SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Golden State Killer...caught by DNA from genealogy site
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golden State Killer...caught by DNA from genealogy site Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Even more detail in this article. The investigators used the killer's DNA to set up a fake profile. They entered that DNA profle into a website (GEDmatch), and the profile received hits of distant relatives. The investigators were then able to narrow it down from there.

https://www.nytimes.com

Even more detail:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...iller-genealogy.html
/2018/0...joseph-deangelo.html

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Even more detail in this article. The investigators used the killer's DNA to set up a fake profile. They entered that DNA profle into a website (GEDmatch), and the profile received hits of distant relatives. The investigators were then able to narrow it down from there.

https://www.nytimes.com

Even more detail:

<a href="https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/health/dna-privacy-golden-state-killer-genealogy.html" target="_blank">https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...iller-genealogy.html

/2018/0...joseph-deangelo.html</a>

That is pretty damn smart.

I bet there are a lot of detectives doing the same thing now.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Be reasonable. Everyone has a creepy relative that it wouldn't surprise you to discover he was an axe murderer. In all fairness, I don't think I have one, but if I did, he needs to be caught. A better question would be if you could help the "authorities" catch him, would you? I'm not even convinced anyone has the right to do criminal things. And not get caught, of course.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Great police work. Terrible idea if it means .gov database being done by private companies.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Great police work. Terrible idea if it means .gov database being done by private companies.

I think the true issue is that the private companies have so much data in their databases, the .gov has a hard time trying to figure out how to sort it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Too bad. I just saw him being pushed into court on a wheelchair. So it looks like he'll just move into a government old people's home.

One investigator said that he had been observed moving around quite well and riding his motorcycle within days of them arresting him. Don't know if it is just trying to get sympathy, or if he is has hit the bottom after the arrest - can't really speculate at this time.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by smlsig:

quote:
I can see the day that when a baby is born his/her DNA sample will be taken and put in a data base for future reference...

The cynic in me wonders if this isn't being done already. Any other dads out there remember their newborns heel poked with a small sterile surgical lance and blood blotted on a card? Sure, the nurse said it was to test for certain diseases, and I'm sure they do that, but I wondered if one of those squares wasn't sent off someplace for DNA sequencing and cataloging...to solve some future crime that can't be solved with the evidence (or lack thereof) at some future crime scene...

I'm glad this sorry excuse of a cop has been caught, but California isn't going to give him the justice he deserves.

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Too bad. I just saw him being pushed into court on a wheelchair. So it looks like he'll just move into a government old people's home.

One investigator said that he had been observed moving around quite well and riding his motorcycle within days of them arresting him. Don't know if it is just trying to get sympathy, or if he is has hit the bottom after the arrest - can't really speculate at this time.

He is definitely trying to play the old and demented game. I doubt that many in Sacto will believe him. But he is a crafty guy, makes sense that he would try.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post