 surgical masks from my Taichung lock manufacturing plant to my MD daughter in SoCal; she's one of Kaiser's Chiefs and desperately need masks.

My guess is that it is a lock factory in Taichung. Taichung, officially known as Taichung City, is a municipality in Taewan.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's instructions on how to make a mask at home:

quote:
Coronavirus face mask - do it yourself
Doctor explains how to make the safest face mask to prevent infection.

http://www.israelnationalnews....ews/News.aspx/278161

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

My guess is that it is a lock factory in Taichung. Taichung, officially known as Taichung City, is a municipality in Taewan.

Yep, exactly. Taichung Taiwan

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My wife's quilting group is sewing masks with excess quilt material, three layers. They'll go to nursing homes staff and patients.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
My wife is also making masks

1/4 inch elastic hard to find (quickly)

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife started one of the mask kits from JoAnn Fabrics. They have also run out of elastic, but there’s a swimsuit material that’s pretty stretchy and works in a pinch.

We have a family friend doing radiological work in nursing homes in middle Ga. Reports back that the view is very grim.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your effort with face masks. I really feel there is a need for education about masks.
N95 is the level of protection that medical professional's need. An N95 mask needs to be airtight and fit the face well. A fit test should be performed to ensure no penetration of particulate aerosol detected by the wearer. Big problem with N95's- a lot of nurses and female doc's are petit-they need small N95's.
My one (1) N95 that was issued last week is stored in a PAPER bag to prevent bacterial growth.
This is our reality. I would rather have a Hazmat suit with a sealed O2 tank. The Health profession made it thru AIDS. We will make it thru Covid.
Open the link-it goes thru the levels of masks.

https://www.crosstex.com/sites...nd20use20-202017.pdf

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I am far from an expert on healthcare but from what I have heard from the professionals on TV is that the average mask on the street is just a small step above nothing but if it keeps you from touching your face then that is a good thing.

I just saw an article about some gal making masks for the hearing impaired. The mouth was left open for lip reading I guess. I don't get that one either??

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just saw an article about some gal making masks for the hearing impaired. The mouth was left open for lip reading I guess. I don't get that one either??

The mouth wasn't open, it has a clear plastic/vinyl over the mouth.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried using HEPA filters from vacuum cleaner bags? Just curious.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
OAN's Graham Ledger reported last night that #44 sent our nations stock pile of N95 masks to Africa during the ebola outbreak. The supply was never replenished.

If accurate, therein lies much of the countries supply problem.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
My wife as well (she's a pretty accomplished quilter). Hers have a pocket for a HEPA filter and are washable. I'm using over an N95, and she's sending a couple of dozen to our daughter and her nursing staff in another state. They're not replacements, but cover and protect the N95, and can be washed and reused (which the N95 cannot).

Fashionable, too.... Smile

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of a friend of mine that he sent me. He is quite the jokester. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post