SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Army weapons stolen from Germany post arms room
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army weapons stolen from Germany post arms room Login/Join 
posted
The link as a photo of the CID $25K reward notice. The theft took place in July 2016, I do not recall reading about it until now.

https://www.stripes.com/news/a...t-arms-room-1.509079

Army offering $25K reward in search for weapons stolen from Stuttgart arms room

By JOHN VANDIVER | STARS AND STRIPES
Published: January 30, 2018

STUTTGART, Germany — The search continues for information on a small-arms weapons heist from a base here in 2016, military officials said.

Several semi-automatic pistols, one small-caliber automatic rifle and a shotgun were among the items taken in July 2016 from a weapons area at the U.S. Army’s Panzer Kaserne in Boeblingen, a Stuttgart suburb.

In a sign that investigators could be struggling for leads, the military last year increased the reward from $10,000 to $25,000 for information that leads to a successful prosecution.

“The case remains open and ongoing,” Christopher Grey, a U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command spokesman, said Friday.

The Army hasn’t listed all of the items stolen, identified the unit targeted or the post where the theft occurred, citing the active investigation. However, at the time of the incident a military official told Stars and Stripes that the theft occurred at Panzer, which also is home to elite units like Army Green Berets and Navy SEALs, as well as the garrison’s headquarters.

The Army hasn’t said whether the burglary appears to be an inside job by military personnel or whether an outsider breached the base. Investigators are also mum on whether reward fliers posted around the Stuttgart military community have generated leads.

“As a matter of policy, we do not discuss tips that we receive when investigating a felony crime,” Grey said.

Anyone with information regarding this case is encouraged to contact Criminal Investigation Command headquarters in Virginia at (844) 276-9243, or the local military police at DSN (314) 430-5262.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Inside job, no doubt.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
The Army hasn’t said whether the burglary appears to be an inside job by military personnel or whether an outsider breached the base. Investigators are also mum on whether reward fliers posted around the Stuttgart military community have generated leads.

Definitely an inside job by someone with working knowledge of arms room protocol. There is very limited access to most of the one's I have been around with only a few folks knowing the security codes which I wouldn't imagine are easy to crack. There were always backup fail safes such as physical locks on gun cages once the doors were even opened, so someone had not only a code, but also the keys which are normally carried by someone with command authority. While security is lax in most bases over in Germany, most of these arms rooms are done up like Fort Knox and most soldiers would notice if someone from outside of their unit were wandering the hallways (at least I hope that these guys haven't gotten that complacent yet)!

While I was stationed in Germany, there was an entire Engineer Battalion that was busted trafficking Ecstacy. If memory serves me correctly, the battalion commander was an 0-6 Colonel and he was the one that basically set it all up. Just because folks are in the military, doesn't mean they're incapable of doing something illegal.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
No question that this was an inside job.

One of my duties when stationed in Germany was Arms Room NCO. They security was EXTREMELY well done. Long guns were locked in racks as were pistols. Even the small bore guns (for marksmanship competitions) were locked up.

Locked steel bar door at the entrance, on top of the "regular" door which was double locked.

4 people got into the arms room. The armorer, me, first sgt and company commander.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Army Green Berets

"Green Berets"? So obvious...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine the fun those soldiers in that unit are having right now

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

The world just stopped

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lol. "Alright piglets listen up and get on line. You're on my time now". Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This happened over 18 months ago and they still haven't the faintest clue?

Suggests to me something is seriously awry with their security protocols.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:

Lol. "Alright piglets listen up and get on line. You're on my time now". Smile

More like they aren’t allowed to go anywhere or do shit. Probably working until damn near bed time too.
We were recalled at 4 am on a Saturday morning and post locked down over a missing 9mm round and pair of night vision goggles

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Seriously no video footage in this day and age? If they had it and it was disabled or "malfunctioning", well...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Seriously no video footage in this day and age? If they had it and it was disabled or "malfunctioning", well...

I seriously doubt they have cameras

posted Hide Post
I've been following this theft and attempted, via FOIA since year of occurrence (2016). Enlisted my FL congressman and just recently, refered to this form by one hellofa (good guy) aid to the Rep (thank you Rob).

The FOI requests have been declined using the 'ongoing investigation' to a straight forward request of a list of firearms stolen.

In the SandS article dated 30jan2018 by John Vandiver, "Army hasn’t listed all of the items stolen" tells me a butt load more weapons "and other government property" were stolen.

Annoys the crap out of me that the list of items is deemed investigation sensitive.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: September 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Inside job, no doubt.

... and the stolen weapons are long gone by now.
They've been sold on the black market.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Arms security isn’t always what we might assume.

One case I was involved with in Germany was the theft of three M60 machine guns from a small base near the Czech border. They had been left mounted on M113s without so much as a fire guard outside to watch the area and they disappeared overnight. Although it happened in 1982, it was still long after the armed forces had mandated what were supposed to be extremely tight arms security measures.

It was first logically assumed that it was an inside job even though it would have been difficult for any unit members to have pulled it off. On the other hand it was in a fenced-in compound and anyone climbing over the fence would have been very vulnerable to discovery at any time, so that didn’t seem too likely either. Extensive investigation by CID and the German police failed to solve the theft until several years later a German informant provided information leading to the guns’ recovery. It had indeed been some Germans who climbed over the fence, removed them from the vehicles, and then escaped back over the fence.

The strangest things can happen.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I go back to my time as a LT arms room officer in charge of an artillery battery arms room (extra duty) in the late 70s. Two huge locks on the steel bar door leading to the big steel door. More big locks. Had to notify DivArty we were opening or alarms go off up there (intrusion detection system). All rifles and machine guns in racks with locked steel bars across them with (back then) series-200 locks. Lots of keys, all in a safe in the commander's office.

IIRC, we also had 2-person rule in effect.

Security under the auspices of AR 190-11 and other post/local/unit regulations and/or supplements.

So yes, I believe there had to be an inside aspect to this theft.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like somebody needs a Ring doorbell.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^LOL^^^ Back in the 70's in Europe you could sell your M16 for $500 and report simply it lost. Mercs were buying them up to take to Angola. The Army soon put a fine of $500 for anyone who "lost" one and the losses stopped right away.

Wonder what today's street price would be?

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Back in the 70's in Europe you could sell your M16 for $500 and report simply it lost.

That is one of the most bizarre claims I have ever seen on this forum.

I was in Germany in the 1970s as a member of an organization that was involved in investigating reports of lost or unaccounted for weapons, and I never heard of such a thing. What I did hear of was entire battalions’ suspending training and walking for miles shoulder to shoulder through fields and along muddy and dusty tank trails in an attempt to find a 1911 that some unfortunate lieutenant had dropped on a night movement. Even legitimately losing a weapon was so serious that I knew at least one junior officer who carried a dummy pistol and kept his real one secured and hidden away during exercises so there was no way he could lose it.

As for fines for lost weapons, they didn’t start in Europe in the 1970s. A member of my unit in Vietnam was charged with the common military offense of “suffering the loss of government property through neglect” when his revolver was stolen from his room during a liaison party attended by members of other units.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CRAIGSLIST-
WTS-

I have a few slightly used M-4's... Errrrr, uuuhhhh, I mean Civilian AR-15's for sale.
Minor grind marks, They're really more like scratches on the sides of the mag well. You really won't notice them at all.

I built these to resemble the military version. Some even have a grenade launcher attached. All come with an ACOG TAO1NSN.

Get them while you can, Colt is stopping the sales to anyone below the rank of Private, I mean, selling to private individuals. I think these are going to be HOT sellers.

$500 a piece
$650 for the M203

Contact Corporal Pete Smuckatelli

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post