SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone from the forum work for Chipotle? (update page 4 and 5) to add....GOT IT!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone from the forum work for Chipotle? (update page 4 and 5) to add....GOT IT! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
So what option are you choosing? But congratulations on having 2 to choose from. I chose the unsafe career route myself early on and am in the top 5% income-wise compared to everyone I graduated high school with. But, choices are different if you have a family.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thought I would give a more detailed update. Thanks to those who have sent me words of encouragement - both via this thread and PM's.

OPTION ONE
It is a senior level role that pays quite well. It is also going to be a LOT of work and quite stressful at times. Lots of time away from family and not always dealing with the most professional of managers until I churn most of the team. (About a 2 year project).

In the past two years this region has seen 2 external and 1 internal Region Manager attempt, make progress, and ultimately leave the company out of frustration.

This is one of the most challenged regions in the company, and I have the opportunity to be a corporate hero in a short amount of time.

The biggest plus is they will offer a car, salary, and bonus structure that will exceed $100k and I will be assured of employment stability over the next decade.

OPTION TWO

Small business owner who purchased a bakery/coffee house after the original owners died. It is a community landmark and Owner recently opened a second site. Owner has ZERO idea of how to run a foods business (Owner has a real estate background) and wants to hire me as a Regional Manager to bring stability and consistency to Owner's sites.

Owner had the opportunity to put a kiosk in the new Vikings stadium and have a booth at the MN State Fair. Owner had to decline both opportunities because they did not have the infrastructure and leadership in place to manage the projects.

Owner's business has the local name recognition that both the Stadium and Fair would have been very successful, and we may look at them again next year. Owner is looking to buy out another production-operation that would be able to support the business the concepts would bring.

The business is profitable, and could be much more be so by introducing systems that would cost little money to implement.

This is my literal dream-job, there is not one job in my background that I will not be able to put to use in this job. The downside is that if Owner decides to give up the ship at some point in the future...well doom on me. After I stabilize operations at both sites, Owner is hoping to at 4-6 additional sites.

Money at Plan B will not equal what Plan A will offer, but the long term opportunity, satisfaction, and future has me gravitating towards Plan B.

It's not very often you get a shot at your "Dream Job"; some folks never even get the opportunity to try.

My wife as been incredibly supportive, and hopes I choose Plan B. I am meeting with Owner on Monday to negotiate salary, and if it all works out, I will choose B.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Money isn't everything.

Years ago I left a job and field I was successful in because I realized I didn't have any time for myself. Half of the year I would work 6 sometimes 7 days a week. 10 hour days at those time where the easy ones.

Now I have free time to enjoy the things I enjoy.

I know my example is a little different than yours but there is something to be said for being happy.

Anyway, it's always good to have options you seem to be doing fine. Best of luck to whatever you choose. Doesn't seem like there is a wrong answer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Get'em brother! Congratulations.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife as been incredibly supportive, and hopes I choose Plan B. I am meeting with Owner on Monday to negotiate salary, and if it all works out, I will choose B.

I could give you a little more advice if I knew your age, health status, family, and overall goals for your life.

I suspect that if your wife is supportive, she knows you well and B is probably the best for you. Again, this is an area I know something about and could help if provide a few more details.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My dad advised to "do every job the way you would want it done if you owned the company, and eventually, you will."

If Mr. RE Guy decides to pull the plug, maybe he will make you an offer you can't refuse.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Like JAllen said, maybe Option B will result in you buying the business in 10 years.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Job A sounds mostly stressful. Job B sounds like stressful, but also possibly quite exiting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Good luck ronin on whichever you choose

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Question:

I forgot to mention this earlier. Any of you guys ever hear of something called Checkster? Option A required that I provided e-mails of 2 former supervisors and 4 former peers.

The company would then send a survey (via Checkster) to my references asking for info on me. The data would then be sent back to the company without specific names tied to it.

I have to say, it seems like a lazy HR practice and I am glad that I keep in touch with my former bosses. However, knowing that both work for companies with strict "neutral reference" policies, it was somewhat awkward reaching out to them and not only asking for a reference, but an online reference that they had to fil out.

Is this the new practice?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Question:

I forgot to mention this earlier. Any of you guys ever hear of something called Checkster? Option A required that I provided e-mails of 2 former supervisors and 4 former peers.

The company would then send a survey (via Checkster) to my references asking for info on me. The data would then be sent back to the company without specific names tied to it.

I have to say, it seems like a lazy HR practice and I am glad that I keep in touch with my former bosses. However, knowing that both work for companies with strict "neutral reference" policies, it was somewhat awkward reaching out to them and not only asking for a reference, but an online reference that they had to fil out.

Is this the new practice?
I was a manager for a software development department at a huge company. One of my best guys had to relocate for family medical reasons. Huge loss to me but I understood.

The company's policy on reference requests was to confirm that the person worked there. Nothing more, nothing less.

I broke the rule and gave the guy a glowing reference. Fortunately it did not come back to bite me in the ass.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Option B it is -

After a summer of being unemployed, today I formally accepted the role of Director of Operations for my "dream job" within the foods industry.

I had another opportunity that would have potentially paid a higher base, but the long term opportunities made this a no-brainer. Thanks to all for the support, emails, and notes. Not everyone gets a chance to work at their "dream job", much less be told by the owner, "here are the keys, go forth and prosper".

To add -

My learning throughout this process?

The cover letter is significantly more important than the resume itself. The cover letter is what gets you through the gate keep and in front of a live decision maker.

I want to make a special point of thanking Dusty78, what you did for me was above and beyond. The assistance you provided on the Chipotle interview was the template I put together that really wow'd the ownership group for this new gig. I am in your debt.

Ronin1069

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
A HUGE congratulations John!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new position.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Best wishes and best of luck with this opportunity.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Option B it is -

After a summer of being unemployed, today I formally accepted the role of Director of Operations for my "dream job" within the foods industry.

I had another opportunity that would have potentially paid a higher base, but the long term opportunities made this a no-brainer. Thanks to all for the support, emails, and notes. Not everyone gets a chance to work at their "dream job", much less be told by the owner, "here are the keys, go forth and prosper".

To add -

My learning throughout this process?

The cover letter is significantly more important than the resume itself. The cover letter is what gets you through the gate keep and in front of a live decision maker.

I want to make a special point of thanking Dusty78, what you did for me was above and beyond. The assistance you provided on the Chipotle interview was the template I put together that really wow'd the ownership group for this new gig. I am in your debt.

Ronin1069

Congrats! Happy to see you back in it.

Could be the position/profession but ive had mixed results in regards to cover letters and plenty of people not even submitting coverletters anymore and getting interviews.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
congratulations to a new road ahead of you!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That's great news - Congratulations!

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post