SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great restaurant burgers – it’s the griddle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great restaurant burgers – it’s the griddle Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
It’s all about the griddle

If you’ve ever tried to cook a burger in your home kitchen or on the grill, the results were most likely hit-or-miss. Maybe it turned out perfectly cooked inside, but gray and lifeless on the outside, or possibly the outside had a nice crust but the inside was overcooked. But head to your favorite burger spot and not only are the patties perfectly cooked to your preferred temperature, they’re also nice and crusty on the outside. What gives?

Here’s the deal: Most top-notch burger places use a well-seasoned cast-iron griddle to cook their burgers. These griddles are set at a perfect temperature, one that allows the burgers to quickly get a nice crust while remaining pink on the inside; the patties are also often pressed into the griddle right after they hit the grill and then scraped off with a sharp spatula, so that all of the crust comes with it. Most great burger chefs can tell when a burger is cooked just by pressing on it, and they melt cheese on top by covering the patty with a bowl and squirting some water underneath, creating steam.

The fact of the matter is, a great burger is really hard to cook at home. But if you have a heavy-duty cast iron pan and a good metal spatula (as well as a functional hood for proper smoke ventilation), you’ve got the right tools for the job.…”

https://www.thedailymeal.com/e...taurant-burgers-best

BTW – my condo has 81 units, but mine is the only one that has an outdoor exhaust for my range hood – lucky me! Also, I have a nice Sabatier SS spatula that’s great for pressing burgers onto my cast iron pan, and scraping them off.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, I quit grilling except when I have a griddle on the grille.
I saw that tip on "the Kitchen" a while back and it's true you need to cook them in their grease to keep em juicy.
I promptly went out and got a cast iron griddle for my grille.
Another reason I got tired of them falling apart.
It is truly the only way! Cool

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I use my GrillGrate on my gas grill flipped to the smooth side and burgers come out great this way, it replicates a restaurant griddle:

You are also not smoking up your house trying to do this inside, even with a vent hood it can get smoky.

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Making me crave a burger for lunch!
One of the absolute best burgers in my area is made at the local pool hall...fresh ground beef, hand pressed patties, made to order fries and onion rings. I may be headed to Rainbow Billiards now...thanks!

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Griddle or, cast iron pan, either one will work but, the need to contain the fats and juices to maintain the moisture level of the patty is paramount.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite burger places around here is actually a Greek restaurant.

They cook their burgers on the same griddle as much of their other meat, so it gets some of the Greek seasoning and lamb flavor from the griddle cooked into it.

Topped with feta cheese, it's amazing.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
^^^That's a great idea for the grill grate. My parents gave us one last summer and I never used that. I'll have to try that for burgers.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
" burgers come out great this way" [see photo above]

that does it. We got a foot of snow on the barbie currently but next trip to the grill store I'm putting the cash down on a griddle top, as my research had almost come to the same conclusion.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
" burgers come out great this way" [see photo above]

that does it. We got a foot of snow on the barbie currently but next trip to the grill store I'm putting the cash down on a griddle top, as my research had almost come to the same conclusion.

Get one of these instead and you'll have the best of both worlds:

GrillGrates

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They are good that way,

I prefer to put mine on the smoker, low and slow, then crank up they are never raw, never over cooked, cheese melts nicely, no flare ups juicy, mmmmm!

The only thing missing is the crust, which you can get with popping them in a cast iron skillet.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I would add that the use of the flat side and no holes is the best.
Using grates with raised grease catchers and holes will defeat the purpose.
YMMV

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
There’s a hamburger joint up the road from where I live that uses a griddle that’s been in continuous use since 1916. The burgers there are indescribably delicious.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like to reverse sear them similar to how I do my steaks.

My favorite way:
  • I use an 85% lean beef/chuck and season with either S&P or Montreal Steak seasoning
  • Preheat smoker to 225F
  • Put burgers on smoker
  • Preheat a skillet to 450F
  • Cook until burger internal temp is 140-145
  • Transfer to skillet and crank the heat on the skillet
  • Flip every 30 seconds to achieve good sear
  • Cook until burger internal temp is 160

The smoke gives it a nice additional layer of flavor, get a good malliard reaction (carmelization) w/o creating a hockey puck, very even level of doneness all the way through, and it's super juicy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Info Guru
    Picture of BamaJeepster
    posted Hide Post
    After trying smashburgers it's now the only way the family will allow me to make them. They are great.

Cast iron skillet or griddle
    80/20 or 85/15 ground beef
    Divide into number of burgers you want with minimal handling, you want rough edges - not smooth balls or patties
    Salt and pepper
    Get cast iron really hot - use vegetable oil, it has a high smoke point
    Place meat on surface and smash with burger press or spatula, get as flat as possible
    Flip and put American cheese slice on top
    Should have crispy edges
    Remove and serve

Best burgers ever - I'll never go back to making fat patties or mini meatloafs as I now refer to them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
    - John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Most of time nowadays I find myself using our cast iron skillet for steaks and burgers. I really like the control and the flavor is pretty solid.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    One of my favorite burger places around here is actually a Greek restaurant.

CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER, CHEESEBURGER!
    PEPSI, NO COKE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJePACBoIo

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
    After trying smashburgers it's now the only way the family will allow me to make them. They are great.

Cast iron skillet or griddle

80/20 or 85/15 ground beef

Get cast iron really hot - use vegetable oil, it has a high smoke point

You shouldn't have to use oil in a pan with 80/20 ground beef.

It's 20% FAT.

Info Guru
    Picture of BamaJeepster
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PASig:
    You shouldn't have to use oil in a pan with 80/20 ground beef.

It's 20% FAT.

I just use a light amount to coat the pan - like wiping it with a paper towel - I never heat a dry cast iron skillet or griddle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
    - John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
    After trying smashburgers it's now the only way the family will allow me to make them. They are great. <snip>

How to make a smash burger at home – a short video. This guy has a problem with eye contact, and I’m not so sure about the mayo, but otherwise good.

https://youtu.be/K7tTcBcjI0c

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8957 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^He knows what he likes! Lol at the end.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post