SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm wanting to buy a nice watch
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm wanting to buy a nice watch Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I love Rolex or Omega. Whichever you choose, talk to Dave Truong. I have had many transactions with him and cannot recommend him more highly. An absolute gentleman.

I actually have a Coke GMT from David. Bought it from him in 2008 right off the SF classifieds. It's more than tripled in value since then. With watches (particularly if you like to change it up and buy and sell over time), it's not the purchase price, but the cost of ownership that matters. I'm lost plenty on a few over the years as well. So I'm no expert at this.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had bought me a couple breitlings and am very happy with them. Built like tanks. Definitely some models in your price range. I like a simple watch so mine are an avenger seawolf and super ocean.
My super ocean took the trip with me to Afghanistan and held up perfectly in some pretty extreme conditions.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

I actually have a Coke GMT from David. Bought it from him in 2008 right off the SF classifieds. It's more than tripled in value since then. With watches (particularly if you like to change it up and buy and sell over time), it's not the purchase price, but the cost of ownership that matters. I'm lost plenty on a few over the years as well. So I'm no expert at this.

Wait!
Dave sells Rolex’s as well?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
He sold me a used one. I guess it would depend upon what he has in stock.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As previously mentioned, I've had two Rolexes, a Daytona and a GMT II. Aside from their ability to appreciate in value, I have been unimpressed. I've said for years, the way to tell a real Rolex from a fake one is that the fake one keeps time. My Daytona from the seventies, at least had a serious, technical look to it. Recent Daytonas look like an Invicta you'd buy at Sam's Club. BTW, you might want to hold off on that $350 Alpina I recommended. After only three days, mine developed a problem. In stopwatch mode, the reset button stopped working. Oh well, back to Amazon.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
After only three days, mine developed a problem. In stopwatch mode, the reset button stopped working.

Just curious if you are resetting while the chronograph is running or stopping it first, then resetting?

This seems like as good a place as any to caution others that unless your chronograph includes "flyback" functionality you need to stop the timer first, then reset. Honestly not sure if this is an issue with quartz watches but suppose the power source has less impact on this than the mechanical components, so be sure!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
When I think pilot watch I think Breitling Navitimer. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but sort of iconic. I also like the IWC Big Pilot and the Fortis Flieger Professional Chrono.

PLEASE find me a Breitling Navitimer for $3K.

My 1970 806 Navitimer will set you back around $4.5K now.

https://www.jomashop.com/preow..._5x2B5IaAm0xEALw_wcB

https://www.jomashop.com/breit...h-a17314101b1x1.html

https://www.jomashop.com/preow...h-a13314101b1a1.html

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If you are serious about scooping up a Ball Watch I would highly recommend checking out Gnomon & Jomashop’s websites this Friday. There should be some pretty nice deals. I’m still regretting not pulling the trigger on a Seamaster last year during Black Friday when the price was slightly less obscene.

There are three Ball watches on my radar. Gonna be difficult to narrow down my choice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Damn. You guys have me wanting a Rolex just for the appreciation Big Grin

What about that one thread with the small watch makers from Hong Kong? I recall they had an octopus as a logo.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Edmond, that would be Phoibos, some people don’t like their logo I happen to love it. They have been stepping up their game BIG TIME lately. The quality of the Proteus, Voyager & Leviathan are all VERY good. They destroy Seiko’s divers in the bang for your buck department and use sapphire crystals instead of the easy to scratch mess Seiko loves to use.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...230057074#8230057074

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Zulu:
3k or less. it seems that the same movement can power watches of much different price points.

Seiko Marine Master Automatic

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
If you are serious about scooping up a Ball Watch I would highly recommend checking out Gnomon & Jomashop’s websites this Friday. There should be some pretty nice deals. I’m still regretting not pulling the trigger on a Seamaster last year during Black Friday when the price was slightly less obscene.

There are three Ball watches on my radar. Gonna be difficult to narrow down my choice...

I was looking at a couple Ball watches today on that site.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Jomashop actually has the Brietling 43mm Navitimer for $2400 after discount. Nice watch.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by well1147:
Seiko Marine Master Automatic

Ooh! Yes, please! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Are the Black Friday sale prices already shown at Jomashop or will there be further discounts?

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
look at Sinn and Fortis too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Wait!

If it sparkles, Dave sells it.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Dang! I missed out on Jomashop’s $1795 Breitling Navtimer 8 chronometer. Eek

Anyone here lucky enough to scoop up one of these before they sold out? Jomashop Breitling

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:

Wait!

If it sparkles, Dave sells it.

Or makes it Cool

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
When I think pilot watch I think Breitling Navitimer. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but sort of iconic. I also like the IWC Big Pilot and the Fortis Flieger Professional Chrono.

PLEASE find me a Breitling Navitimer for $3K.

My 1970 806 Navitimer will set you back around $4.5K now.

https://www.jomashop.com/preow..._5x2B5IaAm0xEALw_wcB

https://www.jomashop.com/breit...h-a17314101b1x1.html

https://www.jomashop.com/preow...h-a13314101b1a1.html

Sinn bought the rights to the Navitimer some time back. Does this look familiar?

https://www.watchbuys.com/stor...-Bracelet-4p2083.htm

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post