SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A smash burger resource thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A smash burger resource thread Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Smash Burgers 101 - An introduction (I like better cheese, though):
https://youtu.be/K7tTcBcjI0c

Smash Burgers 251 - How Tom Ryan, SmashBurger restaurant chain founder, makes smash burgers. (Note: at 1’ 20” Ryan says that their spatulas are sharpened every day.)
https://youtu.be/8E__VJM_AUw

Blackstone smash burger press. Pricey at $30, but it’s a robust SS utensil (see 2nd photo) similar to the one seen in the Tom Ryan video immediately above.
Weight: 18 oz
Depth: 0.363” (sets patty thickness)
Outside diameter: 6-3/16”
Not strictly necessary (you could use a large stiff spatula instead), but it makes patties with consistent thickness and flat, parallel surfaces. And forces the patty hard against the cooking surface for a consistently crusty patty. Like Ryan, I put a sheet of parchment paper over the ball of ground beef before smashing it.
www.blackstoneproducts.com/pro...ss-sear-burger-tool/

Cooking utensil: your choice. My choice is a 10” round iron cooktop griddle. Its low rim makes it easy to get my sharpened spatula under the patty at a shallow angle to keep the crusty bits on the burger. And plenty of space to toast both halves of a small smash burger size bun in the drippings.

Beef: 22% fat. A 5 oz patty is just right.

Buns: A smallish bun that doesn’t overwhelm the 5 oz patty. Shake Shack uses Martin’s Potato buns for their smash burgers, but those aren’t available in my area, and Oroweat Potato buns are huge, so I use the Ballpark burger buns.

Some smash burger tips.
(Some right, some wrong, IMO.)
https://onthegas.org/tools-gadgets/smashburger+tool

Enjoy!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8844 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
try a kings hawaiian burger bun.

Posts: 8143 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I never mastered the thick and juicy style...this looks easier!

I do love a classic, simple, thin patty double cheeseburger.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
A 5 oz. Burger? Do I order off of the kids' menu or what?

And what's the gist here? You squeeze the burger down on the grill? Don't you lose all the juices that way?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

And what's the gist here? You squeeze the burger down on the grill? Don't you lose all the juices that way?

You smash the raw burger ball down on the griddle, then you don't eff with it.

Posts: 33583 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
A 5 oz. Burger? Do I order off of the kids' menu or what?

Watch the video in the first link. You don’t press the burger on a grill. You press it onto a fry pan or griddle. That seals the patty so you don’t lose the juices! The second video makes the same point.

And you can make two if one isn’t enough!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8844 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see. Sounds much more appetizing.

And yeah, I'll slap down three of those patties and be good to go.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BamaJeepster:

“After trying smashburgers it's now the only way the family will allow me to make them. They are great.

Cast iron skillet or griddle
80/20 or 85/15 ground beef
Divide into number of burgers you want with minimal handling, you want rough edges - not smooth balls or patties
Salt and pepper
Get cast iron really hot - use vegetable oil, it has a high smoke point
Place meat on surface and smash with burger press or spatula, get as flat as possible
Flip and put American cheese slice on top
Should have crispy edges
Remove and serve

Best burgers ever - I'll never go back to making fat patties or mini meatloafs as I now refer to them.”

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...390049354#3390049354

Serious about crackers

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Carla Makes BA Smashburgers | From the Test Kitchen | Bon Appétit

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpnshdmtE2Y

Posts: 3367 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ate at a smash burger for the first time tonight.
Their fried pickles are ok, but their haystack onions are delicious!

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post