SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car guys, how hard would it be.....
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car guys, how hard would it be..... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did a complete replacement of the entire drive-train, all wiring, complete new suspension, disc brakes, fuel tanks, fuel lines, brake lines rebuilt window and door mechanics refurbished dash, went from auto to 4 speed and some other things.

So, took a year.

The 1968 is next.

They do all that in 45 minutes on TeeVee all the time, I see it on Velocity

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
To echo what's already been said, just buy one that as close to finished as you can find and afford. You're not equipped, tools or experience or interest wise, to do anything but cost yourself a bunch of unnecessary time, effort, and money if you try to do it yourself. Most of the time, the one who eats the biggest loss is the one who paid for the work the first time... like buying a new car, but much worse. Let someone else eat those losses.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2500 with 250,000 miles on it from a friend three years ago. It's black, runs great and cost me $5,000.00. It's cost about $1,000 to tighten the running gear and fix the steering. I've had the hood and roof repainted. With a coat of wax and a bit of effort it looks better than good. A friend of mine has the same truck, one year newer, with 650,000 miles on it. He's only changed the oil and replaced the brakes.

I understand the pleasures of owning a cool, older truck and wish you luck if you go forward with this project.

As an aside, I helped my Dad rebuild his airplane after it was totaled while tied down on the flight line after another plane ran into it. It took nearly five years to fix it. When it was done the sense of satisfaction we felt was unsurpassed.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
LOL, Sometimes the getting up off the floor would be comical if one observed me doing it.

Well, if anyone finds me expired under one of my cars, y'all can talks all the crap you want about me "dying doing what he loved", because it has been in my blood my whole life.

(My mother hung out at the drag strips and my father's and uncles speed shop in SoCal while she was preggers. I think that has a lot to do with it.)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post