SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spend my money - Interior Remodel, what features would you recommend?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spend my money - Interior Remodel, what features would you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of reloader-1
posted
I bought a 1950’s house in Miami-Dade county:

Original Thread

And now I need the help of those older/wiser/more experienced. I’m divorced, with a young kid, and assuming that there will be a future Mrs. reloader-1 in the future.

The house is a single story 2 BR/1 BA1400 sq ft concrete block construction with a crawlspace and septic tank. I’ve gone to a good architect and he has sketched out a great new layout, taking into account the existing windows, load bearing walls, etc.

The new layout is going to be a 3 BR/ 3 BA under the same square footage. Two “master suites”, with bathrooms (one in the front of the house, one in the back), and a guest bathroom off of the living room. Middle room only has a closet (perfect for kids), and opens into the kitchen. Kitchen/living room are open concept, with an island in the kitchen.

Here is were I need help: the layout is mostly in stone, but all of the features can still be added as needed. Here is what I have so far, all in the plan (the entire house will be rewired, and all new plumbing as well)

- outlets and lighting in all closets
- 2nd sink in kitchen island
- walk-in glass showers (no doors)
- hidden access to safe in one of the closets
- under-cabinet lighting in kitchen

What else should I be asking the architect to include before he starts doing all of the detail work/plumbing/engineering/structural/electric etc? Any ideas that are must have?

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I would just make sure the outlets are waist high and not down low. Also check your existing A/C and heat can handle the extra space, air con especially as you're in Florida.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
A question...What compromises are you making to stuff one more bedroom, two baths, closets, and whatever else in the same 1400 square feet? What you and your architect have put together so far sounds very good, but I'm a bit concerned you might end up shoving too much into too few square feet. Usually a 3x3 in 1500sq ft results in really tiny bedrooms and closets, which is not a big selling feature if you opt to later sell the home.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Also check your existing A/C and heat can handle the extra space, air con especially as you're in Florida.

Thanks! The A/C is rated for the full 1400 (and then some), I’m not adding to the square footage (and I will adding hurricane/impact windows and new insulation in some areas, so it should become much more efficient).

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
A question...What compromises are you making to stuff one more bedroom, two baths, closets, and whatever else in the same 1400 square feet?

Good question! Honestly, the old layout was very poorly thought out, and by removing a hallway and utilizing that for the bathrooms/closets a lot of dead space was eliminated. The rooms are small, yes, (11x12), but for this neighborhood and location that’s still considered decent. Master suite has a medium size WIC, the others have about 6’ of closet width per room.

I’m a minimalist, so storage isn’t a need, but I did carve out extra room as needed for that. There is a den as well/extra area for a sofa and a small TV off the kitchen.

Here’s an old layout, the new one has stacked W/D:

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't know your local market but I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money on a house like that because you can't do those things without a lot of compromises.
You mentioned a future Mrs. Reloader and that tells me there will be a different house in the future which will mean cashing out of this one.
I'd make it livable for you and your son and easy to sell to a bachelor or young couple's first house.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Went through this a couple years ago. Eventually hired a interior designer. Saved my marriage but you don’t have that issue but it still may be a wise investment. We struggled with going to the stores and looking at small tiles of floor and counter top samples and small paint cards and one cabinet door and then trying to visualize what a entire room would look like using those samples.
In addition I didn’t want Menards or Home Depot quality we wanted a step up.

The decorator came to our house spoke with us measured everything and took a ton of pictures. Two weeks later she had us come to her studio and gave us about four computer generated styles to chose from. Worked perfect!

One of my favorite things and the wife as well is we went with a large apron farm house style sink in the kitchen. It looks awesome and great for doing large pots and pans that won’t go in the dishwasher.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8497 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to consider wider than normal doors. Especially your front door.

Nothing like trying to move a 33.5" item through a 33" door.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I don't know your local market but I'd be reluctant to spend a lot of money on a house like that because you can't do those things without a lot of compromises.

Agreed, although there are some considerations at play here. I bought it at the height of corona-panic, and it is solidly $130-145k under market price once I do the kitchen and baths (both are must-dos, they are original from 1950 and in rough shape).

The area is where I grew up, and near a major university so I’ll probably never sell, at worst I’d rent it if needed. With the 3 BR, the house has enough flexibility for future family expansion (I’m not even dating anyone yet, so that’s a ways off), and I don’t mind repainting or changing the finish on something if and when that time comes.

Whatever I put in, I should be able to extract in value for myself as well as for resale.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I think you're trying to do too much with such a relatively small square footage.

Things like a separate living room and den, and dual master suites, are potentially good ideas. Just not in a 1400 square foot house. I've also never seen a 3/3 in anything under like 1600-1800 square feet, except in multi-story townhomes where vertical separation makes it necessary.

If it were me, I'd cull the den, plus make it a 3 bedroom/2 bath. That will allow all the rooms to be noticeably larger, and let you tweak the layout some more.

You might consider shrinking the current den area down further and make it a small dining area/"breakfast nook" just off the kitchen, unless you just plan on eating every meal at the island with the sink. That will still allow rear door access from the main living area of the house.

I also don't see any kind of provision for a pantry. I know you said you don't need storage, but I can't image not having a pantry adjacent to the kitchen. Taking out the 3rd bathroom and most of the den area would allow for a pantry near the kitchen too.

I'd also make sure the master bedroom and your kid's room are on opposite ends of the house. You don't want the kid hearing all your nighttime fun through the wall, and you don't want to have to lay awake listening to their crappy choice in music or their late night video game marathons, once they become a teenager.

The 3rd bedroom can be the guest room and set up as a "bonus room", either as a second sitting area (like a den) but with a convertible bed, or as an office with a guest bed in the corner. But you'll still want as much separation from the master as possible. A true "split floorplan" may not be doable with your layout, but you'll want it at least decently separated, similar to the current layout with bathrooms, utilities, closets, etc. in between.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Around here the septic system is sized based on the number of bedrooms/bathrooms and not the size of the house. I'm assuming your architect is already aware of any potential issues like this, as you wouldn't want to find out at some point mid project that you're also paying to replace your septic system.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15684 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Cat 6 cable throughout the house, and a way to add future wire drops down the walls from the attic.

Wiring for exterior security lighting and cameras.

Electrical wiring so that one outlet in each room is on an "emergency" circuit, that can be powered separately from a generator.

Whole house surge protector.

Whole house water filtration.

Power outlets and water for a second drawer style refrigerator.

Two ovens.

Room for an in-wall security cabinet by the front door where you can keep a long gun for those "wtf is going on outside" moments.

LED shop lights in the garage. Extra points if you get them installed on races that allow proper lighting with the garage door in the up position.

Solid core or steel doors, reinforced strike plates and hinges, in the master bedroom.

Recessed outlets and media conduit in every room where TV might hang. Cover with art of you don't immediately need it.

Recessed outlet on the ceiling or high up on the wall for WiFi access points.

Some decorative trim or drywall that can be easily removed to reveal a decoy cheapie fire safe. Hidden floor safe underneath that.

Recessed lighting. Pre wire for ceiling fans, pendant lights, or chandeliers.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Guys, let me rephrase my request:

The layout is damn near set in stone, because that’s the current layout. The only changes being made from the existing is the framing/drywall/durock for the bathrooms and closets (and one wall of drywall for creating the back bedroom from an old Florida room that was enclosed in the 1960’s)

Ideally, yes, I’d like to have a different or larger space to play with, but there isn’t any. At a very affordable price, I’m making some changes to this house to make it as liveable as possible for the next X years. A big reason for the layout is there are beams or structural elements.

What I’m looking for is thoughts on minor details, features etc. I’ve lived all my life in tiny-ass places (400sq ft apartments in the US and Europe), and the layout as it stands fits our needs for at least 4-5 years, if not more.

Aetocles has been fantastic so far on advice, keep it coming!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll lay off the layout.

My next advice is to have your shower/tile guy utilize the Schluter Kerdi underlay system in the shower(s).

The new generation of waterproof membrane systems beat the hell out of the old style shower waterproofing, with a mudded pan et al. It's easier to do correctly, much more idiot proof, and much longer lasting. I did a bunch of research before last year's shower remodel, and there's zero reason to go with the old way of building showers anymore.

Also, side note: Thank you for not shoehorning a whirlpool tub into the master bathroom. I've been house hunting for the past 3 months, and I swear to Christ, 99% of the new construction and recent remodels have a goddamn knockoff jacuzzi slapped down in the master. Even where there's clearly not room for it... I've been in more than one house where if sitting on the toilet, one ass cheek is literally in contact with the side of the whirlpool tub!

This also usually means the shower is a tiny little couple foot by couple foot afterthought, crammed into one corner, usually behind the bathroom door.

It's totally unnecessary, and a waste of money and space. The vast majority of people with whirlpool tubs use it a handful of times a year, if that. Whereas the shower gets used daily, and often multiple times a day.

So you've got the right idea: Go with a nice, large walk-in master shower. You're going to be spending a large percentage of your time in it.

(The caveat is that the 2nd or 3rd bathroom needs a standard tub/shower combo. It's hard to sell a tubless house to a family with little kids, down the road.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pot filler at the stove. I added one during a remodel. Wife wasn’t too sure about it,but now she loves it.

A couple of years ago I would have voted on running the network cable, but WiFi has really improved now and you aren’t going to have an issue with distance. If a wired security system interest you , going for it, but again wireless stuff has came along way. Consider audio/visual equipment. Whole house sound. These things are really based on personal preference.

I also pretty much exclusively install plugs with usb charging points. I don’t think you mentioned natural gas but if you have it make a drop out to your back porch. A natural gas grill is awesome. Someone mentioned it already but think about you tv locations and have the plug put high on the wall. Consider electricity under every sink. Delta has some great touch less faucets but I like a/c over d/c.

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Rogue, love that recommendation for the shower tile - we both got divorced at the same time btw, and I used to live near you Wink

The entire island is going to be storage, and the W/D are stacked now so the extra room is more pantry space. I’m also asking him to bump the kitchen down and add another cabinet, as the existing living room/dining room is 24’ long. In my current apartment, I have a similar layout at 21’ and it works well.

Totally agree on the tub, this isn’t a mansion and at a certain point you have to embrace the space you have and make the best of it, not try to copy the gazillionaire on TV.

Edit: forgot to add that daughter will most likely use the room off the kitchen for a few years, then move to the back bedroom. Do you think the bathrooms/closet between the rooms are enough of an air gap for noise? It’s about 10’ wall to wall.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Around here the septic system is sized based on the number of bedrooms/bathrooms and not the size of the house. I'm assuming your architect is already aware of any potential issues like this, as you wouldn't want to find out at some point mid project that you're also paying to replace your septic system.
Excellent catch. If I remember correctly, septic regulations in Florida were re-written in 2007 which increased the required square footage for the drain field significantly.

Also, looking at the plan you provided, I'd work very hard to try and reconfigure the kitchen (even including eliminating the den) to face the kitchen and island toward the living room as opposed to at a bedroom wall. Treat the living room as a great room plan. That would be something I'd view as a design flaw if I were looking to buy the house down the road.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
With the way it's currently laid out, I do think there's enough separation between the master and the middle bedroom, at least for your daughter's younger years.

Even though it's not a true "split", which is what it seems like everyone is looking for when they buy a house (for good reason), it's likely as good as you can get with what you're working with.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Also, looking at the plan you provided, I'd work very hard to try and reconfigure the kitchen (even including eliminating the den) to face the kitchen and island toward the living room as opposed to at a bedroom wall. Treat the living room as a great room plan. That would be something I'd view as a design flaw if I were looking to buy the house down the road.

Good catch. Yes, in an open concept like this, the kitchen would ideally face out over the living room, if possible. It not only allows you to interact with guests more easily when entertaining, but also means you can watch the TV screen more easily while cooking. Wink

Doing this might even require removing the island altogether and instead doing a bar-seating-style cabinet/countertop area with the sink at the base of the kitchen, as a leg jutting out of the left wall, and overlooking the living area.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
For the kitchen, look up 'Magic Corner'. You'll want one.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16477 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Recessed LED lighting, with dimmers, and at least two circuits in the living spaces.

Raised outlets where a flat mounted TV would go thereby eliminating wires hanging down to floor. The CAT-6 to all areas where a camera would be located.

At least twice as many outlets in the garage as in the kitchen. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching the news out of Florida for the last 20 years qualifies me to reccomend,

All the insurance that you can get against hurricane's and sink holes .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54466 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post