SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Closed Poll Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Under the pressure for teams to change their names, how would you -- as a fan -- react? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Once again, there's pressure on certain sports teams to change their team names and mascots. I've been thinking about it some this morning, wondering what course of action most fans will take if a name change comes through.

Example: I grew up in a Redskins house. I have a Redskins flag that gets flown on football Sundays (in part to good-heartedly annoy my Cowboys fan neighbors). Suppose the team changes its name. Would I go along with the new name and carry on with little interruption? Would I be stubborn about it and continue to fly the Redskins flag? Or would I throw up my hands in disgust? I'm not sure, but being both stubborn and cheap I think I'd be tempted to keep flying my Redskins flag.

Question:
Sports fans, what would you do?

Choices:
Be stubborn and stick with the old name
Go with the change and grumble a little
Embrace the change and run with it
"I don't watch sports, so I'll just be quiet."

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m in the don’t watch sports camp...

That said, what’s with everything having to be changed? Redskins is derogatory towards native Americans?
So when are the Cowboys going to be considered “hateful” because at some point in the history if the world, a cowboy killed a person of a specific nationality or race.
The Patriots will be deemed a hateful name because in the revolutionary war the British were defeated?

I just don’t understand when America got so thin skinned?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Report This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Make me King for a day and I would fix the whole “Redskins” dilemma. Take the Indian head off the logo And replace it with a red potato in the likeness of Mr. Potato Head. Keep the name just to piss off the stupid SJWs demanding these changes. I for one am done with NFL forever and the “woke” kneeling and black national anthems further reinforce my decision. I hope they go bankrupt.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I just don’t understand when America got so thin skinned?
Started when they let everyone win / get trophies. People have a very very hard time taking Loss / Rejection / Failure / etc.

OT, fuck them all. Green Bay Packers didn't need to change their name for me to stop watching them, they just needed to get 'woke'. Haven't watched a game or followed them in years.

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Quit watching sports when the players decided it was time to use sport to further their political agenda...and stopped respecting the US flag.

Screw 'em they haven't got a dime of my money in a lot of years

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Report This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I would rather watch ice melt on a sub zero day than watch or attend an NFL game. They can change the name to Woke DC Thugs it wouldn't matter. I'd like to see the NFL and NBA go subscription channel only. You want to support the anti-America BS then pay to watch it.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted for "be stubborn...." but with that, I gave up watching pro sports a long time ago also when these over paid prima donnas decided to inject politics and political correctness.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Given my screen name, you can probably guess how I feel. I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote elsewhere.

This shit has to stop. It's not and never has been a racist name. Who names their most precious thing a derogatory term?

Survey after survey proves that Native Americans are not offended by the name. It's a source of pride, we've taken enough from the indigenous people, do we have to take this too?

The only people offended are white people named Karen. If they could show that it was offensive to a majority of Native Americans, I could be swayed. It's only affecting white women who used daddy's money to get a degree in feminist pottery making, so STFU.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The fucked up thing is these assholes demanding name changes probably don't even spend money buying apparel, going to games, etc. But let's cater to those who aren't paying us while alienating the paying fans.

If "pro" sports all went away, we would be better off. The shutdown of the NBA and MLB has been awesome. Proves we don't need them but they need us. Those fucks would be working 3rd shift at the garage door factory if they weren't born with athletic ability. Fuck them.

posted Hide Post
Has anybody seen a group of Native Americans protesting outside of the Redskins stadium ? ANY stadium ?

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
i am a casual fan of many sports... not over the top by any means

it's only an athletic form of entertainment

my take is -- since the dawn of man -- we have always wanted to compete to see who could swim across the river the fastest, lift the heaviest stone, throw a rock the furthest, etc. competing and pushing the limits of human ability is a good thing IMO.

all that said -- i don't care one iota what they call themselves

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Today, while on my way to a family gathering, I’ll drive past the Warpath Smoke Shop located on an Indian reservation. I look at the name as a source of pride, strength, and dignity. As an aside, in my view this particular tribe - after giving the state and federal government a polite middle finger - has done an amazing job of improved services for both its members and the local region.

This effort to force teams to change their names is little more than an effort to control the language. To control the language is to control us.

To be sure a sports team, like any other business, has the right to change its name for what ever reason seems sensible to ensuring the future of the business. But this effort is not about that.

I quit watching professional sports a few years ago due to its emerging wokeness; I can’t imagine ever returning as a fan.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember as a child going to a Milwaukee Braves vs Brooklyn Dodgers game. The name changes did not bother me much. Growing up a Redskins fan because they were the only team on TV every week may bother me a tiny bit.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I don't like doing anything under pressure.

If there is a broad consensus that something ought to change, well, far be it from me to complain, but when a bunch of angry, single issue activists scream, yell and bitch, my general reaction is "fuck you" and I'm less likely to change.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I chose "I don't watch sports, so I'll just be quiet.", but that's not quite accurate. I have, at times, watched sports. And there are some I still do. Just never was much interested in eggball or any of the other "Big Four" other than ice hockey, for a brief period, and baseball, long ago.

But despite my current nearly complete lack of interest in pretty much anything relating to the "Big Four" sports in the U.S., what's happening annoys and disgusts me. To the point, I believe, that, if the same thing was happening to a sport I watched, I'm pretty sure I'd simply stop watching it.

That option wasn't available, so I selected the equivalent of "None of the above."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Became a Washington Redskin fan back in the Theismann/ Riggins/ Washington/ Monk/ Manley/ Mosely era.

I'm torn by the poll question because, over the last few years of what both the NFL and some of the players have pulled. Long ago, the sport of football was based on the game of football, and I could enjoy the game of football. I played it when I was a kid.

Today's NFL and some of the players obviously no longer care about producing a product that appeals to my age group or my belief system. Now, it is equal parts diluted sport and Virtue Signaling Social Justice Warrior pre-packaged messaging. So, I quit watching the NFL.

As an even bigger baseball fan, I quit watching during the '94 strike...and if it weren't for Cal Ripken Jr. going for the record and luring me back into watching, I probably would not have returned to the sport.

I don't care one bit about this baseball season and I'm getting dangerously close to bailing on baseball in the future, depending on how both the pandemic rules, the player's actions, and the collective bargaining/ rules change goes next season.

On the one hand, as a former football fan, I don't care about what they re-name their teams...but, I will admit that there is a burning ember of my old Redskin days when I want both the owners and the fans to give a big double-barreled middle finger to the SJWs and double down on their proud non-racist names. Sing and wear them proudly...and don't cave in to the whiny, pouty, petulant, easily offended, America hating , SJW domestic terrorist's temper tantrums.

I voted Be stubborn and stick with the old name.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't really give the entertainment franchises any crap until you raise hell to FedEx, Pepsico, etc... since their freshly woke ass pushed this to the forefront.

In the end, it doesn't matter what they call themselves as long as they can sell more beer.

Monopolistic franchising and early indoctrination keeps the crowds in the seats. The sponsorship money allows the players to be paid millions every year and be broke by the time they are 26.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Report This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I just don't care. This plandemic has proved that a lot of people can work from home and can get along just fine without sports on the tube.

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
What I don't get is that we do not name our sports teams after people or groups that we do not respect.

No one is naming a sports team The Fighting Iraquis.

If we didn't respect the opponent (even a defeated opponent), we'd never name a ship, military base, etc. after them.

To erase the name is to erase the respect, at least somewhat.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Fuck the NFL and all of its gutless owners who have emboldened these thugs for years by cowtowing to their social justice bullshit. I'm a football fan, but swore off the NFL years ago when the kneeling nonsense started. I had always thought the NFL was patriotic, but then learned the US Military paid the NFL to be patriotic so that was the final nail in the coffin.

In other words, this asshattery won't change anything for me. However, if the Redskins were my team I wouldn't spend a dime on new hats, shirts, jackets, etc. and would keep wearing my old stuff.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post