SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of giving up deer hunting....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of giving up deer hunting.... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Also, forgot to mention that I am sorry for your loss. Hang in there....

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Hunting and getting the kill is only part of it. Yes, the venison is awesome, but really just getting out is it's own reward.

You may not find the perfect buck or whatever. Then again, you just might. Persevere to enjoy the experience you share with your boy. Lot's of life's lessons are not spoken, but proven in the actions we make.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What's that saying? Take your kid hunting...or go hunting for your kid?

Stick it out Ronin. You'll be glad you did...and so will your son.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting since about 1996, and got a late start at that. At 53, I still enjoy the whole experience as much as I ever have. I love being in the woods and seeing all the critters in addition to the deer.

I’ve seen bear in NC, bobcats in AL, and owls and hawks flying soundlessly through thick cover swerving this way and that. In Virginia, I once saw a hawk cruising along between the branches carrying a squirrel like a torpedo under a torpedo bomber. Walking from my stand on a warm Alabama afternoon, I watched a timber rattler eating a chipmunk. I’ve played statue with turkeys many times with varying degrees of success. I’ve cursed squirrels that boomed at me, and chuckled at birds checking me out from an arms distance away.

To me, hunting isn’t just about the kill; it is a host of other things that make sitting quietly 25’ off the ground as enjoyable as putting meat in the freezer.

I have known many people that have lost the desire, or the time, or in your case, the locations to make it more convenient. Or hunting buddies. I won’t ever lose the desire to head out into the woods in the dark and watch them slowly come alive as the sun comes up.

I hope you reconsider if you’re truly thinking of giving it up. I know I never will.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I quit three years ago and sold all equipment. Do not miss it at all!!!! Began in 2003 and quit a dozen years later.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the opposite problem-- no time usually. I stay quite busy in good weather doing plumbing, then heating season rolls around and jambs me up good. I could turn down the work and just take the time, but as Dad taught me, customer care is your business lifeblood. Just can't say no to do something I want.

I feel bad enough when I vacation with wife (family)for one usually, for 2 separate weeks a year. On the other hand, my B-I-L has no problem saying no during deer season.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It ebbs and flows (been hunting almost 40yrs now).

Some years I don't hunt at all, and I don't care a bit about trophy hunting nor could you pay me to hang stuffed critters on the wall of my house, but I do love eating venison, and I still enjoy the process of hunting, dressing, processing, and sourcing (some of) my own food, especially in today's age of 24/7 grocery stores filled with prepackaged wares of all types.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
about 23 years ago I gave it up, didnt like gutting them and the smell of the blood just repulses me to this day, also the lack of a place to go without seeing a ton of other hunters is pretty hard to find. I tried bow hunting with a friend for 1 year wounded two really nice bucks and never found them.

would rather eat a nice steak from the local grocery store, or restaurant. I still have my 30-06 rugar m 77 tang with 3x9 leopold, the shells are so old they have green junk growing on them.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I shot my last deer in 2007 and I live on my hunting/ shooting land. I love venison and have several buddies that give me meat if I allow them to shoot and sight in their rifles on my place. I haven't allowed anyone to hunt on my place and don't think I will. I have seen several deer this month even but I just hate sitting in a stand.

My job has me checking deer processors and they have lots of deer meat not picked up at the end of the season. Ronin you might try and see if any processors in your area have any deer left that you could have?

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I grew up rabbit and squirrel hunting with my Dad, I didn't start deer hunting til I married into a deer hunting family. That's when I started taking my Dad and he loved it. He's been gone now for a long time but now every time I'm in my stands I feel his presence to the point I start talking to him. So as long as I can hunt you can bet I'll be in the woods.

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Started hunting as a kid in NJ, small game with shotgun. Was in my early 20's before I killed a Jersey deer, with a recurve bow.

Moved to Montana in 1979 and went crazy over the big game and varmint hunting opportunities.
Had ups and downs with work and other responsibilities. But still killed a lot of deer, elk and antelope over the years. Even did plains game in South Africa, twice.

Several yrs back I started feeling sorry for the Game. I REALLY didn't need the meat, and in the past I killed a lot of them. Tons of other guys out there hunting them, let the young guys have at it.

I just couldn't pull the trigger anymore. Been that way for seven or eight years. My Big game hunting days are over.

Still get out a lot, do a lot of hiking , so I still see and can appreciate the game....Just have no desire to kill them anymore.

My confession.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
My best hunting buddy for 20 years was also my father in law. Shortly after he died, We lost our lease that we had hunted for 21 years. I was forced to take a year off.

I was able to secure another lease and take both of my kids hunting with their grandfather's rifle. That year off and losing the lease really made me appreciate the opportunity to hunt again.

This year I will help my cousin take his first deer, spend time in the blind with both kids and introduce one of my son's friends to hunting. I feel blessed to pass on the tradition. My father in law would approve.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted in a number of years due to number of reasons. My health issues are a big issue. I just don't have the strength and ability to spend days in the woods like I used to. Another reason is that the friends I hunted and camped with either moved or gave it up. The last time I deer hunted, I did it solo and lined up my rifle on a smallish buck and I thought, why would I kill this guy? We don't need the meat, he was no threat to me and he was just standing there. I just turned around and got in my truck and left. That was it for me. I miss it but I'm done. I won't sell my hunting rifles because of the memories they bring back when I look at them and we're talking 45+ years of memories.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have two boys, age 14 and 12. I won't be giving up my time afield with them. It's a refuge for our relationships that will always be wrapped in the generations of my family who have hunted together.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd say take your boy hunting this year if you can talk him into it. He might enjoy it, and it sounds like it's been a family tradition. Growing up overseas, I never got to hunt with my dad and Grandpa. I would have enjoyed doing that. At least I got to enjoy the stories.

As to fishing...it and hunting are not mutually exclusive. Seasons are different, and it's also a great way to spend time with your kid. It doesn't have to be terribly expensive to get into, either. We started out on the shore with less than $100 in gear, and eventually bought a $1800 boat that we've gotten great use out of for the past five years. We've had some great times fishing, especially me and my oldest. We've even brought some of his friends along and taught them to fish. It's also a great way to relax by myself from time to time.

My vote is do both.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the feedback guys.

Lots to think about.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a common misconception that the point of fishing is to catch fish. A similar statement is true of hunting. These are just activities that occur during the time spent together and instilling a love of the outdoors.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Deer season used to be like Christmas for me, opening morning like Christmas Eve. Hunted with my dad for years, then he moved away, his body would not allow it anymore so he hunted thru me. He died last year.

My hunting partner, (my father-in-law) was the perfect substitution for my dad. He treated me like a son and in someways was more of a dad to my than my own father. He died a week after my dad’s funeral last year.

My 15 year-old is showing some interest, but I think he could take it or leave it. The private land we hunt on is for sale and I refuse to gun-hunt on public land.

I love venison, but I’m finding that the process is becoming more work than I care about anymore.

Maybe it is time to start fishing again.

Any of you guys ever get ‘here’?

YES, I used to go fishing with my dad for decades. When he passed at a younger age, I lost all interest in fishing for over 10 years...….sometimes the interest comes back around.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, my dad took me hunting when I was eight years old. That would have been 1955. What is that..63 years? I never miss hunting season and it really doesn't matter If I shoot anything or not. That's not what it is all about for me. It's just being there.

You said your son is showing an interest. What you do about that is up to you but, please think it through carefully.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've been deer hunting since I was 12 years old, and I'm 51 now. I went years without hunting while in my 30's and early 40's, but I picked it up again.

The past few years I had the desire to hunt as well as the time, and I hunted hard. Probably burned myself out a little, because this season I'm just not excited about it like I have been in the past.

I sat in the blind Wednesday morning for the first time this season, and watched 5 deer that I could have shot at any time. I didn't even pick up the bow, just watched them. Strangely enough, I felt more satisfaction from that than dropping one of them. That'll change later on, I'm sure, but I was content to let them walk.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post