SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My mom's been acting very strange lately...now I know why...(LONG)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My mom's been acting very strange lately...now I know why...(LONG) Login/Join 
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Korsakoff syndrome

I'm not too sure TBH. The hospital staff haven't really told me much else besides what they strongly suspect.

If that's the case, she won't care. Apathy and confabulation (lying) are part of the condition.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shitty thing is that I am going to have to wait it out.
Her co workers love her but noticed a change, hospital is trying, her estranged daughter (my sister) came down to see her, nothing's helped.
I'm thinking to reach out to Al-Anon.

All throughout this whole thing, I'm still not very close to her. I'm pretty estranged from her myself.

then don't. She doesn't want help with her alcoholism, she wants help cleaning up all the shit she leaves in her wake.

If she is ready to stop, then you can decide to help her then. Until then, it is her problem and you cannot fix it for her. She has to come to realize on her own that she alone is responsible and the cavalry is not coming over the hill to rescue her.

Until she loses something of consequence that forces her to recognize what the cost of her drinking is, no amount of pleading, second chances, or excuse-making will change that.

Take care of yourself first. Don't spend time, money or anxious thoughts on someone who just wants you to make things better for them.

Check out Al-Anon, see a counselor, talk with friends and hope for the best.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
"If she is ready to stop, then you can decide to help her then. Until then, it is her problem and you cannot fix it for her. She has to come to realize on her own that she alone is responsible and the cavalry is not coming over the hill to rescue her.

Until she loses something of consequence that forces her to recognize what the cost of her drinking is, no amount of pleading, second chances, or excuse-making will change that."

In the beginning of AA they would not admit anyone who still had two same shoes on their feet! If they had that or more they were deemed to not have lost enough yet to give up self will. It's become quite a bit more open since then. Everybody's bottom is different. But she will have to want help for anything to "maybe" work for her. Some that want sobriety desperately, never make it. They are unable to live a life of honesty and sobriety. They seem to have been born that way.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you positive it is alcohol and not say..dementia?

My cousin was acting strange for a long time, I actually thought it was dementia, but it actually turned out to be alcohol and drugs.

But I would rule out dementia first.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alcohol is a primary cause of early onset dementia. Large quantities of alcohol over time cause significant damage to the brain. With the facts presented the most likely cause is alcohol dependence.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update: An hour ago I got a call from her neighbour. She's hanging out outside her house with no key to get in. She checked herself out of the hospital against her doctor's wishes. They're concerned she's going to have another seizure. And at this point in her alcohol withdrawal, she may die.
My mom might die tonight.
Last time she had a seizure she busted her head and passed out.

I called the cops to do a check wellbeing, but there isn't a whole lot more i can do. That's it, we're done.

My mom called me and I gave her shit for leaving the hospital. She said she'd go back. Then she phoned me back and said she was back in the hospital, and I demanded to speak to somebody there and she said, "OK let me pass you to a nurse," then hung up on me.

Sorry to dump on all you fine folks. I have an alcoholic mother who is going through withdrawl, has no car (her co workers took her keys away), no way to get into her own house, and she's going through very hard withdrawl. She may die tonight. And I can do nothing but wait.

I'm at my limit. I cannot go back to see her. It's too much for me.

But my girlfriend's here, all I can do is go have a nice dinner and have my phone on, and wait.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Any competent ER Doc and a SLU test can rule out dementia.

quote:
I called the cops to do a check wellbeing, but there isn't a whole lot more i can do. That's it, we're done.

It doesn't seem natural to turn away from a suffering loved one, but there is a point where trying to fix them costs too much of your own time, money and sanity.

The reality is that you have zero control over her, her health, her drinking, her job, etc., etc., etc.

And if you have zero control, you have zero responsibility.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:
Shitty thing is that I am going to have to wait it out.
Her co workers love her but noticed a change, hospital is trying, her estranged daughter (my sister) came down to see her, nothing's helped.
I'm thinking to reach out to Al-Anon.

All throughout this whole thing, I'm still not very close to her. I'm pretty estranged from her myself.

then don't. She doesn't want help with her alcoholism, she wants help cleaning up all the shit she leaves in her wake.

If she is ready to stop, then you can decide to help her then. Until then, it is her problem and you cannot fix it for her. She has to come to realize on her own that she alone is responsible and the cavalry is not coming over the hill to rescue her.

Until she loses something of consequence that forces her to recognize what the cost of her drinking is, no amount of pleading, second chances, or excuse-making will change that.

Take care of yourself first. Don't spend time, money or anxious thoughts on someone who just wants you to make things better for them.

Check out Al-Anon, see a counselor, talk with friends and hope for the best.

THIS. If she's willing to go to rehab and get help, then help her as much as possible. If not, walk away and don't look back. Only she can choose to help herself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
Update: An hour ago I got a call from her neighbour. She's hanging out outside her house with no key to get in. She checked herself out of the hospital against her doctor's wishes. They're concerned she's going to have another seizure. And at this point in her alcohol withdrawal, she may die.
My mom might die tonight.
Last time she had a seizure she busted her head and passed out.

My mom called me and I gave her shit for leaving the hospital. She said she'd go back. Then she phoned me back and said she was back in the hospital, and I demanded to speak to somebody there and she said, "OK let me pass you to a nurse," then hung up on me.

Sorry to dump on all you fine folks. I have an alcoholic mother who is going through withdrawl, has no car (her co workers took her keys away), no way to get into her own house, and she's going through very hard withdrawl. She may die tonight. And I can do nothing but wait.

I'm at my limit. I cannot go back to see her. It's too much for me.

But my girlfriend's here, all I can do is go have a nice dinner and have my phone on, and wait.

Would you be willing/able to pursue temporary guardianship with assistance from Case management/Social work?

If she is not able to articulate an understanding of her medical condition and physicians agree that she does not have capacity for making her own medical decisions, you may be able to petition to be her surrogate to get her the help that she needs.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most states have court ordered treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction. It is a matter of filing paperwork with a psycholgist or physician certifying she needs treatment. Most hospitals are aware of what is required. This sort of work is usually initiated by the hospital social worker. Basically the patient gets involuntary treatment.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left a message for the social worker but haven't heard back. The hospital says she checked out against the doctor's wishes.
The police (I called them) went by and I was hoping she'd acts strange enough to have them apprehend her but she didn't.

I tried my very best. Last night I turned my ringer off. At this point she may have a seizure and die if she hasn't.

But I can't dwell on it too much, as bad as it sounds. Gotta go live my life.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acidjazz:
I left a message for the social worker but haven't heard back. The hospital says she checked out against the doctor's wishes.
The police (I called them) went by and I was hoping she'd acts strange enough to have them apprehend her but she didn't.

I tried my very best. Last night I turned my ringer off. At this point she may have a seizure and die if she hasn't.

But I can't dwell on it too much, as bad as it sounds. Gotta go live my life.

I’m sorry to hear that but you have to take care of you. She made her choices. I know it’s hard because she is still your mom and something inside of us doesn’t want to abandon our mom but you can’t die with her.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post