SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what would some guy with a plane charge ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what would some guy with a plane charge ? Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Good summary, good analogies, slosig.

One comment re what you said about ATP and requiring type rating for Part 121: Type ratings are required for airplanes with gross weight of 12,500 lbs and above, and also for all jets regardless of gross weight. There certainly are Part 121 operations that do not require a type rating. In hand-waving terms, if flights operate on a published schedule, it's a 121 operation. Could be something as lightweight as a Baron, Navajo, Cessna 421, etc., none of which require a type rating.

Thanks V-Tail. Yes, I think Kenmore may even run some scheduled flights in Beavers, Otters, and other singles, but I can't swear to that.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether they are still operating, but several years ago there was a scheduled commuter operation between Put-In-Bay and Cleveland (?) using Ford Tri-Motors.

Probably one of the coolest 121 operations ever.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

One comment re what you said about ATP and requiring type rating for Part 121: Type ratings are required for airplanes with gross weight of 12,500 lbs and above, and also for all jets regardless of gross weight. There certainly are Part 121 operations that do not require a type rating. In hand-waving terms, if flights operate on a published schedule, it's a 121 operation. Could be something as lightweight as a Baron, Navajo, Cessna 421, etc., none of which require a type rating.

Thanks V-Tail. Yes, I think Kenmore may even run some scheduled flights in Beavers, Otters, and other singles, but I can't swear to that.

Kenmore air does run flights on Beavers, Otters on floats and also a Karavan or two..... The otters have modern turbo props..... I flew on one from Lake Union to Victoria. They have daily scheduled flights.

http://www.kenmoreair.com/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
actually , 1st class seats do not really seem that outrageous

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

Kenmore air does run flights on Beavers, Otters on floats and also a Karavan or two..... The otters have modern turbo props..... I flew on one from Lake Union to Victoria. They have daily scheduled flights.

Hold up... Did you just refer to a PT-6 as a modern turboprop? You know it was designed in 1960, right?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen it mentioned yet....

Some businessmen have found shared ownership and a paid commercial pilot (again shared) as a solution around chartering. I've maintained a fleet of planes on a maintenance management shared/ownership type operation. I've seen it done with baby citations, smaller king airs, and even the piston twins (414/421).

For businesses where you can find 2 or 3 partners with schedules that work together, it can make a lot of sense. With a little more $$, you can then run a 135 operation on the side picking up some charter business (like what's been mentioned here) to help offset your own costs and keep the pilots flying and planes cycling.

As Vtail pointed out...flying yourself on a mission as described, would not be difficult. In this day, you can buy a very capable cross-country airplane for $50-60k, and be flying it competently in 6-12 months for another $10k.

About the cost of a fully loaded 2018 expedition...lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:

Hold up... Did you just refer to a PT-6 as a modern turboprop? You know it was designed in 1960, right?

It was designed in 1960, but is a turbo prop. There are several companies that convert them with modern turbo prop engines with a lot more HP. Here is a company that has done over 40 otters. But there are several other companies that do conversions on them. They switch out the 600-675SHP PT6's and put in 900-1000SHP TPE331's allowing them short take offs, more load carrying, faster climb speeds, and faster cruise speeds.

http://texasturbines.net/index.php?lang=en

Here's a good article in Flying magazine
http://www.flyingmag.com/gear/...lt-power-texas-style

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
The PT-6 is still being upgraded and still being manufactured. I attend a Pratt & Whitney update seminar every 2 years. Don't tell P&W their PT6 isn't modern.... Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post